Here is the schedule I got back in January when i sent RCCL an EMAIL

Splendour of the Seas - May 6, 2006

Empress of the Seas - October 28, 2006

Majesty of the Seas - January 15, 2007

Rhapsody of the Seas - February 9, 2007

Grandeur of the Seas - April 14, 2007

Serenade of the Seas - April 24, 2007

Mariner of the Seas - April 29, 2007

I wonder why RCI has waited so long to refurbish some of their ships. Some sort of refurbishment every five years would be nice, but then again that costs $$$$$$$!

Here is the schedule I got back in January when i sent RCCL an EMAIL

Splendour of the Seas - May 6, 2006

Empress of the Seas - October 28, 2006

Majesty of the Seas - January 15, 2007

Rhapsody of the Seas - February 9, 2007

Grandeur of the Seas - April 14, 2007

Serenade of the Seas - April 24, 2007

Mariner of the Seas - April 29, 2007

I don't understand that response. Where do you get the idea that RCI waits longer than 5 years between dry docks for each ship? RCI dry docks their ships every 2 to 3 years. The ships listed here have already had dry docks/refurbishments since their launches. (Although this might be Mariner's first dry dock; she is the youngest of the ships listed.)

beachchick

Thanks firefighterhoop for your response.

I know at one point I had seen a website with the info on ships and I can't find it anymore.

We are looking at a cruise on the Med in October 2008 on the Voyageur of the Seas. I think it has been refurbished in 2004, but I just wanted to confirm this.

Geesh, chill out!!! Didn't mean to come off as attacking "your" cruiseline. It was a general statement you know. When was the last time the Grandeur of the Seas has been refurbished? I searched around the internet, and I have found any information about a refurbishment...doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You know...we are just making conversation around here...trying to pass time! In the future, I will be sure to make sure I censor anything that I say about RCI...well, maybe not. Don't really care if someone doesn't agree with what I say. Folks quickly get over themselves!

I don't understand that response. Where do you get the idea that RCI waits longer than 5 years between dry docks for each ship? RCI dry docks their ships every 2 to 3 years. The ships listed here have already had dry docks/refurbishments since their launches. (Although this might be Mariner's first dry dock; she is the youngest of the ships listed.)

beachchick

Geesh, chill out!!! Didn't mean to come off as attacking "your" cruiseline. It was a general statement you know. When was the last time the Grandeur of the Seas has been refurbished? I searched around the internet, and I have found any information about a refurbishment...doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You know...we are just making conversation around here...trying to pass time! In the future, I will be sure to make sure I censor anything that I say about RCI...well, maybe not. Don't really care if someone doesn't agree with what I say. Folks quickly get over themselves!

Ok I read the other person response and did not seeing coming off as an attack on you. Maybe you need to quit taking things so personal. This is the internet and you have no idea as to what tone the other person is taking on the other end of the conversation.

When was the last time the Grandeur of the Seas has been refurbished? I searched around the internet, and I have found any information about a refurbishment...doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The Grandeur was last refurbished in October 2004 in Mobile, AL.

No, I don't take anything personal. Believe me, I have far too many things going on to worry about what someone says here on a message board. Whether it was an attack or not, I stated my feelings on the matter. That is just my two cents on the matter.

Ok I read the other person response and did not seeing coming off as an attack on you. Maybe you need to quit taking things so personal. This is the internet and you have no idea as to what tone the other person is taking on the other end of the conversation.

Wow. First, I didn't think you were attacking anything, and RCI is certainly not "my" cruiseline. My family and I aren't loyal to only one, and I don't think RCI is the perfect be-all and end-all to cruising. Why so defensive? It was not a matter of not agreeing with what you wrote. It was that what you wrote was incorrect. That's hardly a personal attack on you, and it certainly wasn't intended to be one.

To me it sounded like you were stating as fact that RCI waits longer than 5 years between dry docks. I (and thousands of other CC members here) know for a fact that they don't. That's why I didn't understand your response. To assume that my stating a fact makes me some sort of RCI apologist or cheerleader is rather a stretch in logic.

beachchick

p.s. I have no need to "get over" myself. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

So what exactly do they replace during the dry dock?

My Wife and I are on the Grandeur for the May 5th re-positioning cruise to Baltimore and I'm curious as to what they are planning to refurbish/replace/upgrade.

Also, do they normally finish these tasks on time?

Scott

I'd like to know that too! Also, like Sabast1 asked, what exactly do they do they do in drydock?

