Oosterdam repair saga continues

DAllenTCY

I talked to HAL this morning and they told me that they had closed the 1/13/07 bookings. The rep said it was because the ship was almost full and that this was their standard practice - however, she then admitted that they sometimes keep sailings open until the last minute. Didn't really instill any confidence in me. She did say the cruise was still going and no decision had been made yet but that marketing and management were trying to figure out a date.

CathieM88 come join our roll call thread for Jan 20th.

Guys you are scaring me about this repair thing!! I will not be happy. I didn't read this whole post, may I ask with the ship not in complete working order what does this mean if we still cruise? What changes? Will it be a rough sail?

After seeing these threads and being unable to book for Jan 20; I called my TA. She talked directly to Ha and they are saying Jan 20th is a go. Now they may be blowing smoke up her skirt but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Maybe the lame Azipod is doing some work now. That might mean better speed = less vibration and more time in Cabo??? ;)

Hi,

Just got off the Oosterdam today and will tell you what was communicated to our Cruise Critic group. The partial fix to the port side azipod this past Wednesday will not help with increasing the cruise speed of the ship or vibration. It will only help with docking without tugboats. You could clearly see that the wake of it during our cruise back to San Diego was nothing compared to the starboard azipod.

After the second meltdown of the azipod windings a few weeks ago HAL has decided to purchase a brand new azipod to replace to port side azipod, at the cost of 20 million dollars. The delivery date of the new azipod is the first of the year. They will dry dock the Oosterdam in Victoria BC to install the new azipod. Though nobody can still understand what is causing the wires to short and then melt, a possible scenario could be a wrench or something was left in the motor during the last dry dock and is shorting the wires. But because it’s a mess after the windings melted, they cannot tell for sure.

Now, I really didn’t want to share the dates because there are 2 time slots they have to decide on for the dry dock, but it appears that the two time slots have already been reported. It will be either in January or in April, but the final decision from cooperate headquarters has not been decided as of this past Sunday (the exact dates in either of those months were not communicated to our group).

John

I have been lurking on this board for a while...

I just want to report what was told to me today at the san diego airport by a "cruise ship greeter" when I asked about the azipod problem...

"the ship is being sent to ITALY to be dry-docked at or near end of this sailing season..."

I am concerned too...I am booked on the Jan 20 trip....

Acktph

So they may be canceling my cruise on the 20th! That's nice! See I already booked my airfare and everything. I don't think anything they offered would help me at this point! Maybe if they pay my hotel for the week, give me a car and unlimited food.

AZJohn - thanks for the update. I had hoped that all was going to be ok until April but it is now sounding like with the delivery of the new azipod the 1st of the year, HAL will most likely want to put on the new azipod sooner rather than later, thus some cruises in January will be affected. This is VERY disappointing.:mad: Even it for some reason it isn't the cruise I'm booked on (1/13/07), I still feel for whoever will not be going on their cruise. I, like many people, have done a lot of planning, scheduling, etc to book this particular cruise, plus we have family flying into town to cruise w/us. At this point, the alternative cruises have limited if any availability and the prices are nothing like what we paid for. I am kicking myself that I didn't choose the Diamond Princess! We just had friends get off the Diamond Princess cruise and LOVED it.

I'm kicking myself that I booked another cruise period. I could have gone anywhere in the world <sigh>. I also have air/hotel booked. Good thing I didn't buy the prepaid zoo tickets.

Will they really need to take the ship all the way to Italy? Why don't they offer the cancelled cruisers transportation on the ship to Italy as compensation then fly us home? Many people would be more than satisfied with that and they'd retain the majority of their customers.

I, like some of you, was very concerned that our cruise would be cancelled prior to our sailing. So I understand the frustration, making all the plans, having expectations, and not knowing what the heck was going on (from HAL). That is why when we were told of two dates for dry dock, I was hesitant on sharing the info because there has not been a final decision.

As far as Italy:confused: , that was not even an option. I consider the staff member who informed our Cruise Critic group that the dry dock will be in Victoria a much better source than a cruise ship greeter at the San Diego airport.

I don’t know what I can say to all of you who have planed a cruise in January or April other than maybe try and just keep a positive attitude which I had to do after reading all the freaking azipod updates:o .

Hang in there,

John

I have been lurking on this board for a while...

I just want to report what was told to me today at the san diego airport by a "cruise ship greeter" when I asked about the azipod problem...

