Freedom of the Seas Review 22nd - 29th October

peteukmcr

Hi All

Well, I can finally get around to writing my review of our recent Freedom cruise (22nd – 29th October). Cruise 21 of her inaugural season.

I’ll try to be as brief (mmm, maybe not!) but as concise as possible, but since we spent 5 days in Orlando following the cruise and only arrived back in the UK on 4th Nov, hopefully I won’t have forgotten too much.

I have the Cruise Compasses if anyone wants information, I’ll try and give as much as possible.

Anyway, here we go:

Day 1 - Sunday, Embarkation – left the Intercontinental Hotel, Miami at approx. 11:00 and arrived at the port shortly afterwards. Luggage drop off was as confusing as ever, trying to find a porter was a minor problem. Queued outside the terminal for a few minutes before having documents checked and then up the escalator to security. Please note, this is the only place where the ‘Welcome Aboard’ photos were being taken.

Joined the short line for suites and checked in painlessly. However, although Platinum C&A members, no direction was given for priority embarkation, no advice of where to queue and even more importantly no instruction to use the ‘US Visit’ kiosks as non-US residents. This we had to work out for ourselves and then join the long line for photos on the Sea Pass.

Having said all that, we had boarded by 12:30 and were having lunch in the Windjammer as access to cabins is not allowed until 1 p.m.

First Impressions - The info sheet states that Wine Packages are available from Vintages, this was not the case and we had to purchase ours outside Windjammer.

Advice: If you wish to dine at Portofino’s or Chops I recommend that you make your reservation as soon as you board, as everyone else appears to be doing this and space is limited, even for later in the week and we didn’t get our first choice of time for Chops. We dined at Portofino’s on Tuesday, and Chops on Friday.

JS 1364 was excellent, the new bedding superb and the balcony is so much deeper providing even more space.

I had pre-ordered 2 lots of ‘Gifts and Gear’ to be delivered to the cabin. One was Champagne and Strawberries and a floral arrangement for sail away and 2 bottles of wine to be delivered for the next day. The wine was there (replacements for original order), but the Champagne etc wasn’t. This arrived much later, but just in time for sail away after I had to go to Guest Relations as the phone was not answered. More on my experiences of Guest Relations later. Strike number 1.

No robes were present, but our stateroom attendant advised that these would be delivered later as it takes a lot longer to launder them from the previous cruise. She did deliver them later.

The flat screen TV is great, but more on the service and provision of RCTV later!

Muster was at 4:30 and all our bags had arrived by this time. Our muster station was D25, in the Isaac dining room on deck 4.

We departed at approx. 45 minutes behind schedule, but who cares, we were off to cruise!

Dinner was casual attire and we were in Leonardo’s on deck 3, near enough to be in speaking distance to the Captain’s table! We were allocated a table for 6, but only had 2 other tablemates all week. Our tablemates were from Florida, absolutely brilliant, and such fun, they made dining a joy.

Day 2 – Monday, At Sea

The Meet and Mingle was scheduled for 10:45 (or 10:15 I can’t quite remember) in Olive or Twist on deck 14. However, despite having registered, we received no invite. I visited Guest Relations where they denied all knowledge of the meeting and suggested that I was incorrect – and didn’t attempt to find out for me. Strike number 2 for Guest Relations, keep track of the score for the end of the week!

If you don’t receive your invite, go anyway as your names are on the list as long as you have registered. All those registered did not attend, presumably as they also didn’t receive their invites. Good fun though, meeting all those we’ve been communicating with over the previous weeks. Great to put faces to names. Refreshments provided (better than previously IMHO), and the obligatory prize draw for the RCI computer mouse.

Great sailing day, no movement, plenty of space on deck, especially deck 13 ‘St Tropez’ where the sun loungers have mattress pads on them.

The H2O Zone is great for the young and ‘young at heart’ as is the Solarium for ‘adults’. The cantilevered whirlpools are always fairly busy, but with patience you can get in eventually.

The captain’s reception was held tonight with photo opportunities before he introduced the onboard team on the Royal Promenade. This is the first formal night and it was good to see that a lot of people made the effort. The only drawback, due to the number of people onboard, were the long lines for the formal portraits, despite being many locations. I would recommend waiting until after late seating dinner before having your photo taken, as the lines are considerably shorter.

We had Mojitos from Boleros, excellent, but this was the only night as by the time we came down for dinner for the rest of the week (8:30), this bar was one of the most popular onboard and space was at a premium.

Day 3 – Tuesday, Cozumel

Arrived to a showery day in Cozumel, and we just ventured ashore to check out the shops. Spent the rest of the day exploring the ship, and generally relaxing. I booked a ‘double shave and head massage’ at ‘A Close Shave’ for the next day as it was to be my birthday. The cost was $74, but by using the spa voucher in the C&A booklet, I got a further 15% discount.

