conch?

trey420

hello I was just watching the food network found something I want to eat a conch seen the shell never had the thing thats lives in it though anyone ever try it? Is it any good? sometimes the food network leads you on as everything they eat is "sooo goood" either way going to the western Caribbean Miss Ray way in Jamaica I think.

I've had conch in both "burger" form (meaning a solid piece) and in conch fritters. The solid piece of conch was just ok, kind of tough and rubbery. Conch fritters, on the other hand, are my favorite appetizer when in the Caribbean. They're a lot like crab cakes. Good stuff!

Conch fritters are a good place to start. Think hush puppies with bits of of seafood in it.

I have also had conch in a curry sauce but this may not be for everyone. If you know anything about cooking calamari you either do it quick or for a very long time. Anytime in between calamari can be chewy, that is how the curried conch was, not unpleasant but chewy.

We've been to the Caribbean several times...and always have seen conch on some menu either in port or on the ship. If've been tempted to try it...but really not brave enough.

HappyfaceBob, I think you just helped me make up my mind. There are too many other good things available to really waste my time on a "blech"! TYVM

If you stop in Nassau they do conch ceviche near the markets. St. Martin Maho Beach Bar near the airport has conch fritters.

We've had conch chowder and conch fritters and cracked conch(cracked=tenderized) which is breaded and deep fried in south bimini.

Had cracked conch also in Cozumel at one of the rest. at the main square.

When we went to St. Lucia at Sandal every rest that had conch on the menu didn't have it, bummer. Our grocery store got conch one time and we made fritters. I have an old oster food processor with all the attachements and put it through the largest meat grinder and it was great.

We had conch fritters in the Bahamas a few years ago, I found them REPULSIVE.

They reminded me of deep fried, chewy, fishy, rubbebands. blechr .

I take it you have a problem with that? :D :D :D

Actually, well made fritters are good. Not greasy, fishy or rubbery.

I agree conch is great ! I suppose some is better than others and the preperation does count. But it is worth a try . Had it in Nassau , fritters with Kalik beer. Conch salad was also good, it was more like the ceviche , I guess. Also had fried conch fritters in Grand Cayman.

Hope you enjoy it !!!!:)

OK - a good chef can work miracles with all sorts of stuff and fritters and chowder fall into that catagory (just avoid the Conch sushi!! ;) )

Now 'gator tail! That's a truly edible meat! Fried chunks in BBQ "'gator bites" in local parlance... Go for that when you're in the neighborhood :)

jhannah, Unfortunately when we were Nassau this spring, Conch Fritters was closed (it looked like it was a permanament situation).
Too bad. I wonder if they were too far from the "beaten path" to make it with tourists? They sure had good food, though.

Thanks for letting me know.

Here in Key West just about every place serves conch in some form or another. Like everything else, some are great and some just so so. We have fried conch for breakfast (like bacon), conch cerviche, conch chowder, conch salad, conch fritters, "chicken fried" conch, and conch eggs benedict. Raw conch is sold in all the grocery stores. All conch is imported since harvesting conch within US waters is strictly forbidden. There is a huge fine for even bringing a conch out of the water - and we see them all the time while snorkeling. If you're in Nassau, look for a unique gift item we've seen no where else - a "condiment bowl" made from half a conch shell. There is even a serving spoon from conch. I use mine to serve tarter sauce or candy. They were $12 each at the gift market at the pier. I bought 10 for $100 for Christmas gifts.

We had conch fritters in the Bahamas a few years ago, I found them REPULSIVE. They reminded me of deep fried, chewy, fishy, rubber bands. blech.

Conch is more like clams/mussels to me than scallops and, to me, no matter how perfectly cooked, I've never had a clam or mussel that didn't taste like a fishy rubber band ;).

Scallops, on the other hand, are to die for!!!

I did have a conch soup on Carnival years ago and it was delicious, provided you didn't try to eat the pieces of conch...hmm, I also love clam chowder, but pick out (or actually leave in) all the pieces of clam ;).

Archived