It really depends on the ship. Since the Navigator is still considered a pretty new ship she will have her hull inspected and the ship will receive a good cleaning. Maybe a few carpets replaced but not much more than that on such a new ship. Sometimes ships get much more. A good example will be the Majesty OTS who will be out of service for about four weeks. She is getting a major refurbishment with added dining options, etc.

We recently got back from the Grandeur 13 day repo from Baltimore to NOLA. She is in great shape. If you didn't really know her age, you would be hard to guess it. The crew and staff are taking excellent care of her. She will go to dry dock April '07. They'll fix the dent and the one broken rudder. And anything else that needs fixin'. The stretch? That's been put on the shelf for a while. We have her booked again for next fall to Bermuda. Grandeur? We reccommend her highly!

I am looking for a website that lists when ships have been most recently refurbished.

Can anybody help me?

I don't know how accurate it is but I found this when looking for pricing. On icruise dot com, if you pick the ship and then a sail date, a link will come up for the ship and give you the ship info.

New Bedding Schedule:

Splendour—Completed

Legend—Completed

Navigator- 6/10/06 – 8/5/06-- Completed

Voyager- 6/17/06 – 8/5/06-- Completed

Sovereign- 7/3/06 – 8/18/06-- Completed

Monarch- 8/7/06 – 9/22/06-- Completed

Explorer- 8/5/06 – 9/22/06-- Completed

Enchantment- 8/19/06 – 9/30/06-- Completed

Vision- 9/24/06 – 11/5/06-- In Progress

Empress- 10/28/06- 11/9/06

Radiance- 1/7/07 – 2/17/07

Majesty- 1/12/07 – 2/8/06

Rhapsody- 2/3/07 – 2/24/07

Serenade- 2/24/07 – 4/21/07

Jewel- 2/18/07 – 4/4/07

Grandeur- 4/4/07 – 4/28/07

Brilliance- 4/28/07 – 5/17/07

Mariner- 4/23/07 – 5/20/07

Adventure- 5/20/07 – 7/22/07

Drydock Schedule:

Empress—10/28/06 – 11/9/06--- Charleston Drydock

Majesty—1/12/07 – 2/8/07—Freeport Drydock—Total Renovation like Monarch, Sovereign and Empress received

Rhapsody- 2/3/07 – 2/24/07—Mobile Drydock

Grandeur- 4/4/07 – 4/28/07—Mobile Drydock

Brilliance- 4/28/07 – 5/17/07—Hamburg Drydock-- change over from Gas Turbine to Diesel Engines

Mariner- 4/29/07 – 5/6/07—Freeport Drydock.

It’s also been approved that the Grandeur will be lengthened like the Enchantment. An actual date has not been announced, but they are planning for Spring 2008.

Its good to check the schedule for dry dock and not book a cruise on the few weeks before the ship goes in. We were on the Sovereign the last week before it went to dry dock and the ship was torn up and renovations had started. They were also trying to lay new carpet. They had started on deck renovations so parts of the deck were closed. It was noisy and the ship was a mess. We were not happy and would never have booked that week if we had known the ship was going to be in the condition it was. Even the week after dry dock can not be so great either as they are normally wrapping up with what did not get done during dry dock.

"Brilliance- 4/28/07 – 5/17/07—Hamburg Drydock-- change over from Gas Turbine to Diesel Engines"

Any reason given for this ? i'm just back from the Jewel and Cpt + Chf Eng loved the Gas turbines

Will this cause issues for Stern cabins ie soot !!!

jj.....

"Brilliance- 4/28/07 – 5/17/07—Hamburg Drydock-- change over from Gas Turbine to Diesel Engines"

Any reason given for this ? i'm just back from the Jewel and Cpt + Chf Eng loved the Gas turbines

Will this cause issues for Stern cabins ie soot !!!

jj.....

I´m not sure if this is still true for Brilliance as I think to have heard that Jewel will be the first one to get the Diesel engines.

However I can answer your question. I asked especially this on the Jewel during the Captains talk.

The Diesel engines will not replace the gas turbines. They are added.

The Gas turbines are very expensive to run, though very clean in aspects of environmental regards.

However the gas turbines are best at cruising speed and not really sufficient when maneuvering and docking. When speaking of being insufficient it´s meant that they need a lot more energy than a diesel engine does and therefore wastes a lot energy.

So the decision was made to add the Diesel engines to reduce cost and make those ships more efficient.

While the Gas turbines are very clean and sufficient one has to keep in mind that they are one of the most exepnsive engines to run a ship right now.

Archived