I believe this may have been the only day I saw the ‘Book Nook’ open, not sure of the benefit of this area.

Had lunch at Johnny Rockets and used our C&A voucher, the food and service was good as we were seated at the counter inside.

Dined at Portofino’s absolutely excellent as usual, staff brilliant and food superb!

Day 4 – Wednesday, Grand Cayman

Arrived in Grand Cayman together with 2 Carnival, Caribbean Princess, and Radiance of the Seas – as a result it was very busy in port.

The tender process was a little disorganised and as a result it took a long time to get off the ship, with long lines from deck 2 down to deck 1. Allow plenty of time to get off if you have excursions booked!

Did the ‘Trolley Roger’ tour here, which just took you around town but was plenty of fun with the driver dressed as a pirate. Went shopping as it was my birthday!

On boarding the ship from the tender (or gangway for that matter), try and use the opposite side elevators from deck 1, you’ll get up to your deck a lot quicker!

Dinner was good fun as it was our tablemates’ 15th wedding anniversary and my birthday, so our waiters delivered 2 slices of cakes and sang to us.

Downside today, Guest Relations strike number 3. A tiny matter of the TV remote not working, but could Guest Relations and/or Housekeeping get it resolved? – no. As a result we couldn’t check our folios, order room service, or book tours never mind having to change TV channels manually. I visited Guest Relations after the 2nd replacement remote was delivered that didn’t work and was treated with complete indifference.

Day 5 – Thursday, Montego Bay

Awoke to find us already docked and being followed in by Fred Olsen’s Braemar and Radiance of the Seas.

We tried out the Rose Hall Great House tour which was informative and enjoyable. However, on the return we were given 20 minutes at a craft market. If you don’t intend to buy anything, don’t get off the bus as you will be harassed by the stall holders from the minute you step foot in the market until you escape back to the bus.

We then stopped at another shopping mall for approx 45 minutes, then back to the ship.

As we were docked at the prier, disembarkation was easy. However, returning was a different matter as we were herded into a long line that snaked around the terminal to go through the security scanners before being allowed to approach the ship. I noted that the shops in the terminal provided all the souvenirs you may want without the hassle of the craft market.

Once through security, we then had to wait in line again to board the ship and go through RCI’s security scanners.

Tonight was the 2nd formal night and again was very good.

Overall I wouldn’t rush back to Montego Bay, but at least the TV remote now worked, even though it had taken them over 24 hours to resolve.

Day 6 – Friday, Ladadee

The captain announced we would be arriving approximately 90 minutes late into Labadee as we departed 1 hour late from Montego Bay due to passengers returning from an excursion being delayed and problems overnight with the propulsion system. As a result all excursions were cancelled, monies refunded to the SeaPass accounts and we needed to rebook for any we wanted once on land.

On approaching Labadee it was shrouded in a heavy mist with poor visibility and heavy cloudy skies.

Once anchored, the tender operation appeared to proceed at lot more smoothly than in Grand Cayman.

We lazed around on Hideaway beach before returning to the ship for the rest of the day.

Had lunch at Johnny Rockets and although the food was good, the service was poor as we were seated outside. This is the first indication that RCTV was not working as the computer systems for taking the orders and producing the checks were down.

RCTV was not available for the rest of the day, or most of the next day at sea. Again not able to check SeaPass or order room service.

Day 7 – Saturday, At Sea

Relaxed and enjoyed beautiful weather for our final full day on board.

We had signed up for the Airline Valet Service, but despite both parties being on the same booking, only I received baggage tags and the relevant coloured disembarkation tags (Lavender). Guest Relations strike number 4! I could not get a satisfactory answer as to why only 1 set of tags had been provided all day. At first I was told the remaining tags would be printed later and delivered in the afternoon, then by 7 p.m. At 10:30 (30 minutes before all bags have to be outside your stateroom) I was advised that the tags could not be printed. I asked what I was supposed to do for tags for the other person’s bags, and was advised to go to Guest Relations and pick up the same colour tags! At this point we still didn’t know what time Lavender would be called, to decide what time to get out of the cabin, so I had to contact Guest Relations again and was told 07:00 – 07:45.

We decided to use both my tags on the two main bags and carry off the other to ensure that our main bags would be unloaded at the same time.

Day 8 – Sunday, Miami

We docked early in Miami and awoke to find our printed SeaPass account together with a note to advise that as there were problems with the computers, the final bill could not be provided and a full finalised bill will be posted to our home address within 14 days. Contact numbers were provided for any disputes following receipt of the final account. Therefore, as yet I am not sure of the final amount as I haven’t received the bill despite it being 9 days since we disembarked.

