Queen Victoria Tour

jgsmuzzy

Hi lexxity

The location of the Hyatt is excellent - good view up the Hudson and across to Brooklyn too. Stayed there last September. Though I think weather and daylight will be against us on the morning of 13 Jan 08 - wherever we are!!!

Ken

Yeah right - can just hear Prince Philip now ' Lilibet you can't possibly launch Queen Great-great-grandma, she's a bally Vista clone!'

Ken icon12.gif

I'd be more persuaded by the idea of him being horrified that 'Lilibet was "naming something those filthy eye ties were building. Bad enough that you named that damned froggy thing, but there are limits you know........"

I'd join him in the thought that it is sad that neither QM2 or QV were British built - but thus far and no further.......

Ken,

that's a good point. Shall we all take an early morning trip out to the Statue of Liberty? :D

Lexx

Thanks Lexx ... but I think I'll pass on that one icon12.gif

If we weren't sailing on QV I'd be very tempted to do the QM2 cruise you've booked. In spite of adverse comments on this board about QM2's NYC / Caribbean itinerary in 2007/8, we recently did something similar on Explorer of the Seas and have to say that sailing to and from NYC adds so much more to a Caribbean cruise (even if it is from Bayonne or Brooklyn!!!) - apart from the extra sea days.

Ken

I have high hopes.

I might point out that on 26th April 2004 my lovely wife and I were (with others) given the opportunity to view Queen Mary 2 as a guided tour from Queen Elizabeth 2.

Whether the offer was extended to those in steerage I cannot say, but it was certainly available to the special people on the Signal Deck...;)

I did not realise that those people on signal deck were 'special'!!!!!!!!!!

As a matter of interest Cunard ran some sort of 'lottery' to view the QM2 and my husband & I were lucky enough to be selected, so we had a tour of QM2 the day before she sailed on her Maiden Voyage. Very nice it was too with refreshments served in the Queens Room. She is a beautiful ship and one day we may sail on her but while QE2 is around I doubt it. Mind you we travel steerage so I guess we were lucky to be chosen. It would seem we would not have stood a chance had 'Kindlychap' been doing the selection.:rolleyes:

I did not realise that those people on signal deck were 'special'!!!!!!!!!!

As a matter of interest Cunard ran some sort of 'lottery' to view the QM2 and my husband & I were lucky enough to be selected, so we had a tour of QM2 the day before she sailed on her Maiden Voyage. Very nice it was too with refreshments served in the Queens Room. She is a beautiful ship and one day we may sail on her but while QE2 is around I doubt it. Mind you we travel steerage so I guess we were lucky to be chosen. It would seem we would not have stood a chance had 'Kindlychap' been doing the selection.:rolleyes:

Indeed not.

If I'd been organising it there would have been just the really special people.

My wife and me!

:D

What were the adverse comments about NYC carribbeans? I must have missed that.

We did a Carribbean out of Fort Lauderdale and to be very honest it has put me off crusing out of Florida ever again for several reasons.

1.) It's a bloody pain to get to from the UK.

The majority of passengers were "snowbirds" who spent the whole time complaining.

2.)Because they were all regulars on RCCI, etc we were treated to 10 days of whinging about how there were no climbing walls, ice ranks, yadda, yadda.

3.) The complaints of how she was too big. Erm what was your first clue?

4.) The attitudes towards their fellow passengers was just disgusting.

So New York suits us for many reasons.

What were the adverse comments about NYC carribbeans? I must have missed that.

We did a Carribbean out of Fort Lauderdale and to be very honest it has put me off crusing out of Florida ever again for several reasons.

1.) It's a bloody pain to get to from the UK.

The majority of passengers were "snowbirds" who spent the whole time complaining.

2.)Because they were all regulars on RCCI, etc we were treated to 10 days of whinging about how there were no climbing walls, ice ranks, yadda, yadda.

3.) The complaints of how she was too big. Erm what was your first clue?

4.) The attitudes towards their fellow passengers was just disgusting.

So New York suits us for many reasons.

Some CC members were saying that it was a bit 'boring' and that she should do more exciting winter itineraries!!! Also, a TA (think it was ocyngpz???) said that they did not sell well.

