Local specialties & handmade items?

Joby

I am in the midst of reading/researching about local specialties and handmade items from the ports on our upcoming cruise (Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, Tortola). I love to buy local, unique, reasonably priced things from untouristy shops.

Examples might include: small paintings, jewelry, foods, cloth art, pottery, music...

I've read that Tortola's uniques might include B.V.I. stamps, pottery, larimar jewelry.

Any other suggestions and/or places to shop?

There is (or was, not sure if it's still open) a small shop in the shopping village near the cruise dock that had only locally made items. There is also a stand set up in Apple Bay at the corner of Zion Hill Rd. with items from a local artist named Nan. I believe the pottery at Bamboshay in Nanny Cay and there is local artist Aragorn's studio at Trellis Bay.

A doll, hand made out of cloth in Road Town was $8, A tee shirt printed with one of Aragorn's designs was around $28 if I remember correctly. A hand painted Mocko Jumbie mask from Nan cost me $50, her pottery plates were higher, somewhere around $75 - $80 I think. A hand carved wood map of Tortola in Road town was $100. Pottery at Bambushay was on the high end. Earings at Arawak-$7 up to $50. A print of one of Fluke's (Roger Ellis) great paintings, $15 -$20. There are also original paintings available in Road Town that run in the hundreds and up into the thousands.

Hope this helps some.

Archived