However, despite having requested that the amount NOT be converted into £GBP and therefore, paying RCI a conversion commission charge on every transaction when I checked in and my Set Sail Pass indicating as such, this was the 2nd year that RCI have ignored my instructions! Strike 5 for Guest Relations.

As Platinum C&A members we were invited to wait in the Cielo dining room on deck 3 for our colour to be called and refreshments were provided. Lavender was called at approximately 7:30 and we joined the line starting to snake towards the Photo Gallery on deck 4 from the aft exit.

We were allowed off in groups in order to prevent a long line at immigration. Again as non-US residents we are obliged to provide fingerprints and have our photos taken. Unfortunately, one machine was not working so that slowed down the process for us non-US passengers.

However, once off, our bags arrived promptly in the terminal and were taken by the airline reps once we cleared customs. We grabbed a cab and arrived at Miami airport shortly after 9.

In Summary

Positives

Ship great, production shows superb, ice show excellent, main dining room food – great and plenty of choice, speciality restaurants (staff and food) – absolutely superb worth every penny of the $20. Stateroom attendant – very friendly, efficient, bar staff – cheerful, helpful and good fun. Ben & Jerry’s, good value for a large cup of ice cream (and I mean large!) for $4.

Negatives

Poor service from Guest Relations and check in staff. Poor service from Johnny Rockets considering the cover charge of $3.95 on our 2nd visit.

Overall

GREAT, enjoyed it all, the captain can’t control the weather, so the odd day where it isn’t hot and sunny doesn’t matter, there’s plenty to do!

The positives greatly outweigh the negatives, just relax and enjoy!

Hi All

Well, I can finally get around to writing my review of our recent Freedom cruise (22nd – 29th October). Cruise 21 of her inaugural season.

I’ll try to be as brief (mmm, maybe not!) but as concise as possible, but since we spent 5 days in Orlando following the cruise and only arrived back in the UK on 4th Nov, hopefully I won’t have forgotten too much.

I have the Cruise Compasses if anyone wants information, I’ll try and give as much as possible.

Anyway, here we go:

Day 1 - Sunday, Embarkation – left the Intercontinental Hotel, Miami at approx. 11:00 and arrived at the port shortly afterwards. Luggage drop off was as confusing as ever, trying to find a porter was a minor problem. Queued outside the terminal for a few minutes before having documents checked and then up the escalator to security. Please note, this is the only place where the ‘Welcome Aboard’ photos were being taken.

Joined the short line for suites and checked in painlessly. However, although Platinum C&A members, no direction was given for priority embarkation, no advice of where to queue and even more importantly no instruction to use the ‘US Visit’ kiosks as non-US residents. This we had to work out for ourselves and then join the long line for photos on the Sea Pass.

Having said all that, we had boarded by 12:30 and were having lunch in the Windjammer as access to cabins is not allowed until 1 p.m.

First Impressions - The info sheet states that Wine Packages are available from Vintages, this was not the case and we had to purchase ours outside Windjammer.

Advice: If you wish to dine at Portofino’s or Chops I recommend that you make your reservation as soon as you board, as everyone else appears to be doing this and space is limited, even for later in the week and we didn’t get our first choice of time for Chops. We dined at Portofino’s on Tuesday, and Chops on Friday.

JS 1364 was excellent, the new bedding superb and the balcony is so much deeper providing even more space.

I had pre-ordered 2 lots of ‘Gifts and Gear’ to be delivered to the cabin. One was Champagne and Strawberries and a floral arrangement for sail away and 2 bottles of wine to be delivered for the next day. The wine was there (replacements for original order), but the Champagne etc wasn’t. This arrived much later, but just in time for sail away after I had to go to Guest Relations as the phone was not answered. More on my experiences of Guest Relations later. Strike number 1.

No robes were present, but our stateroom attendant advised that these would be delivered later as it takes a lot longer to launder them from the previous cruise. She did deliver them later.

The flat screen TV is great, but more on the service and provision of RCTV later!

Muster was at 4:30 and all our bags had arrived by this time. Our muster station was D25, in the Isaac dining room on deck 4.

We departed at approx. 45 minutes behind schedule, but who cares, we were off to cruise!

Dinner was casual attire and we were in Leonardo’s on deck 3, near enough to be in speaking distance to the Captain’s table! We were allocated a table for 6, but only had 2 other tablemates all week. Our tablemates were from Florida, absolutely brilliant, and such fun, they made dining a joy.

Day 2 – Monday, At Sea

The Meet and Mingle was scheduled for 10:45 (or 10:15 I can’t quite remember) in Olive or Twist on deck 14. However, despite having registered, we received no invite. I visited Guest Relations where they denied all knowledge of the meeting and suggested that I was incorrect – and didn’t attempt to find out for me. Strike number 2 for Guest Relations, keep track of the score for the end of the week!

