Single supplement

Having lost my wife this summer, I'm curious about cruising as a single. Have questions about single supplemements and meeting other singles. Want to stay active with Cruise Critic, even if it will be a bit before my next cruise :) Would love to chat with other single cruisers -- e-mail me at the Y or the A.

KEN

Ken,

sorry to hear about your loss.

Most of the cruiselines I've looked at charge the entire second person rate if you sail by yourself; the only savings is on taxes/port charges. I booked my last cruise as a single (went with a group), and when I found someone to room with me and added them, the grand total for the cabin increased due to those taxes/port charges.

Once in a while, you'll find a cruiseline or a particular sailing that's charging less than 100% for the single supplement, but with so many ships sailing full these days, there's no incentive for the cruiselines to cut any of us single folk a deal when they can get the full fare by booking two in that cabin.

I've heard that there are ways to find a cruise roommate, don't know if you'd be interested in that, haven't really explored it myself.

I've made some friends here on CC and in fact will be cruising with them for my next cruise. I've never met my roommate face-to-face, haven't even spoken with her on the phone, but between e-mails and Yahoo Messenger we decided that we'll probably do fine together for an 8-day cruise.

Nah Cindy (hi roomie), I figure we'll fight like Cats and Dogs for the entire cruise, but that's what makes life interesting.;)

Ken, as Cindy said, I'm sorry for your loss. I've sailed solo a few times myself. There is the single supplement to deal with. Some lines do have pretty regular discounts on the single supplement (having to pay 175% of the fare, instead of 200%). RCCL only has those discounts very occasionally. I think HAL even has a program called single share where they will help find a roommate for you.

As to meeting other singles, RCCL at least has singles get togethers on cruises. I've only gone to a few of them as I usually have made friends onboard the ship by the time that occurs. I'm a pretty outgoing person though so it's easy for me. What I do is search out a popular bar on the ship, sit down at the bar to drink (you don't have to drink alcohol to do this), and talk to the bartenders and the other people sitting at the bar. I ask for a large table for dinner, that way I can meet people that way, I attend the activities around the ship, like the trivia games, and I go on excursions.

There is a solo cruisers board if you are interested in talking to other solo cruisers.

While on the AOS in OCtober I booked Mariner for next Oct as a single. The cost was around $200.00 less for the second person if you are booking single. I would call RCCL up and get a price for a single, then ask them about the price for 2 people in your cabin. Its not the whole 200% of the cruise.

While on the AOS in OCtober I booked Mariner for next Oct as a single. The cost was around $200.00 less for the second person if you are booking single. I would call RCCL up and get a price for a single, then ask them about the price for 2 people in your cabin. Its not the whole 200% of the cruise.
the reason it was about $200 less is because there was no charge for port and tax

Ken, sorry to hear about your loss. I think you'll find that cruising as a solo isn't as hard as you might think. I do it fairly frequently, and I always meet really great people, many of whom I am still in touch with. Like wrp96 suggested, a big table at dinner helps, as does just parking at a bar for awhile. I always make a point on the first day of picking "my" bar and bartender. Sometimes it's the first one I visit, sometimes it takes a few to find one that clicks, but I *always* find one where I feel comfortable, and where the bar staff is friendly and engaging. I often strike up conversations with others as they come and go. Also, I've met people ahead of time on CC, and arranged to eat with them, or at the very least meet them aboard.

As for pricing, it's also not as bad as you think. While on any given sailing you will typically pay 200% of the cruise fare plus only one set of taxes and port fees, single supplement sales are actually quite common, if you're not picky about the sailing you take. Just about every single weekly RCCL happy hour specials list has at least one sailing with a 150-175% single supplement, and sometimes I'll just put "1" in as the number of guests at rccl and be surprised by an unadvertised reduction. Two years in a row I have sailed west coast repo cruises, and both times I got fantastic single sales - 150% or less. At least one online cruise agency that I'm not allowed to mention by name has a list devoted entirely to single supplement discounts on a variety of lines (this same vendor also maintains a "90 day ticker" of upcoming discounted cruises).

In my experience, the reduced single supplements tend to show up most in two circumstances - first, if the sailing just isn't selling well, and second, if it's selling well but they're selling a lot of triples and quads. They have a limited number of lifeboat spots, and they certainly don't have enough to accommodate a ship full of quad-occupancy, so in these cases a single sale might pop up to fill some of those empty cabins.

Happy sailing!

Are you aware there is a perk that allows you to only pay 150% of any cruise when you reach a certain level of diamond plus. It's somewhere around 49 cruises.

The Single Supplement is reduced @ 50 cruise credits.

Are you aware there is a perk that allows you to only pay 150% of any cruise when you reach a certain level of diamond plus. It's somewhere around 49 cruises.

