HAL's Snorkeling by Boat

tkwbear

We just did this a 2 weeks ago, it was called the sailaway and we liked this excursion, the boat took us to beach to snorkel from that had a resturant, restrooms, and was not crowded.

We had to pass on the first stop that is mentioned in the excursion discription because we did not get into port until after 2pm.

That's good to hear. What was the boat like? Was it hard to get on and off? I like the side ladders just fine, but once I was on a catamaran that dropped its ladder down the middle. The boat was near the shore, and the waves made it really hard to get back up the ladder.

• 1 month later...

So, you did the Virgin Island Sailaway? How many people were on the boat? Do you think this would be a good excursion for someone who has done a lot of snorkeling, or is it more geared towards beginners? I am trying to choose between an excursion, and just going to the beach.

Joyce

I think you're talking about two different excursions. The Snorkeling by Boat is supposed to go to the Norman Island caves. The Virgin Islands Sailaway is going to several places on a yacht (but later in the description, it says catamaran). I'm going to see if I can find out more about the boat that goes to the caves.

Hapifeet, I'm not familiar with HAL's excursions here. It would be best if you can find out either who they go with or what kind of boat as the terms boat, yacht or catamaran could mean exactly the same thing. We chartered a bareboat the past couple of years in the BVI and they were both yachts and both catamarans but one was sail and one was power.

After looking at HAL's web site descriptions I would almost bet the snorkel trip is a power boat and probably a monohull since they will make it to the Norman Island caves in 30 minutes and the Sail Away is a sailing cat yacht.

Thanks, Pyrate. I hate getting in and out of boats with the little ladders down the side with steel bars for steps. Maybe we'll just take a taxi somewhere and snorkel. I'll looks through the posts. I think I've seen some already.

Hapifeet, I'm not familiar with HAL's excursions here. It would be best if you can find out either who they go with or what kind of boat as the terms boat, yacht or catamaran could mean exactly the same thing. We chartered a bareboat the past couple of years in the BVI and they were both yachts and both catamarans but one was sail and one was power.

After looking at HAL's web site descriptions I would almost bet the snorkel trip is a power boat and probably a monohull since they will make it to the Norman Island caves in 30 minutes and the Sail Away is a sailing cat yacht.

I tried to get HAL to tell me more info about the company and boat but to no avail. Is there a good beach on Tortola that is not too hard to get to and not too crowded that we can just head out to and snorkel? I've heard Cane Beach is crowded and Smugglers Cover (or was it Brewers Bay) are hard to get to because of the roads. I've also contacted Patouche but just read a bad review about them. I'm totally confused now.

If you want to go snorkeling off the beach go to Brewer's Bay. Easy to get to by taxi, pretty good snorkeling and Nicole's beach bar has decent food and cold beers. Set up a return time with your driver in advance.

I read the review of Patouche also and immediately sent an email to Julie for an explanation. I have made no secret that Joe and Julie are my friends however if there is a problem I let them know.

That being said, Patouche is one of the best companies in the BVI for day trips and I have no fear of recommending them highly. I have been out with them a number of times including with the previous owners. I am making no excuses for what was posted but every company, no matter how good, occasionally has a bad day or situation. I suggest you also read the MANY good to excellent reviews of their service, they far outweigh the bad. I work for the largest vacation venue in the state of Florida, even we can't be perfect every time and occasionally disappoint someone.

Thanks, Pyrate. I've written to Patouche to see how easily it is to get on and off their boat. I've had a back fusion and I'm not as flexible as I used to be. I'll wait until I hear from them to decide. We'll definitely consider Brewer's Beach. So glad you know these islands so well. BTW, will we need reservations for Spaghetti Junction?

If you want to go snorkeling off the beach go to Brewer's Bay. Easy to get to by taxi, pretty good snorkeling and Nicole's beach bar has decent food and cold beers. Set up a return time with your driver in advance.

One more question, Pyrate. Is the road as treacherous to Brewer's Bay as I've read? My husband gets carsick. Are the cab drivers pretty cautious about the hairpin turns? If we get there and he's sick, he won't snorkel. Is renting a car sensible?

It is better and recommended to have reservations at Spaghetti Junction but not absolutely necessary, though you may have to wait for a table. You can always make your reservation when you get into port. I believe their number is 284-494-4880.

The road to Brewer's does have some steep portions and sharp turns but it is much improved. I have to admit, the old road was fun in a 4WD. :D If you explain the situation and ask your driver to go a bit easier, I'm sure he will.

Archived