If you don’t receive your invite, go anyway as your names are on the list as long as you have registered. All those registered did not attend, presumably as they also didn’t receive their invites. Good fun though, meeting all those we’ve been communicating with over the previous weeks. Great to put faces to names. Refreshments provided (better than previously IMHO), and the obligatory prize draw for the RCI computer mouse.

Great sailing day, no movement, plenty of space on deck, especially deck 13 ‘St Tropez’ where the sun loungers have mattress pads on them.

The H2O Zone is great for the young and ‘young at heart’ as is the Solarium for ‘adults’. The cantilevered whirlpools are always fairly busy, but with patience you can get in eventually.

The captain’s reception was held tonight with photo opportunities before he introduced the onboard team on the Royal Promenade. This is the first formal night and it was good to see that a lot of people made the effort. The only drawback, due to the number of people onboard, were the long lines for the formal portraits, despite being many locations. I would recommend waiting until after late seating dinner before having your photo taken, as the lines are considerably shorter.

We had Mojitos from Boleros, excellent, but this was the only night as by the time we came down for dinner for the rest of the week (8:30), this bar was one of the most popular onboard and space was at a premium.

Day 3 – Tuesday, Cozumel

Arrived to a showery day in Cozumel, and we just ventured ashore to check out the shops. Spent the rest of the day exploring the ship, and generally relaxing. I booked a ‘double shave and head massage’ at ‘A Close Shave’ for the next day as it was to be my birthday. The cost was $74, but by using the spa voucher in the C&A booklet, I got a further 15% discount.

I believe this may have been the only day I saw the ‘Book Nook’ open, not sure of the benefit of this area.

Had lunch at Johnny Rockets and used our C&A voucher, the food and service was good as we were seated at the counter inside.

Dined at Portofino’s absolutely excellent as usual, staff brilliant and food superb!

Day 4 – Wednesday, Grand Cayman

Arrived in Grand Cayman together with 2 Carnival, Caribbean Princess, and Radiance of the Seas – as a result it was very busy in port.

The tender process was a little disorganised and as a result it took a long time to get off the ship, with long lines from deck 2 down to deck 1. Allow plenty of time to get off if you have excursions booked!

Did the ‘Trolley Roger’ tour here, which just took you around town but was plenty of fun with the driver dressed as a pirate. Went shopping as it was my birthday!

On boarding the ship from the tender (or gangway for that matter), try and use the opposite side elevators from deck 1, you’ll get up to your deck a lot quicker!

Dinner was good fun as it was our tablemates’ 15th wedding anniversary and my birthday, so our waiters delivered 2 slices of cakes and sang to us.

Downside today, Guest Relations strike number 3. A tiny matter of the TV remote not working, but could Guest Relations and/or Housekeeping get it resolved? – no. As a result we couldn’t check our folios, order room service, or book tours never mind having to change TV channels manually. I visited Guest Relations after the 2nd replacement remote was delivered that didn’t work and was treated with complete indifference.

Day 5 – Thursday, Montego Bay

Awoke to find us already docked and being followed in by Fred Olsen’s Braemar and Radiance of the Seas.

We tried out the Rose Hall Great House tour which was informative and enjoyable. However, on the return we were given 20 minutes at a craft market. If you don’t intend to buy anything, don’t get off the bus as you will be harassed by the stall holders from the minute you step foot in the market until you escape back to the bus.

We then stopped at another shopping mall for approx 45 minutes, then back to the ship.

As we were docked at the prier, disembarkation was easy. However, returning was a different matter as we were herded into a long line that snaked around the terminal to go through the security scanners before being allowed to approach the ship. I noted that the shops in the terminal provided all the souvenirs you may want without the hassle of the craft market.

Once through security, we then had to wait in line again to board the ship and go through RCI’s security scanners.

Tonight was the 2nd formal night and again was very good.

Overall I wouldn’t rush back to Montego Bay, but at least the TV remote now worked, even though it had taken them over 24 hours to resolve.

Day 6 – Friday, Ladadee

The captain announced we would be arriving approximately 90 minutes late into Labadee as we departed 1 hour late from Montego Bay due to passengers returning from an excursion being delayed and problems overnight with the propulsion system. As a result all excursions were cancelled, monies refunded to the SeaPass accounts and we needed to rebook for any we wanted once on land.

On approaching Labadee it was shrouded in a heavy mist with poor visibility and heavy cloudy skies.

Once anchored, the tender operation appeared to proceed at lot more smoothly than in Grand Cayman.