Hey even more reason for me to keep cruising only RCCL!!! Since I've made Diamond in 7 cruises hopefully I can make that level of Diamond Plus sooner as well.

Hey even more reason for me to keep cruising only RCCL!!! Since I've made Diamond in 7 cruises hopefully I can make that level of Diamond Plus sooner as well.

Well, maybe before you hit 50 cruise credits, Wrona, you'll have found a compatible mate!!!!!!!! ;) :D

Having lost my wife this summer, I'm curious about cruising as a single. Have questions about single supplemements and meeting other singles. Want to stay active with Cruise Critic, even if it will be a bit before my next cruise :) Would love to chat with other single cruisers -- e-mail me at the Y or the A.

KEN

Ken, I'm glad that you took my advice. :) Drop me a line!

Ken, sorry for your loss.

I am a widow and travel by myself all the time. Yes, I have to pay the full price of the room but I can do what I want when I want. Here are some things that do help:

1. When you book ask for a large table, 2nd seating would be perferred but I need main do to medical. Start a conversation with whoever is there, maybe you can hook up for an excursion.

2. Find out when they hold the single meet and greet on the ship. It use to be 11:45 the first night but now it seems to change depending on ship. check out the Cruise Daily for your ship.

3. If you like Carnival; they have single cabins but they are usually in bad places and very small. But you get it for 150% vs 200%.

4. If you are out going, go to a bar that appears popular. Seat down and talk to everybody. If you see a couple of ladies by themselfs introduce yourself and dance with them. (I can't dance without a lot of support so don't ask me). I just as likely to let you sit with me and talk.

5. When you go to the Single M&M talk to the staff/CD, they know who the singles are and may introduce you to some.

6. Yes, ship excursion are more expensive but you may meet someone there with similar interests.

7. Go the the various games on board. I go to triva when I can. Last cruise I was the built in babysitter for my grandchildren so I did not get around much (DD got married on board).

8. Once you have a fav bar, talk to the Bar Tender. He/she might know who some of the singles are and introduce you to someone.

9. Do the Congo line. I met two gentlemen that way. They were sharing a room because they talked on line and went halfers on the room. You could invite a friend from your home area to split a room with you.

10. do go on the single's board. It can be fun.

Have fun.

Ken...Sorry for your loss

I have been single for a few years, but always was taking my kids along... now they are all off to college.. moved away etc... So on to the next stage of life..(and looking forward to it)

I have my first solo cruise upcoming... and a second booked for next fall.. really wanted a vacation and a cruise seemed safe..and comfortable.. as I have been on others...did have to pay the single full supplement.. however would have had for all inclusive trips.. etc..

Last cruise..I was nearly single after dinner anyway as my sons took off for the younger crowd..and met lots of nice people between dinner and the Schnooner bar/baartender...

Michele

Sorry to hear about your loss, Ken. I was divorced back in the late 90s and still loved crusing. Have done 9 cruises solo since and have had a great time. Had a hard time the first cruise solo since I had cruised so much with my ex-wife. She was a sweet woman, but just grew apart. There were ghosts on the first cruise where I would be by the pool, at a show, on an excurision, where I would forget and turn around to make a comment to her. But after the first cruise, it became easier.

As others have commented on, there are plenty of people to talk with and meet. Get to go and do when you want. There are some down times. I had to adjust to when everyone left the table after dinner and went off to do their thing and you're there saying to yourself, "Hmmm, where do I go till the show starts?"

But, again, you will really enjoy the cruise with relaxing, making new friends, etc.

Go for it and have a great time, and you'll cruise again and again.

Dave

Nah Cindy (hi roomie), I figure we'll fight like Cats and Dogs for the entire cruise, but that's what makes life interesting.;)

Ken, as Cindy said, I'm sorry for your loss. I've sailed solo a few times myself. There is the single supplement to deal with. Some lines do have pretty regular discounts on the single supplement (having to pay 175% of the fare, instead of 200%). RCCL only has those discounts very occasionally. I think HAL even has a program called single share where they will help find a roommate for you.

As to meeting other singles, RCCL at least has singles get togethers on cruises. I've only gone to a few of them as I usually have made friends onboard the ship by the time that occurs. I'm a pretty outgoing person though so it's easy for me. What I do is search out a popular bar on the ship, sit down at the bar to drink (you don't have to drink alcohol to do this), and talk to the bartenders and the other people sitting at the bar. I ask for a large table for dinner, that way I can meet people that way, I attend the activities around the ship, like the trivia games, and I go on excursions.

There is a solo cruisers board if you are interested in talking to other solo cruisers.

My SIL will be joining us and has an inside stateroom for 125%. So cheap and wasn't a special on RCCL:confused: . $310 total (taxes, gov. fees). :) We expected at least 150%, so we are real happy.

Archived