Hobby Photographers need advice

Guest settlinger

Guest settlinger

We are 70 year old high end hobby photographers and that is the main reason we travel. Vantage has a teriffic deal on a PG week with 3 days pre cruise in Papeet. We don't snorkel, and we can no longer do strenuous hikes up hill. Could those of you who have been in this venue advise us on photography experiences. While scenes are nice, we prefer to photograph local people doing local things. Also, I have not seen any prices for excursions listed. Anyone know where we can see excursion pricing, or at least find a range? From research, the Jeep tours look like a possibility for us.

I can't think of too many more beautiful subjects to photograph than the islands of Tahiti & the beautiful people who call it home. I got great shots of families frolicking on the beaches one weekend. The faces of people doing every day things is captivating enough. As for info on excursions offered on the PG.....they are listed on the Regent website (link below). But they do not list prices. Sorry. My previous experience on the PG was 8 yrs. ago; so I can't be of much help in advising you.

http://www.rssc.com/ports/home.jsp?region=S.PAC.

• 1 month later...

Rent a car and drive all the way around the island. The road is narrow in some places, but once you are out of Papeete, the traffic is very light. Papeete is a little confusing to get around in especially at afternoon rush hour. A few one way streets, but if you stick to the coastline it is easy to get through. Car rental was about US $100 per day (Feb 2006) and can be arraigned form most hotels.

You can plan on a minimum time all the way around Tahiti around 5 hours, more with stopping at the Gauguin museum. There are water falls, grottos, beaches, blow-holes and of course the nearby island of Moorea. Speaking of Moorea, if you plan your timing just right you can photo it at sunset.

If you do get a car, make your circumnavigation clockwise. The narrowest part of the road will be the first part of the trip. Moorea would be at the end. Be sure to take one of the side trip roads onto Tahiti-Iti.

Archived