We lazed around on Hideaway beach before returning to the ship for the rest of the day.

Had lunch at Johnny Rockets and although the food was good, the service was poor as we were seated outside. This is the first indication that RCTV was not working as the computer systems for taking the orders and producing the checks were down.

RCTV was not available for the rest of the day, or most of the next day at sea. Again not able to check SeaPass or order room service.

Day 7 – Saturday, At Sea

Relaxed and enjoyed beautiful weather for our final full day on board.

We had signed up for the Airline Valet Service, but despite both parties being on the same booking, only I received baggage tags and the relevant coloured disembarkation tags (Lavender). Guest Relations strike number 4! I could not get a satisfactory answer as to why only 1 set of tags had been provided all day. At first I was told the remaining tags would be printed later and delivered in the afternoon, then by 7 p.m. At 10:30 (30 minutes before all bags have to be outside your stateroom) I was advised that the tags could not be printed. I asked what I was supposed to do for tags for the other person’s bags, and was advised to go to Guest Relations and pick up the same colour tags! At this point we still didn’t know what time Lavender would be called, to decide what time to get out of the cabin, so I had to contact Guest Relations again and was told 07:00 – 07:45.

We decided to use both my tags on the two main bags and carry off the other to ensure that our main bags would be unloaded at the same time.

Day 8 – Sunday, Miami

We docked early in Miami and awoke to find our printed SeaPass account together with a note to advise that as there were problems with the computers, the final bill could not be provided and a full finalised bill will be posted to our home address within 14 days. Contact numbers were provided for any disputes following receipt of the final account. Therefore, as yet I am not sure of the final amount as I haven’t received the bill despite it being 9 days since we disembarked.

However, despite having requested that the amount NOT be converted into £GBP and therefore, paying RCI a conversion commission charge on every transaction when I checked in and my Set Sail Pass indicating as such, this was the 2nd year that RCI have ignored my instructions! Strike 5 for Guest Relations.

As Platinum C&A members we were invited to wait in the Cielo dining room on deck 3 for our colour to be called and refreshments were provided. Lavender was called at approximately 7:30 and we joined the line starting to snake towards the Photo Gallery on deck 4 from the aft exit.

We were allowed off in groups in order to prevent a long line at immigration. Again as non-US residents we are obliged to provide fingerprints and have our photos taken. Unfortunately, one machine was not working so that slowed down the process for us non-US passengers.

However, once off, our bags arrived promptly in the terminal and were taken by the airline reps once we cleared customs. We grabbed a cab and arrived at Miami airport shortly after 9.

In Summary

Positives

Ship great, production shows superb, ice show excellent, main dining room food – great and plenty of choice, speciality restaurants (staff and food) – absolutely superb worth every penny of the $20. Stateroom attendant – very friendly, efficient, bar staff – cheerful, helpful and good fun. Ben & Jerry’s, good value for a large cup of ice cream (and I mean large!) for $4.

Negatives

Poor service from Guest Relations and check in staff. Poor service from Johnny Rockets considering the cover charge of $3.95 on our 2nd visit.

Overall

GREAT, enjoyed it all, the captain can’t control the weather, so the odd day where it isn’t hot and sunny doesn’t matter, there’s plenty to do!

The positives greatly outweigh the negatives, just relax and enjoy!

glad you had a great time. any crew members that made your stay even that much better? did you make it to the pub at night (bull&bear,deck5)? also, how many kids were onboard? im talking age range from 15 - 25 mainly...thanks.

-Jordan

Hi Peter,

Great review. I'm so glad you guys had a great time and did not let the Guest Relations staff upset you. We had the same problems with our remote on the Freedom back in Sept. We left a post-it-note for the cabin attendant and he gave us another one, but we had problems with that one also. I'm not sure what the problem is but hopefully they will get that ironed out soon.

And we had the same problem with Johnny Rockets. We sat outside and the service was awful and I really didn't find the food to be that good this time. But the hot fudge brownie sundae was to die for:D

I thought the Freedom was beautiful also and you really could just stay on the ship for the whole 7 days and enjoy her instead of getting off at the islands. Especially if you've been to the islands before as we have many times.

Once again, thanks for your review. I really enjoyed it and I wish we were back on any cruise ship right now.

Hi All

Well, here's some of the answers to your questions!

Jordan - Our dining room waiter made it for us, not sure whether I can mention him by name but he was great.

Also the Loyalty Ambassador had just returned from vacation and she was the one we booked this cruise with when on Navigator in 2005! Even with all the passengers she must see over that 18 month period she remembered us! She sent me a birthday present that was delivered and consumed happily in the cabin! Needless to say we booked our next cruise on board with her. She always made time to chat when you saw her.

