Cabins Designed for Solo Cruisers?

Oink

:) Hi Cruisers! I just completed my first solo cruise....a 7 day Eastern on HAL's Zuiderdam. Overall it went very well. What little complaints or disappointments I did have, had nothing to do with the fact that I was traveling solo this time. I would like to repeat the experience, but am trying to figure out if there are any ships with cabins designed specifically for solo/single cruisers. My favorite lines are Princess & Celebrity, but I'll sail on virtually any line if the price and itinerary are right for me. Please advise!

Thanks! :)ink!

Carnival has 1A cabins that are good for solo cruisers, since they frequently have bunkbeds instead of 2 twins that convert to a queen.

I like sailing in just a regular inside stateroom though on RCCL. I don't mind paying the single supplement to get the room I want (and a little extra space).

The Princendam has two outside single cabins and one or two insides as well. I have booked an outside single for the top of the World cruise next July.

Viking River cruises through Russia and the Ukraine also have single cabins. My friend and I each had one this Fall on a Russia river cruise. It was a wonderful cruise and the cabin location was perfect, but they are extremely small - barely enough room to turn around. That really didn't bother us as we would rather each have our privacy.

I'd also like to hear of other options.

Pat

The Queen Elizabeth II (QE2) has cabins for singles. I have never been on her so I don't know what they are like.

Small!:D

Actually this year on QE2 I was allocated a double bunk bedded cabin - ok for one, but I would hate to try to travel with two in it:eek: - there were 2 free standing pieces of furniture, other than the bed, which were a chest of drawers (5) and a bedside table style unit (it was not next to the bed but the door whioch would hit it on being opened) - there was a pull out 'table' from the chest, but when open it was difficult to access the drawers. The top was taken up with the TV and phone. The top of the other unit was taken up with the tray (ice bucket and glasses). So I had about the same space as the phone for my incidentals:eek: - probably kept me tidier than usual (all the mess was in the top drawer:D )

All cabins on QE2 are different sizes (and shapes), ranging (I think) from about 73 sq ft to about 150 (single Mauritania cabins - posher cabins do get bigger). The bigger cabins sell first!

Next year I have an outside single cabin, but it is about the same size I believe (the larger ones inside and out had already sold out & that was 8 months before sailing!)

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that Carnival and Hal have the best solo prices.

If one is willing to cruise in the 'off season' (early December, after New Years, etc.) prices are definately better.

I've wondered about the QE2 expecially because of all the solo cabins. But, living in the states/west coast I'd still have to consider airfare.

Pat, how did you enjoy your Russia trip? We talked a bit before you went. Would you consider another river cruise?

Faith

Hi Faith,

We had an absolutely wonderful time on our Russia river cruise. My traveling companion, Pam, did write a review - I'm sure there is a better way to do this but I don't know how - check under River Cruising - Waterways of the Czars - posting on 9/20/06 by Pam in MA. She also posted some pictures of our extraordinarily small cabins!! No matter - though. They were adequate and we had a great time. It was very different from an ocean cruise - very casual and lots and lots of walking. The people were friendly and very open. There were only about 150 or so on board so it was easy to strike up a conversation. There were several solos and all were assimilated into the group without any issue.

We loved it so much we have booked a China river cruise next year with Viking and my son's mother-in-law is going along as well. I haven't given up on ocean cruising, however, and have three of those planned as well. It is just a great change of pace and we loved the intimate feel of the river, the people and the staff.

Pat

Glad you enjoyed your first river cruise. I've also thought about doing a trip to China and would probably try and find one with some river cruising.

Sounds like you have some wonderful trips planned. I'm heading out on a cruise to Mexico over the holidays and am planning to do a land trip to Italy next year.

I used to think of my cruises in terms of local shorter trips. But after reading these boards I'm sure I'll be doing more exotic cruises in the future.

Faith

:) Hi Cruisers! I just completed my traveling solo this time. I would like to repeat the experience, but am trying to figure out if there are any ships with cabins designed specifically for solo/single cruisers. My favorite

Thanks! :)ink!

The Spirit of Discovery (Cruise West) has 2 single cabins. I booked one for cruising Alaska in May 2007. The price is the same as the smallest double room plus a single supplement. Since this ship has only 2 single cabins, I booked early to make sure I reserved one.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently doing research on this myself. Looking for cruise lines with single. Not many out there. Cunard has some single cabins on their older ships, not the new Queen Victoria. Saga Ruby and Saga Rose have the most single cabins and their top outside cabins look beautiful, expensive though. Hellenic cruises also has some single cabins.

We single travellers are usually left with paying the huge single supplement to have cabins to ourselves.

Valerie

Archived