Epson p2000/p4000 question

whale-watcher

We are thinking of purchasing one of these prior to our upcoming panama canal cruise, but still have a few questions:

Can these gadgets be used as portable DVR's as well, to record content from TV or our home DVR (would be useful to have a few movies loaded to occupy the kids during down time)

Can you print directly from these devices, or do you first need to transfer the images to a computer or sd card?

Does anyone have any experience with similar items (pocket dish, archos, or the new RCA lyra x3030 which also has a sd card reader built in?)

Thanks in advance!

Can these gadgets be used as portable DVR's as well, to record content from TV or our home DVR (would be useful to have a few movies loaded to occupy the kids during down time)
No, probably not like you envision. The unit doesn't have a tuner, so you couldn't record with it. You can transfer video that already exists on your computer to the Epson unit so you can watch it. I do not think you can transfer video directly from your home DVR to the Epson.

Can you print directly from these devices, or do you first need to transfer the images to a computer or sd card?
According to the Epson website you can Print directly to the following printers: Stylus Photo R300, Stylus Photo R320, Stylus Photo RX600 and PictureMate

While I always use my Macbook when I travel, I do have friends that have the Epson and really like it. It is definitely the top of the line as far as portable photo storage goes, but there are others that do just as good of job storing photos, but they just don't compare to the Epson when I comes to displaying the images. The only thing better would be a notebook computer.

I've had my p2000 for nearly a year now and can't figure out how I lived without it! I've never used mine as other than a photo storage/review unit but if that's what you're looking for, it is the best one out there, in my opinion.

Dave

Thanks...there was nearly-new p2000 posted on ebay last night with a very reasonable buy-it-now option, but I hesitated, and it was gone this morning. It is probably better if it doesn't have DVR capabilities...one less thing to go wrong, and less likely to be abused by the kids while they are watching recorded movies.

I've just bought this Epson photo Viewer Epson P-5000 (new model), because of aircraft weight allowance on this Xmas Cruise, and not taking the laptop, this Epson product is ideal. You just load your Compact Flash or SD memory cards in the Viewer and the photos are down loaded onto the internal hard drive and backed up.

IMG_1243.jpg

You can also have a second protable hard drive to give a second back up copy from the Epson P-5000. Can also down load music and video (Movies). Personally think it's great.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived