HMC stingrays

East Coaster

We were on HMC a couple of weeks ago and strolled down to the stingray "pool". It's a small roped off area inside the lagoon (short walk from the beach area). Signs direct you to the place easily. We observed cruisers who took the snorkel excursion. They were in the shallow water (maybe 3 feet) about 15 minutes or so. There is a big friendly guy there who handles the rays and holds them up for pictures. They are not hugh rays...maybe 30" tip to tip at the most. I believe the excursion also gives you some education and insight on the stingrays. Hope this helps.

885180633_HalfMoonCay066.JPG.279d62a9e161cab5c580672f8aefa3b7.JPG

Thanks frbob for the picture and info. The water looks so beautiful.

Can hardly wait until our cruise. We will be at HMC on New Year's Eve this year.

I was just wondering if the excursion is worth it at HMC or if we should do this in Nassau. Last year we missed the swim with stingrays at Grand Cayman due to rain and high winds and I really wanted to do this. My DH isn't too thrilled after what happened to Steve Irwin but I assured him these rays are much smaller.

DD and I did this excursion last Christmas...They are very tame, mostly stay around the trainers, as these people are there food source. The water is gorgeous..hat DD and I dearly enjoyed was the Dolphin Encounter upgrade, in Nassau

LHC

For East Coaster...

On our 10/15 WESTERDAM cruise, my sister had booked both the Gibb's Cay Stingray Excursion from Grand Turk -and- the HMC Stingray Excursion. Prices were comparible...the Gibb's Cay one was twice the amount of time, but also twice the amount of money.

Since our cruise took us to Grand Turk first, the three of us (DH, Sister, & myself) experienced the Gibb's Cay Stingray Swim right off the bat. My sister had originally wanted to cancel it because of the "extra" money, but in the end followed through with her original plans. Let me say this...we ALL thought this excursion was phenomenal. We were taken from Grand Turk via a twin-hulled canvas topped boat (which reminded me of a pontoon boat) to Gibb's Cay. Gibb's Cay is small, uninhabited island that has a small hill and nice beach area, but no trees. During the boat trip, we were given some safety instruction regarding both the stingrays and snorkeling. The most important thing to remember was to do the "stingray shuffle"...i.e. don't walk in the water, but shuffle your feet along the bottom so that you don't accidently step on a stingray...they are bottom feeders and can appear as large rocks in the sand. Snorkel equipment was handed out to those passengers that needed it. The boat sailed right up to the beach and we disembarked down a ladder into knee deep water and deposited our "stuff" on the beach. As the boat approached the beach, numerous stingrays swam in as well. Looking at them from the deck of the boat, they were much larger than I anticipated.

The first part of our "encounter" was getting into the crystal clear water (waist to chest deep) with soft white sand beneath our feet. The stingrays were as curious about us as we were of them. Our guide told us to spread our legs as far apart as we could (and still stand) because the rays liked to swim between your legs. As they swam around and through us they would rub the underside of their "wings" along our legs. It reminded me of when my cats rub against my legs. The underside of the stingrays is SOOOO soft...like kid glove leather. The topside of their bodies is a bit grainy to the touch. They liked to be "petted". If you just stood in the water they swarmed around you. They wanted to "experience" us as much as we wanted to "experience" them. We were thoroughly mesmerized by the experience...especially since these stingrays are not held "captive" in any way...they virtually came from the depths of the ocean to visit us on the island (I'm sure they've been conditioned to do this because the excursion boat has come to "feed" them many times.)

While we were "knee-deep" in the water with them, our guide "caught" some of the smaller rays that he said were babies. Taking turns, those of us that wanted to were able to "hold" the rays in the water. I was amazed at how heavy they were, especially when you consider that things are "lighter" in the water because of the buoyancy factor. We were cautioned to keep their eyes in the water...if their eyes came out of the water, the rays tried to swim from your arms (and they are strong!)

The next part of our "wet & wild" adventure took us back onto the beach for the "conch cleaning". This was the only part that I didn't like, being the animal lover that I am! Our guide had dived down and picked up a lovely conch shell. I've never had conch chowder (as I'm not a seafood lover), but if I had, I probably would think twice about having it again. The poor conch lost his life for this demonstration. Our guide offered some of the "raw" delicacy to those members of our group that were gastronomically adventureous. I really didn't watch much of this part of our excursion.

The final part of our time on Gibb's Cay was spent snorkeling in an area near the rocky shoreline. Buoyed ropes keep us well away from the edge, so we weren't "dashed" against the rocks by the waves or current there. Those people that didn't want to snorkel went back into the water off the beach to interact with the stingrays more. At this point, the mass of stingrays (there were about 25-30 of them there) divided themselves up...some stayed in the shallow water by the beach and some followed the snorklers into the deeper waters. The waters were so clear, I had no way of gauging how deep we were, but would easily say the water was in the 15-20 foot range. There was some coral there, but not as plentiful or colorful as we've seen in Bermuda. There were some tropical fish present as well...but again, the "colors" or "numbers" weren't as brilliant and plentiful as we've seen in previous snorkels. Still it was an awesome experience because of the stingrays. We'd be snorkeling around at the top of the water and the stingrays would be "flying" beneath us. Even though they aren't the prettiest of God's creatures, they are so graceful "flying" through the water...it was like watching an underwater ballet of sorts. They "fly" around almost reminding me of fighter planes flying in formation during an "air" show.

Soon came the time when our guide was calling us back to the beach...we didn't want to leave. The stingrays gathered "in mass" as we got back to the shallow water...it seemed like they didn't want us to leave either. I was amazed at how they "accepted" us into their world...without fear, without malice. Before reluctantly leaving the water, we found some "live" starfish in the shallows.

