Handicap Room on Crown Question

flarad

I'm probably opening a can of worms here but I have a question. We are booked in a handicap room on the Crown (no need for it, yes, I know, and I'm sorry) because it was the LAST balcony for four available. Believe me we would happily give it up for someone who needs it for a comparable cabin. We are waitlisted for a minisuite but this cruise looks like a sell out. Two questions, do you think there is any chance we'll get the suite? Second, what is the difference with the handicap rooms? I've heard they're larger than heard, no the space is just used differently. Is there any closet space or is it all bathroom?

I will claim NO COMMENT for booking the handicapped room when you don't need it, but I will ask the date of your sailing. It will give a clue if there are usually mini suites that might become available before you sail.

Just a hint: Don't count on them contacting you if a mini suite becomes available, they pay very little attention to those waitlists. Keep checking yourself several times each day and if you see one, call and have your booking switched quickly before it disappears.

Last year on the Star Iwe were given a Handicapped o/s cabin when I had booked a Guarantee.

I also thought that we would be upgraded but did not happen.

Room seemed to be about 40% larger than the normal o/s cabin.

Great room, oversized bathroom with curtains for a shower and drains in the floor.

Because of floor drains, it had a slightly musty odour. They sent someone from Engineering to flush the floor drains, which seemd to help.

I'm sure that if they had a need for that stateroom they would have assigned us a non-handicapped one

We are booked on the March 31st cruise. It's the week of Easter and peak spring break season. We booked last week when we saw the cabins quickly filling on the Crown. By the time we booked our travel agent said there was only one cabin left to book. It's on the Baja deck. We didn't realize it was handicap equipped until after. If you look at the deck plans there are two to four handicap rooms on each deck. The cruise is obviously going to be a sellout. I am thinking though that we are letting them know we're willing to give it up, we just didn't want to forego our cruise because it was the only room left. The minisuites for four sold out the week before we booked. Would it help if we called the 800 number frequently or do we just keep checking Princess on line to see if there are any available? Checking online is not quick, you have to enter all that data every time and work your way through the website. Any shortcuts I'm missing?

I agree with Toto... I would hate to see someone in a wheelchair not able to book a cruise because all of the wheelchair accessible rooms are taken with able bodied passengers. I have never heard of Princess asking someone to move because a handicapped person wanted to book a cruise.. I do not fault you, however I do fault your TA...

Aprilrad, the deck plans show cabins B301-B304 on the Crown to be the handicapped cabins, but they do NOT hold 4 passengers; they each have only two beds. Better contact your TA.

As for the rest of your question, you either need to go through the process, laborious as it is, or call your TA daily and ask. Princess does not want to talk with you because you have a TA.

My mom was just on the Crown in September. I had her take a whole roll of pictures of her handicapped minisuite and I posted them on Webshots. The room is significantly larger than a regular minisuite. You can see the minisuite I had on the Crown in another webshots album that I posted for comparison.

http://community.webshots.com/user/hill6

Thanks for the info about those rooms. We are in 302 and I will check with my TA. As far as those of you who say you would never book a H/C cabin so those who need them can have them. ALL the balcony cabins are booked. So, you think I should not book a cabin on the cruise we would like to go on, at the only time we can get away, when we have thought to plan five months in advance so, someone who is not planning in advance, should expect a H/C cabin to still be available when they get around to planning? The room wouldn't be available either way because by last week it would have been filled. Sorry if I sound unfeeling but - if you want to book a H/C cabin during spring break you better plan ahead. I do know that according to another board here Princess will move people in an H/C cabin who let them know they don't mind, to put a H/C needing person in that room. We have volunteered for this should a comparable room come available.

Thanks for the info about those rooms. We are in 302 and I will check with my TA. As far as those of you who say you would never book a H/C cabin so those who need them can have them. ALL the balcony cabins are booked. So, you think I should not book a cabin on the cruise we would like to go on, at the only time we can get away, when we have thought to plan five months in advance so, someone who is not planning in advance, should expect a H/C cabin to still be available when they get around to planning? The room wouldn't be available either way because by last week it would have been filled. Sorry if I sound unfeeling but - if you want to book a H/C cabin during spring break you better plan ahead. I do know that according to another board here Princess will move people in an H/C cabin who let them know they don't mind, to put a H/C needing person in that room. We have volunteered for this should a comparable room come available.

Again if you think you have a cabin for four you don't. There are only three handicap cabins on that ship that have more then 2 beds in it and it is D308, D703 & D707.

Your comment about why someone who needs a handicap cabin should plan ahead shows that you don't know what it is like to live with someone who has a disability or have one yourself. We always cruise in February but this year my oldest daughter had surgery in June and has been in the hospital in June, July, September, October and is having another surgical procedure done again on Friday. There is no way I could have booked a cruise for February any earlier then now with everything that has happened since June. Guess what all the handicap cabins are full so we will do Disney World this year.

Also I don't think you can complain that a disabled person didn't plan in advance when there are 1081 non wheelchair accessible balcony cabins, 24 balcony wheelchair accessible cabins, 447 non wheelchair accessible inside cabins and 5 wheelchair accessible inside cabins and you waited so long that all 1081 cabins were booked.

So, do you park in a handicap parking spot if you don't find one you like? After all the spot is empty and they should have get there sooner?

I'm handicapped, but since I don't use a wheelchair I took a regular room for my upcoming cruise.