Agree with the getting to NY easier than Florida - and it's more of an occasion to start out in cold weather and sail somewhere warm icon10.gif

Ken

Besides what Ken C posted for cruising from NYC, your first two days are at sea! How much better can it get than that! Even if you like port-hopping, (and the admomitions to buy, buy, buy! We are the ONLY place in the universe to get Tanzanite, and since there is only one mine, they'll soon run out! HA! Been saying that for decades!) it is nice to have that two days to get unpacked leisurely, get acclimated, find your way round the ship and the wonderful nooks and crannies I haven't seen all of on TWO cruises so far, get to know your fellow passengers, the Golden Lion Pub, the Commodore Club, etc, and just relax! Visit the libaray and bookstore, take in the planetarium, do the history walk, find Homer Simpson on the mural, (and now, I find out, the belted Galloway cows!) Check out the Stephen Card paintings on board.

Yep I don't even NEED any ports!

Karie,

who NEEDS to book again soon!

P.S. Not all snowbirds are like that- Our friend Penny (PATWELL) will be on the Dec 2. I'll lay you good money she will not be doing in whinging! Unless it is that Beth Maria and I are not on board with them!) And FLL is easy to get to for a port. (Not so Miami) NYV isn't always easy, depending on the day of the week and what's going on, and of course, both are dependent on where you live! Presonally, these days, I simply hate to fly! (not to mention baggae restrictions)

From the UK getting to Fort Lauderdale takes a good 24hrs via somewhere unless you can get on a Miami flight. (Not very likely as I would have to connect through Heathrow on a twice daily).

I'm sure not all snowbirds are like that, but honestly the ones we had, sheesh!!

From where we live NYC is dead easy. Four flights daily from 15minutes down the road.:D And if we do chose to go through Heathrow there is about 20 direct services so it is much easier.

From the UK getting to Fort Lauderdale takes a good 24hrs via somewhere unless you can get on a Miami flight. (Not very likely as I would have to connect through Heathrow on a twice daily).

I'm sure not all snowbirds are like that, but honestly the ones we had, sheesh!!

From where we live NYC is dead easy. Four flights daily from 15minutes down the road.:D And if we do chose to go through Heathrow there is about 20 direct services so it is much easier.

Ooh err Lexx - 24hours??? We always do a 2 leg flight to FLL (Gatwick to Newark or Atlanta then on to Fort Lala) - can't you do something similar from Manchester??? It's sometimes better than a non-stop because you get to stretch your legs after 8 hours!!! Max travel time for us is usually around 12 hours - hence the 8 hour flight to Newark from Gatwick is a winner for us!

Ken

Your only hope is if you are a member of a special group (like a press group) or if you are personally invited by someone of importance at the cruise line or aboard the other ship (like the Captain).

Well, I have had a reply from Cunard (3 days, not bad at all!), and as Doug predicted, no tours will be available unless you are press. They will have a tour of 200 press and travel agents to have a look round. Shame, but thinking about it, they only have a finite amount of time to disembark the passengers, cleam the rooms, do the tour, check in the new passengers and get underway for 5pm.

Oh well, I can still look at the outside!

Well, I have had a reply from Cunard (3 days, not bad at all!), and as Doug predicted, no tours will be available unless you are press. They will have a tour of 200 press and travel agents to have a look round. Shame, but thinking about it, they only have a finite amount of time to disembark the passengers, cleam the rooms, do the tour, check in the new passengers and get underway for 5pm.

Oh well, I can still look at the outside!

Come to think of it .... I seem to remember there was something on Cunard.co.uk where you could register to receive QV information updates and interest in being on a tour??? Worth checking out to see if it's still there. As I recall there was a lottery of CWC members to visit QM2 when she was launched.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...
Ooh err Lexx - 24hours??? We always do a 2 leg flight to FLL (Gatwick to Newark or Atlanta then on to Fort Lala) - can't you do something similar from Manchester??? It's sometimes better than a non-stop because you get to stretch your legs after 8 hours!!! Max travel time for us is usually around 12 hours - hence the 8 hour flight to Newark from Gatwick is a winner for us!

Ken

I like cruising out of New York but do not want to arrive there again. Flights for Toronto go out of La Guardia, the dirtiest, nastiest airport I have ever been through. Worse than the ones in Mexico with cockroaches. I know I am biased because of the way I was treated there :mad: but although I wanted to do the QV world cruise I am not cruising back to NY I will fly from the UK so am only doing a 7/8ths world cruise.

Yes, but where?
  1. Manhattan (No QM2) or
  2. Brooklyn (only 1 berth) or
  3. New Jersey

They could be at all 3, depending on other ship sailing schedules. My guess would be QM2 in Brooklyn and QE2/Queen Victoria in Manhattan - unless they get dispensation from the Coast Guard for the QM2 to hang her stern out into the Hudson again.

