Queen Victoria Tour

jgsmuzzy

Hi Everyone,

It would be nice to see all 3 Queens docked side by side in Manhattan but it would probably be a real ordeal for everyone trying to get on the ships. Just embarking on the QM2 was 3 hours in line back in Nov 04. I just booked yesterday on the Queen Victoria for "3 Queens Day". We could all wave to each other . We will see how everything works out. I am working on my own personal hat- trick.Exactly 1 year to go!!

I haven't read all the way through this pile of text, but I'm hoping I have something to add.

From a site that lists where ships are expected to be in port, I can report they think all 3 ships will be getting into NYC at 7:15 AM. Then QM2 is listed to sail at 7pm with the other 2 heading out at 5pm. OK The Cunard site says the same thing.

SO anyone hoping to be out to see this needs to schedule a water taxi for the early AM. 5PM will be dark and 7PM - forget about it !!! I want to be there and hope to hear of what boat options are available.

What a shame hey?

Talk about bad planning on Cunard's front.... if the 3 ships can arrive together, they should all sail out together too...

I had imagined the three ships sailing out together and then fireworks to mark the occasion.

Perhaps the 3 Queens in NYC won't be such a special occasion after all? :mad:

We'll be on QM2 in anycase, so what will be, will be.. :)

Regards,

David

Sorry for the triple post.... another quick question:

I've been thinking of sailing over to NYC on the QE2..... If I do that, do you think there would be a fast track system in place to transfer people over to QM2?

Or would I be thrown out onto the streets and told to get in the queue?

Regards,

David

Sorry for the triple post.... another quick question:

I've been thinking of sailing over to NYC on the QE2..... If I do that, do you think there would be a fast track system in place to transfer people over to QM2?

Or would I be thrown out onto the streets and told to get in the queue?

Regards,

David

American Immigration probably have more to influence this than Cunard. Both ships will need to be cleared before ANYONE can get back on board either.

I'm sure that there will be some sort of fast track - and I'm sure your luggage will not be a factor for you - but you might be better braving the streets of New York for a couple of hours and then returning to the fray.

My instinct is that you're not really going to know much before 12th January 2008.

Has Cunard Line posted any ideas or plans about the procession by the three Queens into NYC harbor area? Seems that simultaneous arrivals and dockings will be no easy feat.

Have been on QE2 and QM2, and anxiously waiting on QV maiden voyage. Will travel up to NYC to see the "Three Queens" make history, and hope the weather cooperates!

For the sake of discussion, let's expect the QM2 will dock at Red Hook. They can fit only one ship there. Then QE2 and Victoria (the old and new) can go all the way up to the traditional NYC piers and be together. With fireboats along it should be a good show... if the weather cooperates. Then at 5pm if they sail on time for long trips, they can head down river and be near the QM2 for possible fireworks by the Statue of Liberty. Then the large ship is still tied up and won't have to station-keep in the channel, waiting for the others.

QV could go to Bayonne, which has a lot of parking for the onslaught of press and travel agents you might expect would be invited to visit that day, but why would you hide your new toy in Jersey - away from the passersby on the NY side?

For the sake of discussion, let's expect the QM2 will dock at Red Hook. They can fit only one ship there. Then QE2 and Victoria (the old and new) can go all the way up to the traditional NYC piers and be together. With fireboats along it should be a good show... if the weather cooperates. Then at 5pm if they sail on time for long trips, they can head down river and be near the QM2 for possible fireworks by the Statue of Liberty. Then the large ship is still tied up and won't have to station-keep in the channel, waiting for the others.

QV could go to Bayonne, which has a lot of parking for the onslaught of press and travel agents you might expect would be invited to visit that day, but why would you hide your new toy in Jersey - away from the passersby on the NY side?

You know, this makes a whole lot of sense!

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...
I. e. all three are berthing the Manhattan Terminal???

Regards,

HeinBloed

It would be lovely to get just one more Manhatten arrival under my belt.

And a photograph of all three lined up there would be quite something.

I'm sure they will - if they can!

Matthew

Good point Peter, I hadn't banked on them being os seperate sides of Ellis island! You never know, they may had lengthened the pier by then.

Last time the piers on Manhattan were lengthened were in the early 30's for Normandie & QM(1). *The pier was not extended out into the Hudson (because of the clearance in the shipping channel) but cut into the island!**

Not likely to ever happen again!

Last time the piers on Manhattan were lengthened were in the early 30's for Normandie & QM(1). *The pier was not extended out into the Hudson (because of the clearance in the shipping channel) but cut into the island!**

Not likely to ever happen again!

From the NY cruise Terminals web site:

At the request of Carnival Corporation, an application will be made to extend the terminal's mooring capacity further into the Hudson River so that a 1,200-foot-long berth, large enough to accommodate the Queen Mary 2 and other ships that extend over 1,000 feet, can be built.

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/devel.html

Not sure when this was written, recently, or back when the first started and may be old (and increect) news.

But hey! If I read it on the internet, it's got to be true, Right? <G>

Karie,

who believes everything she reads (NOT!)

In theory, it is hoped that eventually a new larger pier will be built in Manhattan and QM2 and other very long ships will be able to berth there again.

In reality, I do not expect it to happen any time soon. Maybe in 10 or 20 years but not in the near future - it is something that is planned for "someday" but there are no immediate plans to do it.

Archived