Carnival essay contest winner

serenity now

I just got a call from carnival saying that I am the grand prize winner of the essay contest:D . Just wondering if I was the only one who got this call or if someone might be running some kind of scam, because I really can't believe that my essay was good enough to win the entire contest. It sounded official, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had been told they had won.

Congradulations!!! I know how you feel. I got home from work one night and my husband told me that someone called about a duck race. Well if you don't know what a duck race is, it is where you purchase a duck (not really you just get one to race for you) for $5.00 from the local ROTARY club and it benefits the community. This particular one had several prizes and I figured I won a dinner for two or something but NO I won a certificate for $10000.00 to purchase a car from a local car dealer!!!! :DI couldn't believe it I thought someone was playing a joke on me, but it was true wahoooo!!! my car was a 90 Pontiac sunbird with over 100,000.00 miles and I was working and going to school fulltime. Now I drive a new RAV4 and love it. What a blessing that was. (although now I have a car payment and had to pay taxes but thats ok)

Enjoy your cruise.

Linda

I just got a call from carnival saying that I am the grand prize winner of the essay contest:D . Just wondering if I was the only one who got this call or if someone might be running some kind of scam, because I really can't believe that my essay was good enough to win the entire contest. It sounded official, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had been told they had won.

I'd love to read your essay! Unless Carnival now owns it or something, please share!

Congrats...hope Carnival publishes it in the Currents. IMO, I would not publish it on here until you know it is ok with Carnival. It probably would not be a big deal, but I wouldn't want you to inadvertantly do anything that could affect your winning. And the essay is probably now "property of Carnival".

Have a great cruise!!

Whatever you do, don't post it here until you get an okay from Carnival. If you read the fine print, Carnival now owns that essay... You don't want to risk forfeiting your prize.

I am glad a CC'er won... I loved my essay, but really... if you don't know our group, nobody would have understood it... I did it more for fun than anything else. I never could have narrowed down a list of people to bring!!! I had it narrowed down to 42 :p LOL!!!!

Congrats!! What did you win?? Also, do you enter those things on their website?? Thanks!!

A cruise with friends. There is a limit on friends, and 6 staterooms... there was alot of fine print... but it's still a cruise, I believe you still had to pay taxes?? I can't remember, it's been ages... but still, it was a decent prize!

A cruise with friends. There is a limit on friends, and 6 staterooms... there was alot of fine print... but it's still a cruise, I believe you still had to pay taxes?? I can't remember, it's been ages... but still, it was a decent prize!

You are right. It was a cruise for a total of 20 people (you and 19 other folks) to fill 5 6A cabins for a maximum value of $15,000.00.

Yes, the winner does still have to pay the taxes (based on your income tax bracket). If you are in the 15% tax bracket, it wouldn't have been a bad deal. However, in our case it would have come to almost $4,200.00 (or more if it caused the alternate tax rate to kick in) in taxes because it is simply added on to your regular income come tax time. Still an ok deal ...but certainly not free.

sorry, i've been too busy to keep up with the posts, but I do think I'll wait and let Carnival post the essay when they get ready. thanks for all your warm wishes. Apperently i really did win the prize and like some of you have noted I do have to pay taxes and it would bump us up to the next tax brackett if we took $15,000 so we probably won't take the entire prize, hopefully they'll allow us to just take a portion of the prize. thanks a lot again to all that showed support!

Archived