Some advice re Vancouver/Victoria

gidders

Hi. My wife and I are 1st time cruisers. We are making arrangements independently , Flights are arranged from the UK and we have booked on Norwegian Sun out of Vancouver on 27 May 2007 . We fly into Vancouver from Scotland arriving in the evening of 23 May and my initial thoughts are to book a hotel in Vancouver for 23 and 24 May and on the Friday, 25 May cross to Vancouver Island staying overnight in Victoria and return to Vancouver late Saturday for anothet night before boarding the ship on the Sunday. We will also have another 3 nights in Vancouver before we fly back to the UK,

Suggestions on this proposed itinerary, and transport/tour options for getting to and seeing around Victoria plus overnight hotel accomodation suggestions would be most welcome . I have still to trawl through the vast amount of info on the web site to source possible hotels in Vancouver and excursions while on the cruise.

Many thanks in anticipation.

IG

Some of the MUST SEEs while in Vancouver include:

- Gastown - where the city of Vancouver began. Lots of small shops and good heritage architecture. Check out the Steam Clock.

- Stanley Park - 1000 acres of urban park, including the Vancouver Aquarium. Horse-drawn trolleys are available for hire. If you like seafood, try the Fish House for dinner; pricey, but worth it.

- the Vancouver Art Gallery, located in the former law courts building, has a wonderful collection of exhibits

- To get a different view of the area, try the tram ride up Grouse Mountain, but make sure it's a clear day

- If you have the time, travel south to the historic fishing village of Steveston and visit the Britannia Heritage Shipyard and the Gulf of Georgia Cannery. They tell the stories of salmon as king.

- And, again, with available time, travel east to the community of Fort Langley. There you will find an active village focussed on arts and culture. Lots of antique stores, art galleries, and Fort Langley National Historic Site, a former Hudson's Bay Company fur trade post of the 1850s.

In Victoria, try these locations:

- Fort Rodd Hill / Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites - reflects Canada's west coast military heritage and fortification architecture.

- Royal Roads University (Hatley Park) - the baronial estate of James Dunsmuir, former Premier and Lieutenant Governor of B.C. Great gardens and one of Victoria's several castles.

- Craigdarroch Castle - the 1900s home home of Robert Dunsmuir.

- Emily Carr House - the birthplace of artist Emily Carr

- the Royal British Columbia Museum - one of the premier museums in B.C.

- the Fairmont Empress Hotel - although VERY pricey, stop for afternoon tea.

- the inner harbour.

- north of Victoria, back toward the ferry at Brentwood Bay, stop at the world famous Butchart Gardens. This place is always in bloom with lots of colour and wonderful viewscapes.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

You can take the bus from downtown Vancouver that will bring you across on the ferry right into downtown Victoria .When you want to go from Victoria the busline has a direct bus from downtown Victoria right to the cruiseship terminal.Very easy and reasonable.No hassles!

Lots to do in Victoria esp Butchart Gardens,Antique row [if you are into antiques]a great museum .Lots to do within walking distance of downtown.Also tour buses that do highlites of city.

If you are comfortable driving on "the wrong side" I would suggest a rental for your trip to the Island. (Victoria on Vancouver Island) Once you get out of the Vancouver Traffic it's a failry easy go and with a car you can get into lots of neat places along the way. On the Lowermainland and over on the Island. One night in Victoria will be a quickie you might want to consider another night with the time that you say you have pre/post cruise. If you do settle on a rental let me know and I'll give you some easy side trips and what not.

But the easiest way would be the bus as mentioned above. Staying in victoria is easy and there will be lots of choices budget wise right in the core area.

The city itself downtown is an easy walk from most downtown/core hotels. I stayed recently at the Empress and although a little pricey it is central and in the flow of things.

Regardless of where you stay walk through the hotel and take in that "PiP PIP Bengal tiger stuff of yore" for a laugh ( seeing where you are from)

Edit to add Site

Here's a reliable site I llike to use http://www3.telus.net/cruise_watch/info.htm

I always take a car over to Vancouver Island, you are far better off for touring with one, I would also stay 2 nights since you have so much time. There is plenty to see and do. Orca Whale watching is excellent, Butchard Gardens, the lighthouse is historic.

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/

http://www.vancouverisland.travel/

As a suggestion, I recommend you include tours for glaciers - if of interest. You are NOT likely to get within view of any from your cruise ship in Tracy Arm, too early. If available, I highly recommend the separate Tracy Arm excursion that leaves from Juneau and delivers direct back to the ship. This does cut into the Juneau port time.

We are very interested in visiting the castle, but on the Pearl's itinerary, we dock in Victoria at 6pm on Saturday, and leave port at 12:00 midnight. Is the castle even open for visitors then? What is available to do during the evening hours in Victoria? Just wondering if the museum and all is available or not. :)

Thanks!

Star

I drove through the parking lot of the castle a few weeks ago. Sorry I can't give you the hours but I'm almost sure that it would not be open unless via a ship tour or something that was booked.

I can't help at all on the museum but you know they should have a website.

We flew from Toronto to Vancouver and did a little plane over to Victoria.

Victoria has a wonderful little, uncongested airport and we took a cab to the Fairmont Empress, which is right in the touristy, waterfront area of Victoria.

Stayed three days at Fairmont Empress and then 4 days Fairmont Waterfront (right across from the cruiseship terminal). There is a bus terminal right behind the Fairmont Waterfront (hotel bell boy took our bags right over).