It was a marvelous experience and one that would be hard to top. When my sister went over to the Stingray Excursion on HMC, she was looking forward to a "repeat" of what we'd enjoyed at Grand Turk. When she returned to our cabana, I asked her how it went. She said that she didn't "complete" the excursion. She was disappointed that the stingrays were "held captive" in a lagoon at HMC and they weren't "free". She added that the lagoon didn't have an inviting sandy bottom, but was actually coral, so you couldn't stand on it. There was a platform, provided in the water, that you could stand on so the stingrays could swim around you. You were able to snorkel with the stingrays, but only in the "contained" area. So, she chose to just "watch" the other participants for awhile and then walked back to our cabana. She didn't mind "losing" her HMC Stingray excursion fee of $29, and was SO HAPPY that she hadn't cancelled the Gibb's Cay excursion. In her words, there was no comparison between the two...Gibb's Cay was a far better experience.

Now, East Coaster, I realize that your itinerary doesn't take you to Grand Turk, so you can't experience the wonders of the Gibb's Cay Stingray Adventure...nor have I seen or heard anything about the Stingray Excursion in Nassau...but I thought that this "comparison of sorts", might help you in making your plans. I'd definitely make some inquiries as to what the Nassau Stingray Swim experiences have been. Good luck in making your plans. I hope you have as wonderous a time with the stingrays, wherever you get to experience them, as we did!

Debjo

Slightly OT, but I was snorkeling off the beach at HMC a few weeks ago. When I was coming back in to the beach, a HUGE stingray swam right underneath me, and I was only in about 5 feet of water. It was easily 4 feet across if not more, and it's tail was at least 8 feet long. I could even see the barb. It really freaked me out because it was the last thing I was expecting to see swimming with me. And of course with the Croc Hunter being killed by one only a few weeks before that, it really scared me. Let's just say that I practically set an Olympic Record for swimming into shore!! And the best part was that I got to swim with a stingray for free!

debjo, thank you so much for your comparison. What a great description you gave. Your experience is what I'm looking for. I'm glad I asked about HMC's stingray tour. I am going to post on the Bahama board and ask about Nassau's tour. We have never been to Nassau before or for that matter Grand Turk but I'm saving Gibbs Cay Stingray tour for future use.

DH and I did the HMC swim with the stingrays and absolutely loved it! It wasn't terribly crowded and the 'rays are so lovely to be around. The gentleman who stayed in the water with us took great care to educate us about the stingrays.

A year later we finally got around to swimming with the rays in Grand Cayman and it was the experience of a lifetime.

You won't be sorry to swim with the stingrays on HMC.........

DH and I did the HMC swim with the stingrays and absolutely loved it! It wasn't terribly crowded and the 'rays are so lovely to be around. The gentleman who stayed in the water with us took great care to educate us about the stingrays.

A year later we finally got around to swimming with the rays in Grand Cayman and it was the experience of a lifetime.

We did the rays last year in GC; it was a wonderful experience, I agree. I would do it again in a second. NMnita

You mentioned the Gibbs Cay Stingray Encounter. Was this through HAL or through an independant company? Your review sparked our interest so I would like some more information.

If anyone has any suggestions for someone to use please let me know!

Thanks for your help!

Blessings!

Frogs, I looked on Hal's website and found this stingray tour. The cost was $59 (2 hours). Go to their website and look under Caribbean shore excursions.

I don't know if you can book an independent as I've never been to Grand Turk. You could try searching in the Ports of Call for Grand Turk. Its amazing what information you can get. My DH and I hardly ever book a ship excursion anymore. We not only save money but have a more personalized tour.

HI, guys,

I just came back from my 10/25 cruise on the HAL Noordam, and I can say without doubt, the stingray encounter on Gibbs Cay for me was a life-changing experience! Reading Debjo's fantastic review made me go back again to that day. Those animals are very docile and friendly, you wouldn't believe they are wild...One of them even gave me a "hicky kiss" on my feet, like he (I assume it was a guy stingray) wanted to really know what I tasted like :D . Best of all, I brought my camera with the underwater housing and have GREAT pics of the rays swimming above, below and beside me...It was just wonderful to be so close to nature.

The excursion is very worth it, Gibbs Cay is a beautiful little island, the water is ridiculously beautiful and the experience is surreal...So enjoy it if you decide on it, and say hi to Gulliver (yes, some of them even have names) for me!

Thanks everyone for your kind words...as "gioconda" stated...the Gibb's Cay experience with the Stingrays is life changing! And "frogs", we did book our excursion through HAL for the $59 as "East Coaster" already reported. I hope you get your excursion booked, as I'm afraid all these "glowing" reports will somehow affect the available space. There's nothing worse than having your heart set on a particular excursion and finding it is all booked up...or having bad weather that prohibits the excursion from running altogether! Best of luck to you!

Debjo

debjo, what a wonderful description you've provided. You've helped me make up my mind what I'm going to be doing on HMC when we get there in February. I'm pretty sure DH is going to go parasailing again, and that's something I'm not ever going to do - there just isn't enough alcohol on the island to give me the courage to do that.:eek: I think a stingray experience is just what I'm looking for when it comes to our visit to Half Moon Cay. Thank you!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

For ger77...

Even though our "swim with the rays" was at Gibb's Cay, I'm sure your encounter with the stingrays on HMC will be good too. My sister was probably spoiled by the Gibb's Cay experience and being the animal lovers that we are (and her aversion to snorkeling), she wasn't too keen on the "rays" being contained at HMC and the fact that she would have had to remain on the "platform" to interact with them (as the underwater surface is coral and you can't walk on it...so snorkeling was the only way to fully interact with them at HMC).

Debjo

Archived