Immigration and Customs for Alaskan Cruise Embarking in Canada?

gkrebs

Another thread has given rise to this question and the answer is for my future knowledge

When you board a ship in Canada, and your first stop is back in a US port, where is Immigration and then Customs done?

How does this work?

When we boarded the Serenade in Vancouver last May, the customs and immigration were done at the time of boarding. It seemed to go very quickly.

There was a delay, however, in the arrival at Skagway because four of the crew did not immediately clear immigration. Many of the excursions were held up for about an hour while the issue with them was cleared up. There did not seem to be a problem with any of the passengers clearing.

^ Yes, I concur. We did this also when departing Vancouver for our Alaskan cruise. Although you are still in Canada, it's a heck of a lot easier to clear all the passengers right at the Port of Vancouver as you board the ship. It's the same principal as several Canadian cities that have U.S. Customs and Immigration in the airports.

Super, I thought that was the case and I have done that also at the Canadian airports, but didn't want to say it was so till I heard from others and get flamed if I said something wrong. Ill also assume that you didn't do it when you returned to Vancouver, but had to do it again when you flew/drove back to the US

Archived