Dentist on board..........

jodster

To the best of my knowledge, there are no dentists on cruise ships, but there ought to be, especially considering that some of the ships nowadays are so huge that they carry more passengers than some small towns.

For that matter, there really should be more than one doctor onboard, too.

There is a dentist on-board, at least for the 10-day cruises. The ship's dentist was at my table at dinner on cruise. Although teh dentist is primarily there for the crew. HAL has found it cheaper to have a dentist on board, than to have a crew member have to sit out a cruise to see a dentist. However, in emergencies, the dentist will attend to passengers also.

I will be on my first HAL cruise on the Westerdam on Sunday. The reason I ask is I have tooth that is acting up and is "sensitive" but my dentist can't find anything wrong. The last time I had a tooth like that it became abscessed and I had to have an emergency root canal.

I can't imagine being on a cruise with no access to a dentist.

Jodi

It's been a while since I looked into this, but if memory serves - Years ago a Dentist offered the cruise lines this deal: he would outfit a dental 'office' on their ships IF they provided the space and a cabin for the dentist. HAL was the only cruise line to take him up on his offer. The dentists pay a small fee, in exchange they get the cabin (inside, can bring family) and on sea days they provide dental service to the crew (and passengers on an emergency basis). When the ship is in port, they are free to see the sights - just as passengers do. The dentists aren't on 'staff', as the MD on board (or whatever 'legal' term they use, as I don't think they technically work for the cruise line). The dentists are on for the cruise, as most (if not all) are on vacation from their own practices. Several years back a CC member (SeaPuppy??) sailed on HAL to Alaska while his Dad was onboard as the dentist. Maybe he'll see this and add more (make corrections).

Jodi - Good luck, and I hope that you don't need to find out more first hand.

It's been a whole lotta years now, but I was able to see the dentist on board when I needed to.

I went to the infirmary and they made an appointment for me to come back later that day. Since I wasn't in any pain I took the appointment as offered.

I will be on my first HAL cruise on the Westerdam on Sunday. The reason I ask is I have tooth that is acting up and is "sensitive" but my dentist can't find anything wrong. The last time I had a tooth like that it became abscessed and I had to have an emergency root canal.

I feel your pain. No, really. I have been where you are now, and it wasn't fun. My suggestion would be to ask your dentist or doctor to give you a prescription for an antibiotic that you could take with you "just in case," since if you have or get an abscess you will need an antibiotic, for sure. I would also suggest you buy a "dental pain/temporary filling" kit that includes eugenol in it. Needless to say, you should pack pain pills, though I hope you won't need them.

Good luck, and bon voyage! :)

On one cruise my wife lost a filling. Fortunately there was a dentist on board and yes,they do CHARGE. He apologized for the amount and said HAL sets the fee, He would never charge this amount in his own practice.

However,when help is needed quickly,it does not matter.

Jodi

I am the Queen of Dental Issues and survived an absess at sea. Yes there is a dentist aboard. In my situation, I was too swollen to have an immediate root canal and antibiotics were prescribed which were adequate to get me through the cruise and home. Perhaps your dentist might prescribe an antibiotic, in case you need it.

In response to your question, I am a dentist and will be going on the Zuiderdam Novermber 25. The way it works is only with HAL and they give the dentist a reduced fee cabin for them and their family and the dentist is required to service the emergencies as needed but only on select cruises. If I were you I would get a second opinion with an endodontist prior to your sailing if it is root canal related and take along antibiotics and pain relievers. The MD on board can supply you meds but it is expensive. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

We once shared our table with "the dentist". In this case a very nice lady, but she was a "dental hygienist" (sp?), not a dentist.

As mentioned mainly in service during that sailing for the crew -as far as I understood working during seadays - and off on portdays.

She had to wear the name-tag "shipdentist" all the time while on board.

In response to your question, I am a dentist and will be going on the Zuiderdam Novermber 25. The way it works is only with HAL and they give the dentist a reduced fee cabin for them and their family and the dentist is required to service the emergencies as needed but only on select cruises. If I were you I would get a second opinion with an endodontist prior to your sailing if it is root canal related and take along antibiotics and pain relievers. The MD on board can supply you meds but it is expensive. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

docschus, We are on the same sailing... We have A Roll call going if you would like to join on in with us... Here it is... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8285489#post8285489

May 2004 MS Maasdam from Ft.Lauderdale to Montreal my wife suddenly had an inlay in her hand. There was a dentist in the hospital. He fixed the inlay again, we got an invoice, no big amount.

Funny was the reaction of our German insurance. It was one of those "sorry-free-insurances". They didn't pay back because they told me for teeth problems they pay only a preliminary medical treatment.

Does somebody know how to fix an inlay preliminary? Probably with an American chewing gum.

Archived