Steamboats ... a question

DeniceRG

Hi there!

I know this is a bit off topic from River Cruises, but you are so knowledgable, I thought maybe you would have an insight for me, or two. After our river cruise, we are in Vienna for a few days. We were thinking of taking a day trip to Budapest. Saw a tour that did it. Do you know the travel time between Vienna and Budapest? Should we rent a car and do it, rather than take a bus tour? We are both long time travellers, and this would be something we'd both like to do. Neither of us has been to Budapest, and I know it's only a day, but it would give us an overview, and incentive to go back and spend more time there!

Thanks for any and all input! (from you, or anyone who has done this, has an opinion, etc.)

Denice

Hi Denice,

We made a bus tour as we got stranded in Vienna. The busses departed at 7:30 am and we arrived at our hotel in Budapest at 1 pm. We made two restroom stops (one at the border and one at a interstate restaurant). The worst part was Budapest itself. The whole city was one traffic jam. If the traffic is going they are really driving like crazy. I´m used to Italian traffic (Rome and Naples) but this was even worse. Or as our guides said "somewhere it´s always some green light" meaning that a red traffic light doesn´t mean that traffic will stop.

You might be faster with a rental car and have more time in Budapest. But if you´re not used to that kind of traffic (only in Budapest, it´s o.k. on the interstates) it might be safer to go by bus. Have you ever traveled by car in Europe? If not take the bus tour! Orientation can be quite difficult as streets are not paralleling like in the US (and are not numbered). You might spend half of your time searching for the way to downtown and a parking lot.

Check http://www.budapestinfo.hu/ and order a free brochure and map. The public transportation system (oldest subway in the world) is easy to use and ticket machines do have an English language option. But you need Forint for the ticket machines (see http://www.bkv.hu/ ). The main downtown area can be easily walked.

steamboats

We are planning to go from Vienna to Budapest after our cruise ends in Vienna..but were thinking we could take a train? I understood that we would not need to "pre-book" and that the trip was not that long? Should I re-think this form of travel? Do NOT want to drive..and we are staying in Budapest for several days so can't do a "tour bus"...thanks for any help!! LuAnn

LuAnn,

No problem! Connections between Vienna and Budapest are quite frequent. Sometimes you have to change the train but there are also direct connections. It´s about 3 hours. Check with

http://www.oebb.at/

There´s an English language option at the top of the site.

No, you don´t have to make reservations. Usually you should find a seat. Just go to the train station and buy a ticket. You can also buy a ticket online in advance and make a seat reservation.

steamboats

Archived