I sailed on the Caronia when the QM2 was in Southampton before her maiden voyage, and was told no way for us to visit....

Peter

I have heard from an oceanliner enthusiast friend, who lives and breathes liners like no one I ever met, that the plan is to have all three at the westside piers. The photo op and resulting publicity will be more effective. I am on the tandem crossing (QE2) and I am considering extending to FLL or possibly Rio to experience the simulatenous departure of the Queen and the two wannabes.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning:

we booked the TA-passage on QUEEN VICTORIA.

Is there any special public event planned from the Terminal Operators or from CUNARD to celebrate the three QUEENs in New York the first time?

Happy New Year + Happy Cruising

HeinBloed, Germany

@KenC and lexxity:

I have read your recommendation to stay at the HYATT but I cannot find on HYATT's website any hotel in New York City except the Grand Hyatt at Central Station.

Was the hotel rebranded meanwhile?

Thanks for any information.

HeinBloed, Germany

@KenC and lexxity:

I have read your recommendation to stay at the HYATT but I cannot find on HYATT's website any hotel in New York City except the Grand Hyatt at Central Station.

Was the hotel rebranded meanwhile?

Thanks for any information.

HeinBloed, Germany

Hi HeinBloed

Its the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Jersey City, New Jersey (not New York). It's directly across the river from the World Trade Centre with ferry and PATH train links right outside the hotel - and the view is incomparable!

Regards

Ken

I have heard from an oceanliner enthusiast friend, who lives and breathes liners like no one I ever met, that the plan is to have all three at the westside piers. The photo op and resulting publicity will be more effective. I am on the tandem crossing (QE2) and I am considering extending to FLL or possibly Rio to experience the simulatenous departure of the Queen and the two wannabes.:rolleyes:

That sounds wonderful ...... unless you are embarking on one of them - like we are on QV to LA!!! I suppose we will get a taste of how it was in the 'good old days' on liner row - pure pandemonium! Can't wait to see the two new Queens and the old lady together. Cunard are promoting it as 'probably the first and last time they will all be together' - which doesn't bode well for old Lizzie!

Ken

Has anyone found any specific information about this meeting and sailing of the three? I don't see anything on the US Cunard site and when I emailed Cunard to ask what plans there were, I got an email back saying it was "too soon" to know what if anything would be done???!!!:confused: Now I know it's a bit over a year from now, but I'd assume something as "historically significant" would have been planned and promoted somewhere. I'm thinking of booking QM2 for the sailing on the 13th but it would be nice to know what will transpire. Thanks for any insight anyone has...

Cheers, Penny

I am on the tandem crossing (QE2) and I am considering extending to FLL or possibly Rio to experience the simulatenous departure of the Queen and the two wannabes.:rolleyes:

Great you take some pics with us on QV and we take some of you on QE2.

But without disappointing you:

QM2 is supposed to leave two hours later than QE2 and QV (both 5 pm).

Regards,

HeinBloed, Germany

Hello HeinBloed....and thank you so much for this link. It was very helpful to have some idea of what is planned. I do wonder why they don't have all 3 of them sailing from NY together as I would think that would be very exciting. My plan right now has been to book possibly on the QM2 for the Jan 13th sailing. And thank you for the booking information too. I'm sure your tandem sailing will book very fast and will be an most exciting time for all.

My husband's grandparents came from Bremen and he has a deep love for his German roots. Happy New Year and thanks again from South Carolina, USA

Cheers, Penny

Penny, we are booked on the QM2 for the 13th!! I can hardly wait!

We are holding off booking a hotel until we know where they are docking. Jersey City will probably be too far out for us, I would prefer to stay in the city or outat LGA again.

Hi Everyone..... Penny, thanks for directing me over to this thread...

Well, I'm booked on the QM2 out of NYC on the 13th and am still thinking about crossing over from Southampton on the QE2...

My guess is that they will almost certainly dock at the old piers... it's a special occasion after all. I was really disappointed to hear they won't all sail away together... :mad: Is this true anyone?

If that's the case then, I'm not too sure about any special event... how are they going to work that? Or will it just be for QE2 & QV... This can't be right?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.... will be my first time on QM2. I've got high expectations and am sure I won't be disappointed!

Regards,

David

Archived