Our stateroom attendent was also so nice, always had a laugh, joke and a wave when you saw her.

Our head waiter also appeared more often than on previous cruises and although not present on the last night due to preparing for the next day, he made sure his fiancé came and spoke to us at dinner. Nice touch.

We didn't make it to the Bull & Bear, not my kind of venue, not my idea of an English pub! Very popular though.

I couldn't say that there were many kids in the 15 - 25 age range and now that the age limit for alcohol has been raised and strictly enforced to over 21's only there didn't appear to be much trouble from that age range! There appeared to be more trouble from those older who should know better! Many mid to late 20's who wanted to be noticed.

Linda - Great to hear from you. Yes, as I said the positives out weigh the negatives and after my first day back at work I wish I was still onboard! 7 days just doesn't give you time to try out all she has to offer (FlowRider, Ice Skating etc.). I did really enjoy it honestly!

quiltsnh - your muster station must depend on the location of your cabin. The majority are still on deck 4 outside. This is the 2nd time we've had muster in the dining room, but I don't know the reasoning behind whether you are allocated in or outdoors.

Now I've got my Compasses to hand I can give a bit more info.

Day 1 - Bon Voyage Dinner, Casual Attire, Main Seating 6:15 pm, 2nd seating 8:45

Welcome Aboard Show in the Arcadia Theatre

Party Around the World Parade, Royal Promenade

Day 2 - Captain's Gala Dinner, Formal Attire, Main seating 6:00 pm, 2nd seating 8:30 pm (these times stay the same for the remainder of the week).

Marquee Production show in the Arcadia Theatre - a tribute to Broadway, excellent

Day 3 - Crown & Anchor Dinner, Casual or 50's - 70's attire

Headliner Showtime in the Arcadia Theatre

50's & 60's Dance Party in Pharaoh's Palace

70's Disco party on the Royal Promenade

Day 4 - Surf Dinner, Casual or Surf Attire

Freedom-Ice.Com Ice show (tickets distributed day 2, 9:45 - 11:00 am in the On Air club, deck 3)

Love and Marriage Game Show

Surfing under the stars dance party - Poolside deck 11

Day 5 - Venetian Feast, Formal Attire

Freedom-Ice.Com Ice Show

Headliner Showtime

The Quest

Day 6 - Chef's Dinner, Casual Attire

Freedom Circus Sea Parade, Royal Promenade

Once Upon A Time Production Show, Arcadia Theatre - excellent

Studio '84 dance party, Studio B

Twenty VIP Adults only club, Solarium, Deck 11 - excellent

Day 7 - Feast of Nations, Casual Attire

Farewell Variety Show

Intimate Jazz Cabaret, Olive or Twist, deck 14

Hope this helps!

Fantastic photos - thanks for sharing - we go on the Freedom next Sunday so counting down the days

Kelynj - Have a great time, you'll love it, the number of cruisers from the UK was the largest I've known on our cruise, nearly 500! We need to keep that number growing!

glad you had a great time. any crew members that made your stay even that much better? did you make it to the pub at night (bull&bear,deck5)? also, how many kids were onboard? im talking age range from 15 - 25 mainly...thanks.

-Jordan

Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for the review, as you know we were on this sailing and it brought back some great memories - wish we were still there!!

We also had problems with our remote control and also the TV, must say though that I called Guest Relations in the morning and by the time we came back to our cabin everything was sorted. Also as regards the RCTV, we ordered room service one morning but because of problems it didnt arrive, anyway they apologised profusely and even send a plate of chocolate strawberry's the next day as a "sorry" - nice touch I thought as these things cant be helped. Also they called the next morning to ask whether room service was required - excellent considering it must have happened to hundreds of cabins.

Jordan - we did go in the pub and absolutely loved it!! I agree its not a typical English pub but the atmosphere in there is fantastic (if thats your kind of thing) The guitarist is great and really gets the crowd going - also the waiters and waitresses in there are excellent and very very obliging and friendly.

As for special bar staff that made our cruise memorable I've gotta mention Vinny and Rudy in the Schooner Bar - they were fab, especially Vinny who had a different joke for us every night. Vinny left the ship the same day as us but Rudy is still there and he's great. Also at the pool bar Alva is the best waiter we have ever ever had on a RCCL ship, his service was very personal and he was so so funny - a great guy who has been with RCCL for 15 years and really knows what its all about ;)

We had such a fantastic time whilst on board we booked for the Liberty on 20th October 2007 and also Voyager for next August and I cant wait.

To all you people yet to cruise the Freedom you will have the most fantastic time - just savour every moment because time just "sails" by far far to quickly.

Debs

Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for the review, as you know we were on this sailing and it brought back some great memories - wish we were still there!!

