Quad Veranda on Vista class or 2 cabins?

Smartcookie

Hi, we're going to book the Noordam for a 10 day cruise, we are a family of 4, with 2 teenage sons ages 14 and 17, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth an additional $800 to book 2 cabins rather than all of us staying in one cabin.

Has anyone had 4 in a VD category? Do you think it is roomy enough or should we get 2 cabins? Thanks!

Hi, we're going to book the Noordam for a 10 day cruise, we are a family of 4, with 2 teenage sons ages 14 and 17, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth an additional $800 to book 2 cabins rather than all of us staying in one cabin.

Has anyone had 4 in a VD category? Do you think it is roomy enough or should we get 2 cabins? Thanks!

With a few exceptions, all VA through VF are the same size ... and my DW and I felt a bit cramped in our VAs. Remember it's not just people space that you'll need, but also closet space and baggage storage room. Two life jackets take up enough closet space ... two more would be too much for me! With two boys that age, and for 10 days, you'll be far more comfortable with two cabins!! :D

We had a VA aft cabin on the Zuiderdam with 2 people in it. Its comfortable for 2, but with 2 teenagers with you in this type of cabin, it could be a bit tight. While it is dooable for 4, I would highly recommend you book an inside cabin across the hall for the teens. You will have your privacy, plus having 2 bathrooms, I think, is a plus.

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

We had a VA aft cabin on the Zuiderdam with 2 people in it. Its comfortable for 2, but with 2 teenagers with you in this type of cabin, it could be a bit tight. While it is dooable for 4, I would highly recommend you book an inside cabin across the hall for the teens. You will have your privacy, plus having 2 bathrooms, I think, is a plus.

I just stayed in a veranda stateroom with a cabin mate on my Amsterdam cruise. Even with two, it was a bit tight ... and I hear the staterooms on the Vista class ships are even smaller.

While I am sure four in a Veranda stateroom is doable ... you do have a large sofa that opens into an extra bed ... and there might even be one pull-down bed from the ceiling ... four adults (even if two are actually teens) is gonna make for a very, very cramped stateroom. You're also going to be challenged in finding enough space for everyone's clothing for a ten-day cruise with the available closets in that grade of cabin.

Personally, if it were me, I'd bag the balcony, if necessary, and use the extra money for two connecting staterooms ... either inside or outside. An added benefit of doing it that way will be the availability of an extra bathroom ... a great benefit when traveling with two teens ... especially on formal nights when everyone is pushed for time and getting ready for dinner generally takes longer.

But, of course, you have to do what your pocketbook allows ... and you can surely have a great cruise no matter what accommodations you eventually decide on.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

Totally agree with you, Doone. We have had 3 in a VA and even though DD is a little thing, it was tight. The thought of 2 teens sharing the turn down sofa also sounds like it's ripe for crabby kid bickering.

If you can swing it, get them their own cabin, inside across the hall. It will be a better vaca for all.

Archived