Oosterdam repair saga continues

DAllenTCY

Even though I know nothing about ship mechanics, I do have a background in the building trades including commercial repair & maintenance and I can honestly say that repairs are often not fixed the first go around. I think some people thought if they installed a new part they could flip a switch and everything would be fine; but more than likely there are issues with various ship systems from mechanical to electrical to hydraulic that have to get addressed and at sea is really the best time to perform the necessary tests and trials of this new equipment. So I agree that they are not going to just put away their tools until April. In the end they might not even need the drydock and they will be offering some excellent incentives to fill those two cruises at the last minute.

and the reason the ports were reversed was because we left San Diego so late, and the speed trials during the night didn't work. The Captain figured he couldn't get to Cabo by noon on Monday, so he just reversed ports. We had two shore excursions booked through HAL, and they adjusted the times. We had as long in all three ports as the shortened itinerary, but Cabo was way early. That was okay by us, because it meant we essentially had another half-seaday. We got $25 credit per person, so DH & I got $50 total. Many of us felt really sorry for the Captain when he had to announce the delay in sailing because of the anchor problem. Poor man--he sounded pretty discouraged.

Anyway, until the azipod gets fixed, I suspect they'll stick with the already published shortened port times. I highly recommend Las Caletas in PV! Total beach chill time with no crowds.

Also, to add to entertainment possibilities-Kory in the piano bar is terrific!

Also, to add to entertainment possibilities-Kory in the piano bar is terrific!

Isn't he, though! :)

When he was on the Noordam last Spring he wasn't sure what the future held when that contract was up. I'm so glad that he stayed with HAL---it improves the chances I'll spend some more nights with him (around the piano:rolleyes: ).

LOVE Las Caletas in PV!

I love Cabo because of the more desert feel (not as humid/tropical as PV) with such an odd desert-at-the-ocean feel you don't get anywhere else, and the smallness of the Marina area - it's just so easy to get around on foot or water taxi. Plus the restaurants they have in town are so good!

To me, Cabo is slightly more of an upscale destination (one day I'm going to rent a week in a condo up on Pedregal!) as far as the resorts and clientele go than PV (just a little - PV is still awesome!)

thru the cruise line or on your own --- who are you zipping with and what tme

lougee,

I am going through the ship for a couple of reasons.

One, the port times keep changing so its hard to schedule privately. I chose the 8:00 but will let HAL move it according to their port times

Two, I don't want to leave my mom alone too long and I figure if I depend on HAL transportation it will be quicker than using taxis to the offices of the independants.

By the way, last time I was there I used Los Veranos Zip line and they were excellent!:)

Wow! I learn something new everytime I'm on these boards. Have a great time "flying" Tinknock50! We'll be getting on the O as you leave - heading to SD 12/15.

Too bad there isn't some way for people embarking and people disembarking to meet. Perhaps we will be on the same ship at the same time in the future.:)

Really looking forward to the zip line!

Even though I know nothing about ship mechanics, I do have a background in the building trades including commercial repair & maintenance and I can honestly say that repairs are often not fixed the first go around. I think some people thought if they installed a new part they could flip a switch and everything would be fine; but more than likely there are issues with various ship systems from mechanical to electrical to hydraulic that have to get addressed and at sea is really the best time to perform the necessary tests and trials of this new equipment. So I agree that they are not going to just put away their tools until April. In the end they might not even need the drydock and they will be offering some excellent incentives to fill those two cruises at the last minute.

Some good points there, contrstructiondude-

I have to think that if they put the prop on and thought it might have been fixed, that they may have been close. Would be great if they do keep working on it, and end up not needing the drydock. Would give some longer port times to some of these winter cruises in Mexico, and open back up a couple of cruises in April (and as you say- maybe for a good deal!)

Here's hoping...

Tinknock50, I've been on the ziplines with the ship's excursion twice before, and believe me, you will not be disappointed! The only down side for me was the ride out to the site. It was open-air, in the the back of a truck ride and I was bothered by the exhaust fumes. Not just from the truck, but from all the cars on the streets in general. But other than that, the guides are funny and the course is waaaay fun!

I'll be on the Oosterdam leaving 12/2 but this time I'm going to Yelapa...need to see something else.

~Lynne

Some good points there, contrstructiondude-

I have to think that if they put the prop on and thought it might have been fixed, that they may have been close. Would be great if they do keep working on it, and end up not needing the drydock. Would give some longer port times to some of these winter cruises in Mexico, and open back up a couple of cruises in April (and as you say- maybe for a good deal!)

Here's hoping...

From my knowledge of electric motors and what I have gleaned about the ones used in propulsion systems, I would think it would be virtually impossible to make a complete repair without getting it out of the water and opening up the pod. At best, they were hoping to energize one of the two tandem motors after clearing out the worst of the debris from the most seriously damaged windings and doing a lot of insulating work on the wiring. I doubt that there is any way to replace the burned upwindings from the inside with the shaft still going through the motor. Even if they are successful in getting it somewhat operational, you can bet that the drydock will still be required to make permanent repairs. The only thing that might change that would be availability of the parts. Right now, it looks like they have the parts lined up, but you know how that goes from being in the trades. Things change with little or no notice.

Tinknock50, I've been on the ziplines with the ship's excursion twice before, and believe me, you will not be disappointed! The only down side for me was the ride out to the site. It was open-air, in the the back of a truck ride and I was bothered by the exhaust fumes. Not just from the truck, but from all the cars on the streets in general. But other than that, the guides are funny and the course is waaaay fun!

I'll be on the Oosterdam leaving 12/2 but this time I'm going to Yelapa...need to see something else.

~Lynne

Enjoy your zipline! I know I will enjoy mine. Last time I went with Veranos and it was great!

Just got off the Oosterdam this morning. We did the usual itinerary, but shortened times in ports and got a $25 shipboard credit for each passenger.

Vibration was REALLY bad all over the ship. It didn't seem to be normal movement - every night in dining room our dishes rattled and the light fixture by us rattled very loudly. We had to be pushed/pulled by tugs in Mazatlan (the only port where we docked).

One of the group traveling with us was at the Mariner's reception and heard from one of the officers that they need to get the ship into drydock sooner rather than later because of the lack of maneuverability and the large cost in using tugs. No dates were mentioned.

We had an aft VA cabin and it was very strange looking out and seeing the wake on only one side. Last night the seas were really rough and we were getting shaken quite a bit.

Archived