I hope you'll think again about what you're doing. And don't forget, Karma likes to bite you in the butt.

ray

western star 2/10/07

I don't understand why Princess gives out these handicap staterooms in the first place. With so few of them couldn't they wait until after the final payment to release these (or upgrade). I agree with previous poster also. The OP waited until there was only 1 balcony available?? If they can't book earlier, then they take what is left.

Aprilrad,

I know how you feel. We're just off the Crown and I'm afraid to say that we had D308 a handicapped room. I booked 8 months before our cruise and was told that it was the only minisuite available. As we were deciding, our agent was told that if we didn't want it another non-handicapped person was going to take it. We booked, but waitlisted for every other minisuite for that week. We called and checked the website, but nothing opened up. DH didn't want this room, he felt that it would be a problem for us since we didn't need it. I had read about the drains flooding the room and all. We were going to cancel.

Now, about the room. It's very big. The bathroom has rails and just a shower curtain around the shower. We had no problem with the drains and it never flooded the bathroom or the room. The balcony is double the size and there are 2 closets with plenty of room and another with the safe with shelves.

Any other questions, please ask.

The only way I can see around this is IF the cruise lines begin to require a doctors note to book handicapped cabins. Yes, it would be nice if those that didn't need them left them open, but I can see both sides of this coin.

Personally, I feel that any complaints about accessible cabins being booked by those that are not in need be addressed directly to the cruise line itself. They are the only ones that can change this policy. IMHO

Toto2kansas,

I agree, maybe the cruise lines should ask for some documentation. Before we booked this room I saw it available on one of the travel websites and that's why the travel agent called Princess directly. They didn't even wait until final payment to sell it.

I am H/C and do book while in advance. I have 2 booked for Sept and Two For Jan 08. Thank you OP for stating that you are willing to give up the H/C if another suite comes up. However, through experience, they will just put it in general inventory when you do and it will be up for grabs.

I would have booked it too if it was the only thing available in the Cat I wanted. When the 90 or 70 day marker comes up check with the Cruiseline then to see if something has opened up. Also ask if your TA has a group of cabins what date she/he must turn them back in and check then too.

H/C room are 30-50% larger then a normal room (for wheelchair turning purposes). They have no steps into the washroom or the balconey (so that a wheelchair can be wheeled into them without difficulty). They only have showers with handheld ability so a disabled person can do it for themselves or have help. The bathroom sink will not have doors so that a wheelchair will fit under the sink so the disabled can get a drink or wash their hands. They always have a shower curtain to make it easier for the H/C to open and close. The floor drains are normally larger then in a normal one to help handle run off. They will have either a pull down seat or chair in the shower so you can transfer for washing. Handrails all around the bathroom. The toilet is 18" high for transfer purposes. There is sometimes a phone in the bathroom. There will be Emergency call buttons in the bathroom and by the bed (it is connected to the Bridge so help is not far away). The closets have pull down bars in them to assist those in wheelchairs in getting their clothes.

Toto2kansas,

I agree, maybe the cruise lines should ask for some documentation. Before we booked this room I saw it available on one of the travel websites and that's why the travel agent called Princess directly. They didn't even wait until final payment to sell it.

Back in the early 90's, documentation was required

Thank you Capt. and Cindy2 for understanding. No, I obviously would not park in a handicapped spot at a store, but that's comparing apples to peppers. I would love for Princess to find another room for us and open it up to a H/C person but as others have commented if it does open up the line will probably just book someone else in it. In the meantime I emailed my travel agent about the room and the fourth person. We do have an interior just down the hall for my dad but we wanted him (as a new widower) to have it to himself. We thought that booking five months ahead would be plenty of time, as we got a mini-suite last year on the new NCL Jewel no problem and the same on Disney the year before. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. And, again, I'm sorry for the trouble that it causes those with handicaps. I don't appreciate the assumptions that I'm a bad person because I booked the only available cabin.

Just got off the Crown and were in a HC cabin as my mom is disabled. We hated the closets. The pole is only 4 feet off the floor in the closet so pax in wheelchairs can reach. However, half of our dresses were on the floor as they were so long and the closet was so short. The doorway into the cabin was nice and wide so mom could get in an out. There was a chair in the shower which was great as mom is not able to stand while showering due to balance issues. Mom fell in the cabin one day during some rough weather. Thankfully she fell on the floor and did not hit on a dresser or anything and was only bruised.

We met many people on the cruise who were in need of handicapped cabins but they were already booked. What they really needed were wider doors so they could get into their cabins with their mobility devices. They will not fit thru regular doors. Some of these people checked at the pursers desk asking if they could switch with someone in a HC cabin who was not in need, but the pursers desk refused and said they were all booked and could not switch. I know for a fact that AB people were booked in some of these cabins.

I really don't think Princess or any other cruise line cares whether a handicapped person gets a handicapped cabin. As long as the cabin is sold they don't care who has it. Yes, it is partly the cruise lines fault. I only hope people will have some personal responsibility.

Aprilrad, I hope your waitlist clears. It clearly sounds like you dont want the HC room, just want a cabin for 4. Hope everyone has a wonderful cruise.

• 11 years later...
I would be sure to fill out the Mobility Questionare so they see that there are no needs for accomodations. Maybe that will flag you so if the cabin is needed you will be informed.

Hopefully the OP will let us know how it turned out on their cruise in MARCH 2007.