"the ship is being sent to ITALY to be dry-docked at or near end of this sailing season..."

I am concerned too...I am booked on the Jan 20 trip....

Acktph

Sorry but I think that's complete bunk info from that "airport greeter"

Thanks for the upate AZJohn - hope you had a great cruise!

John,

Did the ship needing repairs change your port times? The ship is moving slower right??

Yes, we did not get to Cabo until noon (I think it was scheduled for 7:00 am). Mazatlan there was no change but had to leave PV at 6:00pm instead of 10:00. I do want to tell everyone that the ship sailed great. I did not feel any abnormal vibrations anywhere on the ship, but some folks said they did. Running on one azipod trully had no effect of the great time we had on the cruise!:D

John

And when are they going to inform everyone? The day they show up at the dock? I also want to know how quick HAL will be to refund the cancelled cruises....I would hope it would be expedited (discounting the possibility of course of their customers crossing over to the competition) since they are the onces cancelling.

And when are they going to inform everyone? The day they show up at the dock?.

That's a great question! You should know that I'm not a HAL cheerleader and won't discredit anyones feelings or stick up for HAL. I am just sharing info with all of you which we were told or experianced. As we were told, the decission will come from corporate headquaters and not from anyone on the ship. I would hope they decide and inform everyone effected now!

John

I'm going to call HAL tomorrow just for the heck of it and see if I can cancel my cruise and switch to another ship (I do have insurance through HAL) and I'm flexible with the dates I can be gone. I just don't like all this uncertainty at a time when I am supposed to be eagerly anticipating.

But couldn't they give refunds for the cancelled cruises then offer a free repositioning to Victoria as compensation for the inconvenience? Wouldn't they rather have a full ship than an empty one?

Wow!!! I'm so shocked that this is happening to our cruise :(

Heather, I'm calling our Travel Agent first thing on Monday to get the full scoop.

I have a strong feeling that HAL will pull the Oosterdam from the 1/20th cruise (our cruise!) and put it into drydock for repairs!~

I wonder if they are holding off deciding a date while they wait to see when exactly the azipod will actually be available. I worked for a large corporation that made machined parts and while you try to meet your deadline and get your part completed and in the proper hands by the deadline projected a lot can happen. A part can be completed early, or can be delayed for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if HAL isn't waiting to find out from the manufacturer an absolute timeframe for the azipod.

I wonder if they are holding off deciding a date while they wait to see when exactly the azipod will actually be available. I worked for a large corporation that made machined parts and while you try to meet your deadline and get your part completed and in the proper hands by the deadline projected a lot can happen. A part can be completed early, or can be delayed for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if HAL isn't waiting to find out from the manufacturer an absolute timeframe for the azipod.

Good point. The fact that they are now considering a January date, when before it was just an April date would indicate that the azipod might be available soon.

Good point. The fact that they are now considering a January date, when before it was just an April date would indicate that the azipod might be available soon.

If they are considering a January date then it would be our cruise date that they would use - 1/20/07 - as that's the last cruise week of January :(

If they are considering a January date then it would be our cruise date that they would use - 1/20/07 - as that's the last cruise week of January :(

I don't know why you feel that it would be 1/20 - I feel it could be any week in January. I guess like others have said, it depends when the part is actually delivered. I also do not think that they would take the ship to Italy - that wouldn't make much sense. Victoria seems much more likely.

AZJohn - did HAL give you any indication of the dates in January when the azipod will be delivered? Does 1st of January mean the 1st or what???

Thanks!

AZJohn - did HAL give you any indication of the dates in January when the azipod will be delivered? Does 1st of January mean the 1st or what???

Thanks!

Hi,

No they didn't give a specific date, just the term the first of the year. I asked that the rumor here at CC was April 20th was when the dry dock was going to happen and I was a little shocked when he said it's either January or April. Again, no specific dates for either month because it was not decided on yet from headquaters.

By the way, thank you Cop John. We did have a great cruise on the Oosterdam. It was different (in a good way) from the Volendam, but yet the same in many regards (if you know what I mean;) ).

John

For all of you that just got off the Oosterdam thank you for your input! My DH is probably not thanking you tho...as you have gotten myself and my traveling buddy inspired to shop today for our 1/20/07 cruise!!! The sales are looking fantastic and my credit cards are itching for a workout!!! Thanks again to all of you and we are looking forward to having as fantastic an experience as you all did!

Archived