Legendary Danube or Blue Danube Discovery

dcl

I believe, we have decided to go with Amadeus Waterways.

(Looked at Amadeus, Avalon, Viking - Sea Cloud & Peter Deilmann a little out of our price range - But I'm sure worth it.)

- Now I need to decide which direction (up or down river) ?

- These hit a few different towns, any particular towns better to visit ?

- Any particular day better to hit a town (weekday vs weekend, etc.) ?

I sort of liked that the Blue Danube Discovery lets you spend a few more days in Budapest and Prague, but are these towns that interesting to fill the extra days ?

- When is the best time to go Spring or Fall ?

Amadeus Waterways - 2007 Legendary Danube Cruise

ITINERARY

Day 1 Prague, Czech Repulic

Day 2 Prague

Day 3 Prague

Day 4 Prague-Karlsbad - Nuremberg, Germany

Day 5 Nuremberg - Crossing the Continental Divide - Reidenburg

Day 6 Regensburg

Day 7 Passau / Linz, Austria

Day 8 Melk / Vienna

Day 9 Vienna

Day 10 Budapest, Hungary

Day 11 Depart BudapestC

Amadeus Waterways - 2007 Blue Danube Discovery Cruise

ITINERARY

Day 1 Budapest, Hungary - (Fri)

Day 2 Budapest - (Sat)

Day 3 Budapest - (Sun)

Day 4 Bratislava, Slovakia - Vienna , Austria (Mon)

Day 5 Vienna, Austria - (Tue)

Day 6 Dürnstein - Melk - (Wed)

Day 7 Linz - Passau, Germany - (Thu)

Day 8 Regensburg - (Fri)

Day 9 Nuremberg - (Sat)

Day 10 Nuremberg - Karlovyvary , Czech Republic - Prague (Sun)

Day 11 Prague - (Mon)

Day 12 Prague - (Tue)

Day 13 Depart Prague (Wed)

We also chose Amadeus after doing a lot of reaserch and also the advice from the boards. We are touring the Legendary Danube May 30-June 10 we are hoping the weather is good. My son just returned from the Prague, Budapest region and knowing his parents he thought we would enjoy Prague better than Budapest. We have booked the brand new ship the Amalegro. Good Luck...Ann:)

The cruises sound wonderful. My only thought go from Budapest to Prague. The weather goes from west to east, so sailing east to west you would go thru it instead of it accompanying you on the trip. Both cities can keep you busy. In Budapest there is the central market very nar the boat landing. We brought home a pasta that looks like a minature croissant. You can also get paprika, table linens and wooden toys there. It is a great city for walking. Have not been to Prague yet. Search this site---there is avery comprehensive report about the city.

Travel safely. ENJOY Pat

There's no doubt in my mind, having recently returned from Avalon's Danube cruise on the Artistry (see my report on this board). Prague was beautiful, clean, captivating, vibrant, culturally rich and filled with excitement. While Budapest is also very interesting, it seemed dreary to me, with lots of grafitti and run down looking buildings. I would choose Prague as my extended stay. You won't be disappointed. Be sure to explore the area along the banks of the Vlatava River, under the Charles Bridge (take the stairs down from the bridge). This area is often missed and has some really lovely spots, including a beautiful park and wonderful cafes.

Enjoy.

Did Budpest to Prague last May on Amadeus. The way I see it. You can't go wrong either way. It is a great trip. We did Budapest and Prague on our own, but used the Amadeuses bus to get to Prague for $70. Amadeus charges way too much for the two cities. You can do it on your own for half the price and see twice as much, but don't go without Rick Steves guide to Eastern Europe.

I believe, we have decided to go with Amadeus Waterways.

(Looked at Amadeus, Avalon, Viking - Sea Cloud & Peter Deilmann a little out of our price range - But I'm sure worth it.)

- Now I need to decide which direction (up or down river) ?

- These hit a few different towns, any particular towns better to visit ?

- Any particular day better to hit a town (weekday vs weekend, etc.) ?

I sort of liked that the Blue Danube Discovery lets you spend a few more days in Budapest and Prague, but are these towns that interesting to fill the extra days ?

- When is the best time to go Spring or Fall ?

Amadeus Waterways - 2007 Legendary Danube Cruise

ITINERARY

Day 1 Prague, Czech Repulic

Day 2 Prague

Day 3 Prague

Day 4 Prague-Karlsbad - Nuremberg, Germany

Day 5 Nuremberg - Crossing the Continental Divide - Reidenburg

Day 6 Regensburg

Day 7 Passau / Linz, Austria

Day 8 Melk / Vienna

Day 9 Vienna

Day 10 Budapest, Hungary

Day 11 Depart BudapestC

Amadeus Waterways - 2007 Blue Danube Discovery Cruise

ITINERARY

Day 1 Budapest, Hungary - (Fri)

Day 2 Budapest - (Sat)

Day 3 Budapest - (Sun)

Day 4 Bratislava, Slovakia - Vienna , Austria (Mon)

Day 5 Vienna, Austria - (Tue)

Day 6 Dürnstein - Melk - (Wed)

Day 7 Linz - Passau, Germany - (Thu)

Day 8 Regensburg - (Fri)

Day 9 Nuremberg - (Sat)

Day 10 Nuremberg - Karlovyvary , Czech Republic - Prague (Sun)

Day 11 Prague - (Mon)

Day 12 Prague - (Tue)

Day 13 Depart Prague (Wed)

I like the Blue Danube Discovery Cruise. But then I loved Budapest. I went in 2001 for 10 days and went back 2005 for 10 days. I saw a lot more of Hungary than just Budapest, but I really enjoyed it. Vienna is nice too, and once in the ring (downtown) easily walked. Durnstein/Melk is absolutely lovely little town and beautiful abbey. I think Spring is nicer. I went in October the first time, May/June the second time. It was really cold in October. May/June was the hottest on those days since they have been recording temps. You just never know what the weather will be. Weekend will be less crowded, but you take a chance things will be closed. I'd prefer a weekday for most of the towns. You will have a wonderful time on either cruise. Enjoy.:D

We took the Blue Danube Discovery this June. We had never been to Budapest or Prague and we are glad we got to see both cities. Both cities have their own charms. Prague was very crowded in June. You will love the scenery along the Danube.

Some have said that Budapest is dark and dingy but I found it to be alot of fun and interesting. We walked for two days all over town. We walked across the Chain Bridge twice and all the way down to the Margaret Bridge, inback of the Parliament building and then back to the hotel at 11 p.m. We found some very good restaurants and went to the market. One thing that I found interesting was the Conservatory of Music. You could hear them practicing the piano standing outdoors. Music everyplace! Lots of folk shows but we did not get to any but I am sure someone could help you with that if you go to Budapest.

What ever you do you will have a great time. :) Wish we were going back.

Archived