Booking a honeymoon on PG--where to start?

SoonToBeMrsM

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are planning a Tahitian cruise for late Oct. 07. I need some advice on how to book the cruise. Should I just do everything (including airline and extra nights) through Regent, or would I be better off handling the plane tickets myself to save money? Is the savings worth the extra effort?

With all the wedding planning I'm doing, I'm leaning towards paying extra and having Regent book everything--unless it's a total rip-off. (I'm trying to do comparisons on airfare and I went to the Air Tahiti website but can't get prices for tickets this far out.) We'd be leaving from Seattle (flying to LAX) so we're on the cheaper end of Regent-offered airfare. I've been on numerous non-Regent cruises but they all left through the US and booking flights myself was easy enough.

Also, any recommendations on where to stay a couple nights prior to the cruise? We're interested in overwater bungalows for 2-3 nights.

Thanks everyone!

PG cruises are the one case in which we use Regent Air because it is difficult to get good deals on your own unless you're flying directly from LAX or JFK or you have loads of FF miles to use. As seen on other threads, it's also some times possible to get last-minute upgrades at the airport on ATN for relatively bargain prices. Last time we went, we stayed at the Radisson on PPT. It was great and relatively inexpensive, but has no OWBs. I'm sure others will chime in on their preferences on that score.

I agree with Dreps, in this case it's better to use Regent for the air. You get extra time on the ship after the cruise, a dayroom thrown in, and all transfers.

I would also seriously have a look at the price of their pre-cruise packages. They used to be a good deal, but I know prices have gone up. But if you look at package prices elsewhere (like tahiti-explorer.com, who offer packages), they are also pretty pricey.

If you do book a hotel privately, your best bet for value and romance is Moorea, I believe. And you can still book air through Regent, and just pay the deviation fee, and lose your embarkation transfer, no big deal.

I WAY ditto what the others have said. We used a TA who really messed up our trip. Regent has it all under control, if you choose to go that way.

Also, we much preferred our time in Moorea than our Tahiti time. I'd check tripadvisor for ideas about hotels....and be ready to book soon, as the Pearl said that they book the OWB's about a year out.

Karen

Since you are on the west coast, it is pretty easy to book airfare to Papeete, IMHO. You go to LA, and then there are non-stop flights to Papeete. We saved a lot of money this way. We booked our own pre-cruise room at the Radisson, which as previously mentioned, does not have OWB. It does have a beautiful horizon pool and really nice rooms and an open-air bar where you can sit and watch the sun set over Moorea. We found the Regent rates for hotels were quite expensive, even when you factor in the transfers. You will have an amazing time, the Paul Gaugin is just the best!

We just got back from our third trip on the PG.You may be able to beat the Regent prices for airfare and precruise. I only looked at cursory prices before I booked through Regent again. We were flying from Louisiana so we needed domestic and over the water air travel and it did not appear to me that even the specials Air Tahiti Nui runs would save much money when combined with the domestic legs booked separately. But you certainly should look and decide yourself.

I also tried to figure out a precruise independent cost but I got really frustrated with the domestic Air Tahiti website and concluded that the possible savings were not worth the risk or the frustration.

You also should be aware that if you booked everything through Regent and something goes awry, they take care of you. They get you to and from everywhere. And put you up in a hotel if necessary as part of the deal.

On the cruise there were alot of folks booked through Vantage, apparently they are owned by the same folks that own Regent. Maybe they get a good deal but I haven't checked that out yet.

Finally, just my view. If it is your honeymoon, do you really want to experiment? You probably have enough worries, this trip will be outstanding.

We met a couple from Lexington Kentucky on their honeymoon on the PG. They also were at Tikehau with us. They loved the trip, just like us 50 somethings. Good luck!

We're getting ready for our third cruise on the PG and we've always used our trusted travel agent. However, I think she calls regent and books air, cruise and pre and post cruise hotels through them. So far, no glitches. As far as a hotel on Tahiti, we always go to the Beachcomber. I love their sand pool. We've stayed in their over-water bungalows a couple of times and liked them very much. However, we haven't used any other overwaters, so can't compare. Have a great trip.

Dan

Archived