Which Ship Next?

Star-Man

Ok, I have been wondering for a while about what ship P&O Australia will aquire next. Personally I think it will be another Carnival Ship such as the Celebration or the Fantasy.

So, what do you all think will be next to replace the Star when it goes to Asia or the Sun after its Brisbane season finishes?

I can't imagine that P&O would be looking to replace the Sun so soon. If they required a larger capacity vessel perhapse in a few years time, they may replace the Sun. I'm sure they will have taken such capacity projections into account.

what ship P&O Australia will aquire next.

Well I'm going to put my head on the chopping block and say that we do not want any other Cruise Lines cast offs.

We have proved that there is demand for year round cruisung out of and around Australia and we deserve our own BRAND NEW fleet.

Two sister ships,like the Sun Class,would be ideal.

Having said that, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of Pacific Dawn,(Regal Princess), as once you have cruised on her, you won't want to go back to the Sun or the Star.

I would like to agree with you on that one. Well about the Australian market deserving brand new ships. But instead of Sun class ships, how about something along the lines of P&O UK's Aurora?

I would feel that sort of ship would suit us better than one like the Pacific Sun. It seems to have everything that we like about the ships we currently have aswell as what we are looking forward to with the Dawn.

I would like to agree with you on that one. Well about the Australian market deserving brand new ships. But instead of Sun class ships, how about something along the lines of P&O UK's Aurora?

I would feel that sort of ship would suit us better than one like the Pacific Sun. It seems to have everything that we like about the ships we currently have aswell as what we are looking forward to with the Dawn.

The "Sun Class" are the ones Princess has,not the Pacific Sun.The Sun Princess is coming down next year instead of Pacific Princess,so you can check it out then.

These 1,950-passenger vessels provide an amazing onboard experience. With more than 400 balcony staterooms.

Dawn Princess

120_dawn.jpg

Sea Princess

120_sea.jpg

Sun Princess

120_sun.jpg

If you want more info check out the Princess web site.

The only problem with building a new ship is the size. Every single cruise line is making their ships larger and better.

We could continue to recieve older ships from the Carnival Family, which over time will end up costing more money due to upgrading and operational costs.

So the question is... what would be too big. I think the type of ships that would be suitable for our market would be a ship similar to the Island Princess.

It has the same passenger capacity as the current Pacific Sun.

253974951sMuVRv_th.jpg

I know she wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea, but it's a start.:)

The "Sun Class" are the ones Princess has,not the Pacific Sun.The Sun Princess is coming down next year instead of Pacific Princess,so you can check it out then.

Sorry, i meant to say the Sun Princess, but i was looking at some stuff on the Pacific sun at the same time and i got confused :o.

Looking back over the stats, something like the Aurora or what you have suggested would be pretty much similar. I just like the styling of the Aurora better.

We need a ship with a full wrap around promenade deck due to our climate cruising the south pacific.Open decks are always better unless you travel on the atlantic where the weather is very rough most of the time.the old Oriana is an example or the Canberra with beautiful open decks.

I agree with Marconi,

I miss a promanade deck........they are fantastic and perfect for our Australian cruises. It is something I really missed going from the Fairstar and Fair Princess to the Sun. I spent hours on the prom. decks especially on a warm balmy night with a beer or two in hand! :p At least the Dawn has a fairly decent deck.

Peter

DEfinately need an allround prom deck. And as much as I would love to have a look on the larger ships such as Voyager, I have no real desire to cruise on one. I like the size of our ships. Not too big & not too small.

Karen

Maybe dreaming a bit here, but how about a couple of modern, new build ships, built to a similar specification to Pacific Sky, best of everything then - good passenger facilities, lots of open desk space, right size for the Australian market.

What's next for P&O Australia largely depends on what happens in the rest of the Carnival fleet. As some people cruelly say, P&O Aust is the last stop before Alang Beach and hopefully the expectations created by ships such as Pacific Dawn and Sun Princess means older (pre 1992) ships are no longer considered acceptable.

The only older ship I had hoped would make its way into the Australian fleet was Artemis (ex Royal Princess). It was launched the same time as Pacific Sky (Fairsky, Sky Priness) but was always a much more admired design. Even now, it would be a more than adequate replacement for a smaller ship like Star.

Assuming DP is a success in Australia, it is likely that the next ships to enter the Australian fleet would be the next size up which would mean either a Sun Class ship from Princess, a Vista class ship from HAL or a Fantasy Class ship from Carnival (ie 75K-90Kt). Either of the first two would be great. A Fantasy class ship would be horrific given they really are just a stretched Holiday (Pacific Sun) class!!!

We are travelling on the Sun Princess to Vanuatu and New Caledonia from Sydney on 28 December 2007.

As it encompasses both my birthday and New Years Eve, we are going to have a ball.

I hope to catch up with some other travellers online before then.

Anyone cruised these Isles that have ideas or suggestions?

.The only older ship I had hoped would make its way into the Australian fleet was Artemis (ex Royal Princess). It was launched the same time as Pacific Sky (Fairsky, Sky Priness) but was always a much more admired design. Even now, it would be a more than adequate replacement for a smaller ship like Star.

Artemis was certainly ahead of its time design wise.

I dont think it will ever come to the Australian fleet however,simply because of the cabin layout.To have as many outside cabins as possible they were made long and narrow.Twin beds are on the side walls , with one becoming a sofa during the day and the other folding into the wall, and if made into a double you have to climb over the bed to get to the balcony.Cabins for 4 would be very tight and they do not not cater to families.

There is probably one thing about the Artemis that doesnt quite apeal to me. That is that the promenade deck is on a deck with cabins. not public rooms. If i was staying in one those those rooms, i would not want to leave the curtain open by accident for fear of someone being able to see in.

• 2 weeks later...

The next ship coming to Australia to join P&Os fleet full time. Two Thoughts

1. Recycle an old Tired Carnival Ship with Half Baked Refurb. The two oldest candidates are Celebration and Fantasy. These can be reconfigured

in the required format quite easily at the Grand Bahama Yard for modest

cost.

2. Bring in a "Newer Vessell" im thinking the old Crown Princess ( Sistership to Regal Princess aka Pacific Dawn ). Crown Princess is currently sailing with AIDA Cruises as Arosa Blue ( A Germany Based Carnival Cruise Operation ) Remember these guys have new buildings on order for delivery in 2008-2009 so a replacement will be on offer. This strategy would also be conditional on Carnival not sending newer older tonnage to service a growing Asian Market ( Lessons are being learned by Carnival via Costa Allegra's current Asian Deployment ) If and Im sure it will be received extremely well Pacific Dawn I wouldnt be surprised to see have an identical running mate in 2008 or 2009. Its strategy worth considering.

Happy Sailing Everyone

Novemberbravo1974

Archived