We also had problems with our remote control and also the TV, must say though that I called Guest Relations in the morning and by the time we came back to our cabin everything was sorted. Also as regards the RCTV, we ordered room service one morning but because of problems it didnt arrive, anyway they apologised profusely and even send a plate of chocolate strawberry's the next day as a "sorry" - nice touch I thought as these things cant be helped. Also they called the next morning to ask whether room service was required - excellent considering it must have happened to hundreds of cabins.

Jordan - we did go in the pub and absolutely loved it!! I agree its not a typical English pub but the atmosphere in there is fantastic (if thats your kind of thing) The guitarist is great and really gets the crowd going - also the waiters and waitresses in there are excellent and very very obliging and friendly.

As for special bar staff that made our cruise memorable I've gotta mention Vinny and Rudy in the Schooner Bar - they were fab, especially Vinny who had a different joke for us every night. Vinny left the ship the same day as us but Rudy is still there and he's great. Also at the pool bar Alva is the best waiter we have ever ever had on a RCCL ship, his service was very personal and he was so so funny - a great guy who has been with RCCL for 15 years and really knows what its all about ;)

We had such a fantastic time whilst on board we booked for the Liberty on 20th October 2007 and also Voyager for next August and I cant wait.

To all you people yet to cruise the Freedom you will have the most fantastic time - just savour every moment because time just "sails" by far far to quickly.

Debs

Vinny as in Vineet Sagaar? The guy from India. Man he was the best...we had him in June...he was awesome. By the second day he knew all of us by name which was pretty impressive. He also showed us many jokes...and some wriddles with toothpicks haha....When you say he "left" the ship, meaning he went home? Any idea for how long? In June he told me that he was going home in september and would be back onboard November thru the spring...so im a little confused...what did he tell you in terms of his vacation? Thanks.

-Jordan

oh and who was the pub guy? was it Jimmy Blakemore or scott perham? its awesome in there...good songs.

Thanks for sharing your review and pics. Glad you had a great time.:)

Did you try your luck in the casino?

Hi Matisse05 - The only time we used the Casino was for playing slots, no table games. Had fun on some slots though and didn't leave worse off!

debs...any idea about Vinny yet? when he said he would be coming back?

Hi Jordan

Isn't Vinny the best, he used to make us roses out of the straw's every night and like you said by day 2 he knew everyone by name and their drinks - fab guy

He either said he was off the ship for 3 months or that he'd be back in February, we spoke to several who were leaving that weekend so I've lost track in who answered what. But he is definately coming back so he should be there for your next Freedom Cruise, when you see him say "hi" to him for me.

Also the guitarist in the pub was Jimmy Blakemore, I didnt think he was quite as good as the guy we had on the Voyager in August but still he was great and created a fab atmosphere.

Did you get any pics of Vinny as we realised once we got home that we didnt take one of him, if so would you mind emailing it to me?

Thanks

Debs

Hi Jordan

Isn't Vinny the best, he used to make us roses out of the straw's every night and like you said by day 2 he knew everyone by name and their drinks - fab guy

He either said he was off the ship for 3 months or that he'd be back in February, we spoke to several who were leaving that weekend so I've lost track in who answered what. But he is definately coming back so he should be there for your next Freedom Cruise, when you see him say "hi" to him for me.

Also the guitarist in the pub was Jimmy Blakemore, I didnt think he was quite as good as the guy we had on the Voyager in August but still he was great and created a fab atmosphere.

Did you get any pics of Vinny as we realised once we got home that we didnt take one of him, if so would you mind emailing it to me?

Thanks

Debs

3 months seems like a very long vacation...most crew have 6 - 9 weeks off...are you sure? yea ill try to email pictures that i have of him. who did you have on voyager last year in the pub?

-Jordan

3 months seems like a very long vacation...most crew have 6 - 9 weeks off...are you sure? yea ill try to email pictures that i have of him. who did you have on voyager last year in the pub?

-Jordan

I'm sure I remember him saying it was that long, because I commented that he might not want to go back after such a long break - but he assured me otherwise!! Saying all that though I was probably guilty of having one to many vodka's so I'm not saying for definate, if I'm wrong I'm pleading "temporary insanity" !!

I really cant remember the name of the guy from the voyager he was a blonde chubby guy an was absolutely fab. I'd post a pic but I dont know how to!!

Sorry if you've already answered this but are you sailing the Freedom soon, is so when?

Debs

Loved your review! It was concise and brings back all the good memories of our July 9th Freedom cruise!! Sorry to hear the computer was down and your tv remote didn't work. We have never had this problem, but can see your frustration--glad you didn't let it ruin your cruise. We have always had balcony rooms, so for room service we put out our door knob menu every night-you must not have had this option. We also had to muster outside--hot, but expected, and part of the experience we go thru to be on a cruise.