We got the bus from Victoria to Vancouver. We did Buchart Gardens, City Tour, Craigdarroch Castle, Water Taxi/Fisherman's Wharf, Zodiac Whale Watching-- Victoria was a real hi-light and truly beautiful. If you have a chance try out Spinaker's Restaurant/Pub by water taxi. In Vancouver we did Stanley Park and Aquarium, Waterfront walk, Gastown. Coming from so far away, you may also like a day trip to Whistler. We did everything by tours without a rental car.

Hello everyone

Many thanks for the guidance and suggestions. What a great web site. t We plan to use the public service bus and ferry from Vancouver, catching the 9.00am ferry across to Victoria. We have decided on, in view of your suggestions (and booked ), two nights in the Coast Harbourside Hotel and Marina in Victoria and will visit as many attractions as possible within the time available including Buchart Gardens during our visit. I have reserved a place on the whale watching trip at Juneau direct with Capt Larry of ORCA Enterprises anyone been on it ?. I am still working on what trips to take in at Ketchikan and Skagway. I was planning to arrange these independently although guidance on whether to leave it until my wife and I are on board the ship would be welcome. Regards IG

Pacific Coach Lines is the bus line that will take you right to the cruiseship from Victoria .It gets you to the ship around 1 PM and it leaves right from downtown behind the Fairmont Empress Hotel.When you get into Victoria go and buy your ticket ahead of time or email or phone with your name a few days ahead.It is easier!

Also if you decide to go to Butchart Gardens the public bus takes you there alot cheaper than the tour bus.It is about 30-40 minutes from town by bus.

Hello everyone

Many thanks for the guidance and suggestions. What a great web site. t We plan to use the public service bus and ferry from Vancouver, catching the 9.00am ferry across to Victoria. We have decided on, in view of your suggestions (and booked ), two nights in the Coast Harbourside Hotel and Marina in Victoria and will visit as many attractions as possible within the time available including Buchart Gardens during our visit. I have reserved a place on the whale watching trip at Juneau direct with Capt Larry of ORCA Enterprises anyone been on it ?. I am still working on what trips to take in at Ketchikan and Skagway. I was planning to arrange these independently although guidance on whether to leave it until my wife and I are on board the ship would be welcome. Regards IG

Yes, I have gone with Orca Enterprises many times and is highly recommended by me. But your sightings with them out of Juneau is 99% humpbacks, orcas only being sighted on average every 5-10 days. Out of Victoria- it's orcas. I always take at least one whale watch out of Victoria when I'm there, 2 if I can schedule it. :) I like the zodiacs the best here, nothing quite like being on the same level as the whales. :)

Pacific Coach Lines is the bus line that will take you right to the cruiseship from Victoria .It gets you to the ship around 1 PM and it leaves right from downtown behind the Fairmont Empress Hotel.When you get into Victoria go and buy your ticket ahead of time or email or phone with your name a few days ahead.It is easier!

Also if you decide to go to Butchart Gardens the public bus takes you there alot cheaper than the tour bus.It is about 30-40 minutes from town by bus.

I've taken the city bus as well to Butchart. Pick up is on Douglas, behind the Empress, up the street across from MacDonalds. It does take more time, since it has frequent stops and doesn't run real frequently. Check on the schedule. There also is supposed to be a shuttle bus, although I don't know where it's picked up??

I've taken the city bus as well to Butchart. Pick up is on Douglas, behind the Empress, up the street across from MacDonalds. It does take more time, since it has frequent stops and doesn't run real frequently. Check on the schedule. There also is supposed to be a shuttle bus, although I don't know where it's picked up??

How much time is needed to:

1. Disembark

2. Get bus or ferry to Vitoria from Vancouver (where can we put our luggage??)

3. See a bit of Victoria

4. Get back to Vancouver by 5:00???

Trying to plan the day after the cruise. Thanks. Time will definitely be limited - Is it do-able???

1. Disembark

3. See a bit of Victoria

Trying to plan the day after the cruise. Thanks. Time will definitely be limited - Is it do-able???

When we did a day trip to Victoria from Vancouver, we had a rental car, got an early morning ferry to Victoria from Tsawwassen, and returned on the next to last ferry in the day. It would be hard to do that and be back to Vancouver by 5:00.

The bus tours are all-day events:

Gray Line - http://www.etix.com/glwest/servlet/onlineSale?action=viewTourDescription&route_id=12009&franchise_id=409

Pacific Coach - http://www.pacificcoach.com/index.cfm?method=pages.showPage&pageid=020746f1-f1f2-1f94-84e0-f36d29bf93e5

1. Disembark

3. See a bit of Victoria

Sorry, this is not doable on a day trip needing to get back to Vancouver the same day and never recommended by me. IF you have to get there, I only recommend flying. You fly right outside of Canada Place via a private floatplane.

http://www.harbour-air.com/home/index.php?id=2

We are very interested in visiting the castle, but on the Pearl's itinerary, we dock in Victoria at 6pm on Saturday, and leave port at 12:00 midnight. Is the castle even open for visitors then? What is available to do during the evening hours in Victoria? Just wondering if the museum and all is available or not. :)

Thanks!

"Allow 1 hour min. Daily 9-7, June 15-Labour Day; 10-4:30, rest of year. Admission $11.50; senior citizens $10.75...."

Hope this helps

Archived