Insurance question -- Need one that covers flight and cruise

CVL105

I'm looking to buy insurance that will cover my cruise vacation. Specifically, I need one that will help me catch up to port if god forbid my flights get delayed and I miss the ship. I am flying same day to Puerto Rico for a Destiny cruise on Christmas Eve. I left plenty of time, I will arrive in PR at around 2pm, ship leaves at 10pm. But I still am worried about snow storms (I'm from Boston), etc.

Is there an insurance that will cover flight problems?

Thanks!

Okay, maybe i'm a little slow, but I'm having a hard time determining whether the insurances will pay for flight delays, etc.

Can anyone suggest a specific plan that will cover this?

I've never seen one that didn't. Go to www.insuremytrip.com, you will put in your information (it will ask if you are including flight), it will then give you a selection... review the policies and see which one fits you the best for what you want covered. It will list the amount covered for each incident, including flight. Also, read the limitations of the policies.

Any plan that covers travel interruption or delay will cover your flight questions. I am not aware of any third party policies that do not. Its the cruiseline policies that only cover their air, but not yours. All of the policies at insuremytrip cover this, check to see the amount of coverage in the comparison chart to determine hw much you want.

ok, one more question, sorry...

So if it says it covers trip delay 12+ hours...does that mean if my flight is delayed 6 hours, or I miss my connection and can't get a flight for another 6 hours and therefore miss the ship, I won't be covered cause it wasn't 12+ hours?

What you want to look for is the plan's trip interruption coverage. For example, CSA -- one of the best for trip interruption covers you for:

"arrangements canceled by an airline, cruise line, motor coach company, or tour operator, resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship or boat or motor coach on which the Insured is scheduled to travel, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation.

Items 1 and 2 above are subject to the following conditions:

1. the scheduled carrier connecting times must meet airline required legal minimum connect times; and

2. the scheduled time between arrival at the Scheduled Trip Departure City and the scheduled trip departure must be 2 hours or longer."

So with CSA even if it's a 30 minute delay, if it causes you to miss a connecting flight you're covered as long as your original schedule had you arriving at your embarkation port at least 2 hours prior to sailing as you are.

You'd file a claim for the value of any missed days on the ship and the cost of a new air ticket to catch up with the ship along with hotels, meals, etc. The maximum benefit is 150% of the amount you insure. If you insured $1500 your benefit is up to $2250 which should be more than enough to cover your loss.

Compare that to Travelex -- one of the worst. You're only covered under trip interruption if:

"Unforeseen Inclement Weather which causes complete cessation of services of Your Common Carrier for at least 24 hours;"

24 hours is a long delay. The odds of quailfying for that is tiny. Buy they do have a "Missed Connection" benefit of $500 if:

" 1. Additional Transportation Cost to join the Covered Trip or return home, including up to $200 per day for reasonable accommodations and meals, if Your delay requires an unplanned overnight stay; and/or

2. unused non-refundable portion of the prepaid expenses as long as the expenses are supported by proof of purchase and are not reimbursable by any other source.

Delay must be five (5) hours or more and certified due to the following reasons:"

So now they're down to a five hour delay but they limit their coverage to $500. Figure maybe two nights of the cruise missed (if the first day is a sea day) plus the cost of a last-minute, one way air ticket and that $500 may not be near enough to cover your losses.

If missing the boat because of a weather-related delay was my primary concern I'd definitely lean toward CSA.

ok, one more question, sorry...

So if it says it covers trip delay 12+ hours...does that mean if my flight is delayed 6 hours, or I miss my connection and can't get a flight for another 6 hours and therefore miss the ship, I won't be covered cause it wasn't 12+ hours?

That's what it sounds like... but there should be a clause for missing the cruise... check different policies, they are all different. This is the reason I can't imagine flying in the day of, especially in the winter. Check different policies... maybe you will find one with a shorter window, it may be more expensive.. but check around.

That's what it sounds like... but there should be a clause for missing the cruise... check different policies, they are all different. This is the reason I can't imagine flying in the day of, especially in the winter. Check different policies... maybe you will find one with a shorter window, it may be more expensive.. but check around.

Ya, I really wanted to fly in the day before but since it's around x-mas time, the hotels were VERY expensive. I'm a recent college grad, so spending an extra $150-$200 for a hotel room is alot of money for me. I am flying solo and meeting my family there, so I would have had to pay the full price myself. I just couldn't justify the price.

Ya, I really wanted to fly in the day before but since it's around x-mas time, the hotels were VERY expensive. I'm a recent college grad, so spending an extra $150-$200 for a hotel room is alot of money for me. I am flying solo and meeting my family there, so I would have had to pay the full price myself. I just couldn't justify the price.

Have you tried Priceline? If it's just a hotel before the cruise it doesn't need to be really great... I've always gotten hotels for less than $60 through Priceline.. might be an option??

Have you tried Priceline? If it's just a hotel before the cruise it doesn't need to be really great... I've always gotten hotels for less than $60 through Priceline.. might be an option??

yes, I did try and unfortunately nothing came through up to like $120. I guess it's expensive/busy during x-mas.

Archived