Machu Pichu after Santiago departure

anon4088

We were wondering if it would be possible to do Machu Pichu from Santiago after the cruise is over. Does anyone know of an agency that would offer a trip from Santiago to MP after the cruise? How long would the airplane flight from Santiago to Lima take?

Anne

We are also planning to do Machu Pichu after our cruise and also a Galapagos Island trip as well.

We were thinking of using Abercrombie and Kent for this segment of our trip. They will organize it but you can do it as independent travellers.

We would be interested in hearing if anyone else has done this trip after the cruise and not using a cruise line excursion.

Jennie

It is a 3 hour flight from Santiago to Lima and about another couple of hours to Cusco. (You fly into Cusco and take a train to MP). I am not sure if the flight schedules permit making this trip in one day.

We stayed with friends in Lima who organized our trip to MP. Our flight from Lima to Cusco departed at about 0630. On arrival in Cusco, we were taken to our hotel checked in (rooms were cleaned and ready), given coca tea, told to nap and take it easy, picked up at noon and had several local excursions. It was almost 7:00 P.M. when we got back to our hotel. The altitude was kicking everyone in the @ss. Between the early morning departure, altitude, and early morning wake-up call the next day we called it an early night.

Our wake-up call the next day was at about 5:30 A.M. We had breakfast and were on the way to the train station by 6:30. I think the train leaves Cusco at 7:00. It is a 3/12 hour train ride from Cusco to MP. You will have plenty of time to see MP. Your return trip to Cusco starts at about 3:30 P.M. It is a 4 hour train ride back. You can shave 20 or 30 minutes off the return trip by getting off the train at the stop just before Cusco and taking a cab into town. However, the lights of Cusco are pretty spectacular when you come into town on the train.

Depending on how much time you have, you can spend another day in Cusco and environs or return to Lima. I would recommend a 3rd day with an excursion into the Sacred Valley.

Be aware, the airport at Cusco is located in a mountain bowl and weather at times causes delays in flight arrivals and departures and occasional cancellations.

You can shop around on line for flight, hotel, and excursions to Cusco/MP or for just flights and hotels and then make your own excursion arrangements on arrival in Cusco. You might save a few bucks and will likely be on the same busses as those who plan ahead

Have you ever considered doing MP BEFORE your cruise? Air is easy in South America (although sometimes the planes do not run as promptly as they should). I only say this as MP can really take it out of you, with the altitude (11,000+ ft. in Cusco, 9800+ ft in MP). Then you get on the ship, after spending a day touring BA, and REALLY relax. The airfare is almost the same, whether you fly from Buenos Aires or Santiago.

The flights from Santiago to Lima are about 3 hours. Flights to Cusco from Lima are a little more than an hour. There is 1 hour time difference between Santiago and Lima and 2 hours between BA and Lima. There is NO water at the Lima airport after 10:00PM-in fact, unless the building has a storage tank, there is NO water in Lima after 10:00PM. And the Lima airport is in the crappiest part of town, so DO NOT go wandering around outside the airport. You are OK in the airport, just don't go wandering around outside the airport or jumping into any taxi you see.

I fly to Peru and Chile 4 times a year on business and spend all my downtime in Cusco. I love Cusco, Peru. Been to MP 5 times. I have seen a lot of tourists in Cusco and MP with altitude sickness, some even on oxygen. Most of them are on guided tours and the tours just push too hard, IMHO. Those ship excursions are a joke. Fly to Cusco, go on a tour of Cusco, the next day, RUSH to MP, RUSH back to Cusco, third day fly back to the ship. There is no time to acclimate to the altitude and people do get sick.

The first time I went to Cusco, I tried to do too much and started getting sick-it starts with a VERY bad headache. The hotel owner made me drink lots of coca tea, lie down for 6 hours and I did feel better. Now, I start drinking the coca tea when I get off the plane in Cusco. And I take it VERY easy for the first day. There is also prescription medicine, Diamoxx. Ask your doctor, as it raises blood pressure and is a diuretic and NOT for everyone.

As I said, I LOVE Cusco. Trying to find a way to live there on a semi-permanent basis. If I can help point you in the right direction, feel free to email. greatam@earthlink.net. You can book everything yourself and save a LOT of money. The $1500.00pp ship tour can be booked independently for about $900.00pp, using the same hotels, but having a more personal, cultural experience.

Gina

Thank you both Travelling Fools and Gina for your invaluable information.

Gina, I thought it would be easier to do the whole flight from Australia to Rio in one hit and get the jetlag out of the way. While in Rio we want to go to the Iguasu Falls and then once back on the western coast, we will do the Galapagos and Machu Pichu. I know it is a big trip, but we will probably only do this area other than the Amazon once in our lifetime.

Jennie

Jennie,

Flying AUS to Rio and doing MP after the cruise may work better for you. Just remember to take your time with the altitude.

Please be careful in Rio. It is one of my least favorite cities in SA. Lots of pickpockets, the old mustard scam, and just plain thievery. Please stay with organized tours to Sugarloaf and Corcavado and DO NOT leave anything on the beach or go wandering around TOO much by yourself. You must see the "hippie fair" on Sundays in Rio. It is in the central part of Copa and has some great buys and some very unusual things. The minature masks, like they use for Carnivale, are great. I have two hand made lace type knit tops that I wear over and over and over. People are probably getting sick of me wearing them, but they really are great. DO NOT stay at the Sherator in Rio. Off the beaten path, hotel was OK, but in a really crappy neighborhood and definitely NOT worth the money. It is the hotel used by the cruiselines (although we booked it independently).

When you get ready to commit to MP, Cusco and Lima, let me know how I can help.

Gina

Gina,

Thanks for your latest info. Have you stayed at any of the other hotels in Rio besides the Sheraton. We will be going independently before our cruise. We will definitely being doing our tours of Rio with a tour group and also our trip to the falls.Thanks for the warning, though parts of Asia and also Europe can be just as dangerous I am sure, if you are not aware of what can happen.

I am interested to hear of other good hotels and which area is better to stay in, Ipanema or Copocabana. (sp?)

Thanks for your offer of assistance. I have spoken to the rep here of Abercrombie and Kent and they stay the night in Machu Pinchu at the hotel you recommend which is great. We will also go on and do Lake Titicata.

Jennie

My husband was in Brazil for 6 months on business.Be very careful.If anyone had to have dental or medical work they flew them back to the States.The blood supply is AIDS infected.Kathe

Gina

I am planning on doing MP after our cruise from Rio to Santiago, but maybe I will look at it for before as well, maybe I can work in the falls in Brazil. I would love to hear your opinions of various hotels and particular tour operators. We are a do it independent kind of couple, so I would love to hear all of your insights.

thanks

jc

Archived