Sad ending to the Norway

DaisyGirl55

Received my Cruise Travel magazine yesterday, and it showed the Norway (or the BLue Lady as she is now referred as) just tied up on a sandy beach waiting to be scrapped. The picture made me very sad.

I sailed my first ever cruise on the Norway, and of course, it being my first cruise - my memories of this ship are very deep. In fact, we so loved the ship that we sailed on her twice more.

I think I would rather not see a picture like that, and prefer to just know that a ship has been sold or retired out of service. I would rather think that she sailed off into the sunset, than see the reality of being scrapped. Silly? Perhaps....but once in a while, I think it is okay to put on those tinted lenses.

So with bittersweet feelings in my heart, I say adieu to the Norway! She was the best!!

Hey Marilou. I remember back in '86, when DH and I sailed on the Starward for our honeymoon. Right next to our ship was the Norway. She was absolutely magnificent! I remember how jealous we were. Our little ship had one little guy playing calypso music as we sailed away. The Norway had an entire dixieland band!! That is very sad news indeed.

I noticed in one of the above-linked threads that someone posted a Wired article about Alang, India. If anyone is looking for something more in depth, the last approx. 1/3 of The Outlaw Sea by William Langewiesche covers the topic in a lot more depth. the section on modern day piracy and terrorism are also worth checking out.

.....I sailed my first ever cruise on the Norway, and of course, it being my first cruise - my memories of this ship are very deep. In fact, we so loved the ship that we sailed on her twice more.

So with bittersweet feelings in my heart, I say adieu to the Norway! She was the best!!

I too sailed my first every cruise on her, but not when she was the Norway, but when she was the France. We sailed from New York to LeHavre the summer of 63.

I now wish I had taken the opportunity to sail her as the Norway. Here is a picture I took as we sailed away from NY.

France0028.jpg.68f731e4e89349bb5bb951dc5418914d.jpg

Archived