Lunch in Mazatlan?

stevesinps

Hello.

We will be cruising the Mexican Riviera in December and thought we would just go into Mazatlan for lunch (Wednesday 12/6/06). We have heard this is a good port for shrimp lovers (which we are). Does anyone know a good lunch spot for shrimp and margaritas? We plan to "hop a cab", are not afraid to get off the beaten path, and price is not an issue. Please help.:confused:

Thanks.

We'll be there the week after you. We've gone on Randi's Happy Horses on Stone Island which ended up at Victor's on the beach for some of the best shrimp I've ever had. Last January, we contacted Randi and asked if we could skip the horses and just go to Victor's for the shrimp & beer. She said sure. It was about $20 each. We had wonderful shrimp and Pacificos. Not sure if they have margaritas. You could contact Randi and ask.

Just a thot. We'll probably do it again this time.

Cheers.

Hello.

We will be cruising the Mexican Riviera in December and thought we would just go into Mazatlan for lunch (Wednesday 12/6/06). We have heard this is a good port for shrimp lovers (which we are). Does anyone know a good lunch spot for shrimp and margaritas? We plan to "hop a cab", are not afraid to get off the beaten path, and price is not an issue. Please help.:confused:

Thanks.

We went Horseback riding this September with King David on Stone Island and after our wonderful ride they took us to Molokay restaurant on the Island where we all ( 8 of us ) had their special Shrimp Platter. Wow! Oh! Wow! Never ever had any of us had shrimp prepared so tasty. On those platters were these jumbo shrimp done in 5 different styles. More than I should eat but I did it anyway. The restaurant is absolutely beautiful right on the beach with lots of small palapas and large ones for groups and a big plus, No Pesky Vendors like some of their neighbors as Victors and they have large very clean restrooms & showers to boot. They have lots of activities available like boogie boards, banana boat, a ride through the village in a horse drawn cart and snorkeling.

No drinkers in our group but they were serving beer and drinks from a cute little round palapa topped bar right on the beach. Just bet you can get all the Margaritas you can drink for just a few pesos!

For people who do not want to ride, King David will take you to and from the Island for a very small fee & I would imagine it would be safer to book

in advance for I have been told they can get filled up fast.

I have talked to people who have ventured off on their own to Stone Island

and wound up on the Island several hours later and ate at some dingy beach restaurant with the smell of over flowing restrooms and were chastised for arriving back late to their ship.

Hope this helps stevesinps Adios cruzinpam

Hello.

Thanks.

I have been living in Mazatlan almost 26 years now and the shrimp here are about the best I have experienced anywhere. I have been to every single restaurant in this rapidly growing city of which many I would recommend very highly when it comes to Shrimp and a few I would not. But a friend told me about the newly renovated restaurant Molokay ( for us gringos thats pronounced "mo lo ki " in English ) on Stone Island.

So this last September me and a friend hopped a ride to the island. ( 5 minutes by boat from the cruise ship docks ) When we asked our English speaking waiter what he recommended he told us the Special Shrimp Platter. Now there are shrimp of all kinds and I have had them prepared for me in many ways, but when my big blue eyes saw these giant shrimp laid out on our big oval platters I knew I had found a new favorite spot to come to regularly. It is very hard for me to describe good taste. Can not think of any words that would describe the taste of these jumbo shrimp. There were 5 differently prepared styles on that platter of which only two I recognized. My favorite breaded (jumbo only) were the best ever I have ever eaten. The other four I can only say was a brand new experience for me and all I can say is I am going back again and again for some more.

As for getting there from off your ship you could book a tour but all of them will take you to their restaurant on the island except for King David who takes his groups to Molokay. However it is not to hard to do it on your own. Just get directions at docks for the water taxis to Stone Island ( a short 6 minute boat ride across harbor at 15 pesos round trip ) and then a short open air taxi to Molokay for about 20 pesos. The same in reverse to get back to ship.

Hopes this helps stevesinps -- if you see an old man with white beard under a big palapa with a pacifico beer and an empty plate of shrimp husk

in front of him thats me---a fellow shrimp lover maztlanmike

We were just at Victor's on Weds. Diamond Princess is very very close to the water taxi we walked back to the ship in about 8 mins.

We first went to downtown Mazatlan (didn't really like it) so got a 10.00 cab back to ship region very very close to the Stone Island water Taxis (Water taxis is 50 pesos each return trip included)

Got off the water Taxis and walked up the beaten path and around the corner to this incredible beach!!!! WOW Many many restaurants, we found Victor's...... Randi and one of her groups (maybe 15- 20) was at the next table.

My husband was really not sure about eating here and I had to do some fast talking!!!! He thought the restrooms were horrible and I thought they were pretty much what I was expecting, maybe the women's are cleaner then the mens?

We had 6 Pacificos, a cola, the shrimp,fish and rib platter, and our son had the fish sticks. YUUMMMMMYYYY!!!!!! Entire bill came to 25 US we left 35. For $50.00 US the three of us had a incredible seafood lunch and many ice cold beer and lots of relaxing time at the beach.

We were there for about 3-4 hours and took advantage of the water, in fact we had to pull our teenager out of the surf at the end, he did not want to go back to the Diamond.

My husband noticed a very popular restaurant up the beach and I ma now wondering of that might have been the one mentioned???

That said, Victor's rocked.

Oh there was a very very skinny dog there who had just had puppies, we fed her and she was so friendly but so skinny, I gave her a litre bottle of water which she guzzled out of my hand. She seemed to like the water more then the food.

We walked back (5 min walk if that)to the taxis around 3 and by 3:20 we were waiting to board the Diamond again.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I Have To Say The Molokay Restaurant Was Excellent , Clean And Will Definatley Return Next Time . If Your A Shrimp Lover Go There There Is Lots Of Activities To Enjoy And Great For All Ages . If You Want Shrimp But Not On The Island It Will Cost A Bit More But The Shrimp Bucket In Olas Altas Ive Heard Is Good To And Close To The Cruise Dock.

Archived