Seattle to San Diego Cruise

Juanita462

Has anyone here done the cruise that sails out of Seattle and goes to Russia, China, Japan, Indonesia, Australia etc. and back to San Diego?

We are looking at this, but it is very expensive and would like to know if it is worth the cost. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone here done the cruise that sails out of Seattle and goes to Russia, China, Japan, Indonesia, Australia etc. and back to San Diego? We are looking at this, but it is very expensive and Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I was on the 05 62 day Asia/Pacific cruise. What type of info do you need? The ship was the Amsterdam.

would like to know if it is worth the cost.

The cruise for me was a once in a life time type of thing. I really didn't think of the cost so much as to where the ship was going. Sure, it was expencive. But you are going to a lot of differant places.

I was ticked off that they cancelled the stop in Indonesia. Though with the bombing back then it's understandable. :) Though, the visa was pretty expencive and there was no way in getting reenbursed for that. :( Everything else was credited to my ship board account.

The first 14 days out of Seattle were interesting, loosing an hour each day till the day before we reached the first port in Siberia were we lost 3 hours. Because the time zones are closer together way up north. I kept on waking up at 3am ship time for breakfast. My body was having trouble adjusting to ship from EST. LOL I slept something like 12 hours straight after we left the Siberian port. Guess I needed :-)

We sailed the 2005 cruise from Singapore to San Diego. In 2007, we will sail Seattle to Singapore. This has worked out better for us, financially! This is a once in a lifetime experience, whether you take the full cruise or segments. :)

I would give my eye teeth to be able to take that cruise.

My husband (and I) wanted to take it back in'93, but there was no way I was going to be able to get that much vacation time---even I would have denied my request for it!

Since then the planets have not aligned so that I can go. Maybe someday. Maybe someday....

A girl can dream. <sigh>

If you are able to take that cruise I implore you to go while you can!

Has anyone here done the cruise that sails out of Seattle and goes to Russia, China, Japan, Indonesia, Australia etc. and back to San Diego?

We are looking at this, but it is very expensive and would like to know if it is worth the cost. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Juanita:

Only you can determine if the trip is worth the cost to you. HAL has a Seattle to San Diego on Amsterdam that leaves in September, 2008. That gives you almost two years to plan and save your money. As BobPatJ mentioned, you can also do sements of the trip. You might also look at Princess cruises. They offer some good prices on exotic, international itineraries.

It is worthwhile in life to have dreams and aspirations. If you are determined, somehow, sometime, you will achieve your goal of travelling the world.

Karin

I would have thought that sailing west would gain you an hour for each time change. When you set your clock back you gain time. In my experience you lose time when you sail east and you set your clock forward and gain it back when you sail west.

Someone please chime in and tell me I'm not crazy.

GN

I would have thought that sailing west would gain you an hour for each time change. When you set your clock back you gain time. In my experience you lose time when you sail east and you set your clock forward and gain it back when you sail west.

Someone please chime in and tell me I'm not crazy.

GN

Granny Nurse, I can't follow all this time change business, but I don't believe you to be crazy. ;)

Karin

Juanita:

Only you can determine if the trip is worth the cost to you. HAL has a Seattle to San Diego on Amsterdam that leaves in September, 2008. That gives you almost two years to plan and save your money. As BobPatJ mentioned, you can also do sements of the trip. You might also look at Princess cruises. They offer some good prices on exotic, international itineraries.

It is worthwhile in life to have dreams and aspirations. If you are determined, somehow, sometime, you will achieve your goal of travelling the world.

Karin

The Orient, Australia, Polynesia itinerary is being offered

in September 2007 and September 2008. Just about the same number of days and same ship but a slight change in the itinerary for 2008 which includes Viet Nam. On each year's cruise you can book either the full 64 day trip or either of the two 32 day itineraries that make up the 64 days. I am booked on the full cruise in 2007. I was lured by the prospect of no long flights to or from the Orient.

Exactly my philosophy too. The good Lord gave us this world to enjoy ... to explore ... to care for. I, for one, would rather do without other things ... the fancy house in the suburbs, the car, the plethora of electronic gadgets that so many of my friends have ... and put all of my extra money in the travel kitty. When I am old and gray (if I make it to that point in life), and am stuck in my rocking chair for the rest of my days, somehow I think looking back on all the places I've been ... perhaps with a photo album on my lap ... will be far more enjoyable than taking stock of all the "stuff" I've accumulated in a lifetime. Is any of that stuff really necessary anyway?

I say save and scrimp if you want to do this trip, and make it a reality.

Blue skies ...

--rita

thanks everyone! We have a week to make up our minds on this cruise. Of course, being Canadians, we have to pay 20% more so that puts the price up quite a bit. There are an astonishing number of days at sea on this cruise.

George - how rough were the sea days? I would think it could be rough going from Seattle to Russia that time of year. Was it very cold the first part of the cruise?

George - how rough were the sea days? I would think it could be rough going from Seattle to Russia that time of year.

Not rough at all for me Juanita. If I remember right going from Seattle to Russia the roughest sea day, the seas were 5 maybe 6 feet. I barely noticed. :-) A rough sea for me was like when i was south of Nuuk, Greenland dealing with 45 to 55 foot seas. An interesting ride. LOL

Was it very cold the first part of the cruise?

It was cloudy or overcast through most of the crossing from Seattle to Russia. If going outside I'd have A coat and sweatshirt on. It being cold and damp. Even had to wear a sweatshirt or jacket sitting by the lido pool. At the stop at the Siberian port we docked in. I had to layer up, because it was so cold, damp. I don't remember the temp. But it could have been in the mid to low 40sF.

Archived