Embarcation screening for CARRY_ON luggage

vgottlieb

Since the question is really about wine and corkage fees, you might want to scroll down through some active messages all about this. And if you don't find it covered enough there, a search of wine or corkage will give you a few hundred opinons.

Basically if you get caught with wine and want to bring it on, you are charged $15 per bottle of wine and/or champagne. If you decide not to bring it on, they will hold it till the end of the cruise. They will not allow you to bring on any hard liquors if caught.

Keep in mind you can purchase the Bon Voyage Fruit and WIne basket for $20, 2 weeks prior to cruise. You choose red or white wine.

I have decided to do that vs bringing any wine on. I had thought about bringing Black Box Merlot and Chardonay and paying the $15 fee, but it just seems like a hassle to pack it, even though that would be much cheaper. This way I can take the bottle to the resteraunts...I'm not going to haul a box around. I did think about bringing a bottle that NCL doesn't have, but the chances somewhere it will break, with my luck.

Isn't this deja vu all over again, as Yogi would say? Didn't the OP start a thread about this just a couple days ago? I know there's no rule against repetitiveness, but what was wrong with the answers in the first thread?

Isn't this deja vu all over again, as Yogi would say?

That other thread is so crowded that no one goes there anymore! ;)

To the OP-the way I've always seen it---there has been a table set up where you could pay the fee, they would then put a sticker on your bottle and then you're good to go. BUT-I like the suggestion that Patches123 made (and I don't see why you couldn't order more than 1 basket if need be)

-Monte

We just took the 8 day Mexican Riviera on 10/29 and took 3 boxes of wine, one bottle of vodka and bloody mary mix packed in our suitcase. We did wrap the wine like presents, don't know if that fooled anyone or not.:p We also carried on some more liquor after we were in Mexico. We had no problem at all. We would fill our glasses up before our meal and take with us. We just walked to the bar and asked for some wine glasses and they gave them to us.:D

Basically if you get caught with wine and want to bring it on, you are charged $15 per bottle of wine and/or champagne. If you decide not to bring it on, they will hold it till the end of the cruise. They will not allow you to bring on any hard liquors if caught.

Keep in mind you can purchase the Bon Voyage Fruit and WIne basket for $20, 2 weeks prior to cruise. You choose red or white wine.

I have decided to do that vs bringing any wine on. I had thought about bringing Black Box Merlot and Chardonay and paying the $15 fee, but it just seems like a hassle to pack it, even though that would be much cheaper. This way I can take the bottle to the resteraunts...I'm not going to haul a box around. I did think about bringing a bottle that NCL doesn't have, but the chances somewhere it will break, with my luck.

I agree with you, that basket sounds like a deal for $20. I wonder if they would let me bring on a bottle of Mudslide mix and my smoothie maker......

We just took the 8 day Mexican Riviera on 10/29 and took 3 boxes of wine, one bottle of vodka and bloody mary mix packed in our suitcase. We did wrap the wine like presents, don't know if that fooled anyone or not. We also carried on some more liquor after we were in Mexico. We had no problem at all. We would fill our glasses up before our meal and take with us. We just walked to the bar and asked for some wine glasses and they gave them to us.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

coming back on the ship at any of our alaska ports, i saw all type of boxes and bags from the local stores. all had tags on them. some were going to be x-rayed and MAYBE returned to the buyer. others were tagged to be held and returned at the end of the cruise. some were gift wrapped, some were well boxed. either way, if they couldn't open it..they x-rayed it.

...If you can afford the trip, buy the wine.

Why do people say this or some version of "since you can afford the trip, what is a little extra for wine onboard..."?

Money is money.

Maybe people spent all their money on the cruise and can not afford $7 a glass onboard.

Maybe the reason they can afford to cruise is they watch what they spend and think $7 a glass to have a pre dinner drink in their cabin is foolish or a big hassle.

I still don't get it. Why can't people just follow the rules. Why do people think rules are for everybody else and not for me??? This is becoming a major problem in our society!

The rule is, if you want to bring wine on board, pay a $15 corkage fee and enjoy! If you are too cheap to pay the fee, then don't bring it on. I put liars and sneaky people in the criminal catagory where they belong.

I think I tend to follow the rules and not be a burden on society or in a group.

I really do not see this so much as breaking the rules. If somebody would like a before dinner glass of wine in their cabin without paying $7 a glass or dealing with room service hassles, gee whiz... Or maybe a last minute night cap on the balcony.

And if these same people then go to dinner and spend $30+ for a bottle of wine, it seems that everyone should be happy. Or stop at a bar and pay $7 for a glass of wine.

Gee wiz.....

I agree with you, that basket sounds like a deal for $20. I wonder if they would let me bring on a bottle of Mudslide mix and my smoothie maker......

Your smoothie maker will probably kill the power on the floor, lol...But it is a good idea, I love mudslides, Cathi

• 3 months later...

Archived