I'm sure I remember him saying it was that long, because I commented that he might not want to go back after such a long break - but he assured me otherwise!! Saying all that though I was probably guilty of having one to many vodka's so I'm not saying for definate, if I'm wrong I'm pleading "temporary insanity" !!

I really cant remember the name of the guy from the voyager he was a blonde chubby guy an was absolutely fab. I'd post a pic but I dont know how to!!

Sorry if you've already answered this but are you sailing the Freedom soon, is so when?

Debs

yes im sailing freedom next month 12/24 and also in January 1/14...so yeah ill be on freedom for 14 out of 28 days haha im pretty pumped. Vinny told me in June (when i was onboard) that he would definitely be back for 12/24...i guess things can change, but maybe he is off for 8 weeks...o well who knows. There are always awesome crew members, but he was one of the best. What about this Rudy? what was he like? any idea if he will be on next month?

Could you please explain airline valet service.

Thank you

Hi IvesGrandmama

The Airline Valet Service is available to those passengers who are flying on a domestic flight within the US from either Miami or Fort Lauderdale on the day of departure from the ship. We were flying with American, but I think it was available to passengers flying with Continental and Delta as well. There may have been more, but the form clearly states for which airlines the service is available.

Your flight has to be after 12 pm from Miami or 1 pm from Fort Lauderdale.

If costs $10 per person and you fill in a form and provide it to Guest Relations (before 6 pm Thursday if I remember correctly). You need to provide the details of all passengers on the flight, the flight number, where you are departing from, at what time, and where you are flying to. You also need to specify the number of bags to be checked in for each person.

Once these details are provided then Guest Relations contact the airline to verify the booking.

On the day before departure you should then receive 2 tags for each bag, 1 is the airline tag with your details printed on and the other the colour tag indicating which group you have been allocated for disembarkation (we had Lavender which was 7 am - 7:45 am). So if you 3 bags you'll receive 6 tags (3 airline and 3 coloured tags).

You put a set of both tags on each of your bags before you leave them outside the cabin on the last evening (before 11 pm) for staff to pick up and store for when offloading off the ship.

The next day you disembark as normal, pass through immigration and collect your bags from the baggage carousels. You then pass through customs and proceed to the 'Airline Valet' desks that are clearly marked.

Representatives from the airlines are there to take your bags from you to send to the airport and load onto your flight. Another representative will ask for your cabin number and then provide you with your boarding passes for the flight.

All you need to do then is go to the airport and proceed through security straight to the gate (check your boarding card and the displays in the airport as the flight departed from different gate to that printed on my boarding card).

The next time you'll see your checked in bags will be at your destination airport.

It worked well for us.

peteukmcr

Just returned from the Freedom myself. I lost a memory card while on the ship - had gone around the ship and took some similar photos - wondering if you would mind sharing? I did not want to get messed up in the webshots- have had trouble with similar sites in the past. Thanks for posting your review and pictures.

yes im sailing freedom next month 12/24 and also in January 1/14...so yeah ill be on freedom for 14 out of 28 days haha im pretty pumped. Vinny told me in June (when i was onboard) that he would definitely be back for 12/24...i guess things can change, but maybe he is off for 8 weeks...o well who knows. There are always awesome crew members, but he was one of the best. What about this Rudy? what was he like? any idea if he will be on next month?

Do you know maybe my brain was fogged with vodka!! I've just asked my husband and he seems to remember that Vinny said he'd be back in January - hopefully you'll catch up with him on at least one of your two cruises (you lucky lucky thing)!!

Rudy said he was staying on the ship, he is a great guy, not as funny or entertaining as Vinny but very professional and he was also good at remembering drinks and names etc very quickly. As I mentioned in an earlier post if you hang around the pool and sky bar a great waiter there is Alva. He is from Jamaica and is totally fab, he made our cruise that extra special. Just watch out when he's doing your drinks though as they are VERY strong. If you treat him right he'll treat you right - if you get my drift ;)

Really jealous of your TWO Freedom cruises, I'm suffering terribly from PDC and so so so wish I was going on another cruise and soon. This was our fourth RCCL cruise and so far probably the best, I loved this ship and cant wait to sail Liberty next year :D Saying that I love ALL the RCCL ships we've been on so far and have always had the most fantastic time, so far for me they are the best.

peteukmcr

Just returned from the Freedom myself. I lost a memory card while on the ship - had gone around the ship and took some similar photos - wondering if you would mind sharing? I did not want to get messed up in the webshots- have had trouble with similar sites in the past. Thanks for posting your review and pictures.

new2cruisin1 - no problem with sharing are there any particular ones you are interested in?

Archived