Tell me about the port area at St. Lucia

nikita

DH is probably going on an all day dive in St. Lucia and I am planning a day of relaxation and shopping. Without getting in a taxi are there nice shops and/or a place to relax by the beach close by where the ship docks? Is it a safe area to be wandering about by myself? Would I be better off doing a tour of my own, or just relaxing on the Crown Princess for the day? Thanks for any info and advice you can give me.

We were in St. Lucia last winter. The ship docks in what is more of an area ``under construction'' with a few restaurants and bars located at the dock and a very large open market - flea market area located a short walk from the docking area. We arrived on St. Lucia's Independence Day so many of the stores in the downtown (which is a long walk from the dock area) were closed. We shopped around the flea market area and ended up spending a couple of hours at a nice restaruant/bar located on the second floor of the shoping mall close to the dock. View was o.k.; drinks and food was great.

To answer your question about feeling save to walk around on your own - depends on how strong you are in saying ``no'' to the various taxi drivers who will step into your face to offer you a tour of the island. DH & I found them to be among the more aggressive drivers we've ever seen at a port and we've been to many, many ports in 16 cruises.

We didn't feel it was unsafe to walk around the area, we just got tired of having the taxi drivers in our face continously.

We will be in St. Lucia again in January and will probably will take an excursion to see more of the island.

Dianne

98Charlie,

thanks for the info. Were these taxi drivers outside the dock shopping area - did you have to go out of the area to encounter them. I would not like that! But would be nice to do some shopping inside the gates if there is anything. I'm not into the flea market kind of shopping though.

As I remember it, the small mall was located a short distance from the dock (like maybe a couple of blocks) however we were herded onto buses from the ship to go to the small mall (due to construction and heavy equipment. It was truly a hoot when we found out how short the trip to the mall was).

That area may well be changed now as it was under construction as I said.

There really wasn't any great shopping close to the dock. I understand there are some good stores further into town and I do think you would be very safe to walk the few blocks into downtown from the dock.

Dianne

I f I was you, I would either stay on the ship or take an excursion to see the island. If you have never been ther take a tour because it is a beautiful island. I have been there many times . In Dec I will be there and am going to a resort for the day!

Take a tour of the island!! It is so beautiful and there's so much to see! We had a private taxi driver take us last Christmas and we got to see the "real" St Lucia where the people actually live as well as the scenic sites. I'm sure you can go along on a group tour.

The Pitons are something amazing, beautiful and really something to see and not be missed! Buy some banana ketchup. It's really very good!! And I don't like bananas (no banana taste really). We went up into the hills and looked down into the waters and towns, saw where they filmed Dr. Doolittle! We went to the volcano and did that tour, met locals and had a good luck grasshopper made out of the palm tree fronds, hehe!! The people there are very friendly and very hard workers looking to please.

St Lucia is one of my favorites and I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Archived