Speicalty Restaurants on NCL Sun

lhaddon

I've been reading some of the other posts on this board and others were discussing the NCL Dawn. Someone asked about the specialy restaurants on the Dawn. Another person replied that some of the specialty restaurants had charges and others did not.

Is this also true for the Sun? If so, which specialty restaurants on the Sun are free? We have a large group (12) and are going to be making reservations in the dining room for the same time each night so it would be great to find out if we could reserve a table at one of the specialty restaurants also and no extra charge. (By the way, we are cruising out of NOLA on 11/26/06).

Thanks!

Lora

I've been reading some of the other posts on this board and others were discussing the NCL Dawn. Someone asked about the specialy restaurants on the Dawn. Another person replied that some of the specialty restaurants had charges and others did not.

Is this also true for the Sun? If so, which specialty restaurants on the Sun are free? We have a large group (12) and are going to be making reservations in the dining room for the same time each night so it would be great to find out if we could reserve a table at one of the specialty restaurants also and no extra charge. (By the way, we are cruising out of NOLA on 11/26/06).

Thanks!

Lora

someone else will probably give you the exact answer, but from what I can remember here is what was offered in April:

Of course the main dining rooms and the buffet were no charge

The sports bar offeres sandwhiches and snacks, like Fish and Chips from about 7pm on: no charge

Pacific heights; the healthy choice dining: no charge

Las Rambles: tapas, which can almost make a meal or can: no charge

East meets West: steak house: $20 or $25 if you order the 24 oz rib eye or Lobster

Le Bistro: 15.00 or $20 if you order the specialty

The japanesse dining Habachi table: for 12.50 to $18 depending on what you order.

The Italian dining room: $12.50 I think, am not certain about that.

Nita

The Italian dining room: $12.50 I think, am not certain about that.

Nita

The Italian specialty restaurant is usually non-surcharge. On the Sun, I believe it's Il Adagio (vs. La Trattoria on most of NCL's ships). Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Italian specialty restaurant is usually non-surcharge. On the Sun, I believe it's Il Adagio (vs. La Trattoria on most of NCL's ships). Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi John, 1/2 right; the name is Il Adagio but there is a surcharge. the rest of the ships the Italian restaurant is non charge, why this is different on the Sun I don't know. The old Sky also charged. NMnita

Hi John, 1/2 right; the name is Il Adagio but there is a surcharge. the rest of the ships the Italian restaurant is non charge, why this is different on the Sun I don't know. The old Sky also charged. NMnita

The reason has to do with the ambiance of the restaurant. The Il Adagio is decorated fancier like all main restaurants or surcharged speciality restaurants, not a checkered Italian colored tablecloth over a cafeteria table you see in a La Trattoria, in a section of the buffet.

They also have different menus. The La Trattoria is mostly pasta dishes, where as in the Il Adiago you'll see up scale menus. They aren't anywhere near the same experience.

By the way, the ex-Sky, now the Pride of aloha, calls this restaurant the

Kahili Restaurant. The decor is European in style; the cuisine is Mediterranean-inspired Kahili Restaurant but the views are 100% Hawaiian with every table offering an ocean view.

Here's an old Kahili 2004 era menu.

Mon_Kah_Menu.jpg

Here's an old 2004 La Trattoria menu

trattoria2.jpg

Il Adagio is BY FAR the best dining experience available on the Sun and well, well worth the $12.50. We still recall our meal there fondly more than a year later! Go on 1/2 price night (if they have one on your sailing) and you will feel like you've gotten an early Christmas present!:)

Are reservations necessary for the dining rooms with no surcharge?

Yes, and No. Here's an old list of all the restaurants aboard the Sun:

Four Seasons Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Seven Seas Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Pacific Heights

Cuisine: Light/Healthy Cuisine

Reservations Required: Yes

East Meets West

Cuisine: Steaks

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Ginza Restaurant

Cuisine: Asian (Sushi, Sashimi, Teppanyaki)

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 per person

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Las Ramblas Tapas Bar & Restaurant

Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex Tapas Bar

Garden Café/Great Outdoor

Cuisine: Informal Indoor and Outdoor Dining. Breakfast, Lunch, and Snacks

Il Adagio

Cuisine: Italian/Mediterranean

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 per person

Note: Surcharge fees may vary from the time when this list was made.

I just came off of the Sun 11/5 cruise. BOOK YOUR SPECIALTY RESTURANTS WHEN YOU BOARD IF POSSIBLE. I COULD NOT GET A SPECIALTY RESTURANT RESERVATION AT ANY RESTURANT AFTER TUESDAY FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK. My wife and I passed by the East Meets West numerous times from Wednesday to Saturday night, the resturant was about 1/3 full, but we were turned away without reservations, they said they were completely full, when I asked why there where only about 1/3 of the tables filled they said they had reservations and we could not be seated. We passed an hour later and the same situation was evident. So, if you want the specialty resturants please book them for the nights you want when you board the ship. Do not count on cancellations, the girl at the podium says thare are never any.

• 4 weeks later...
Il Adagio is BY FAR the best dining experience available on the Sun and well, well worth the $12.50. We still recall our meal there fondly more than a year later! Go on 1/2 price night (if they have one on your sailing) and you will feel like you've gotten an early Christmas present!:)

On our sailing the specialty restaurants were half-price if you booked the 5:30 or 6pm seatings. We had a fabulous meal in Il Adagio - these pics are worth thousands of words!

317619463_2335920cba_o.jpg

On our sailing the specialty restaurants were half-price if you booked the 5:30 or 6pm seatings. We had a fabulous meal in Il Adagio - these pics are worth thousands of words!

317619463_2335920cba_o.jpg

Was not planning on going there as the menu in the Main restaurants sounds great,but after your pictures, Now I have to determine what night I will go. I thought East Meets West on Thursday. I just wanna go everywhere. Le Bistro,Il Adagio,I'm not a fancy eating type person,but I do love good food. Somebody help me.

On our sailing the specialty restaurants were half-price if you booked the 5:30 or 6pm seatings.
And it was the same on the 3 December sailing - but only for East Meets West, Le Bistro and Il Adagio.

The prices are also now different from those in electricron's list. East Meets West and Teppanyaki are now $20 per person.

We went to East Meets West & food/service was fantastic. One of the best steaks we've had & cooked perfectly. Enjoyed the Sun so much we're going again in Feb. & hope to try some of the other restaurants.

We loved the Italian Il Adiago - great price for fantastic food!! My only problem was deciding what to have. Le Bistro - go for the creme brulle - that was to die for.

Quite a few posters are saying that they couldn't get in, or couldn't get reservations. We never experienced the problem - perhaps the empty seats were reserved and the reservers didn't show up or bother to cancel when something else came up??

The only problem we experienced was the ship photographers interrupting us during our dinner and not taking "No" for an answer. I always try to be as polite and firm as possible. But this guy just wasn't taking no thank you - made my hubby move to stand behind the my chair - which he did - cause he was too polite to make the guy take a hike and not wanting to make a scene in the restaurant. And no, we didn't buy any pictures after that. :p

We loved the Sun - great crew, great fun, great everything. Have fun!!

Sorry can't seem to change the spelling on speciality - the grammer fairy is going to get me good.

M

The only problem we experienced was the ship photographers interrupting us during our dinner and not taking "No" for an answer. I always try to be as polite and firm as possible. But this guy just wasn't taking no thank you - made my hubby move to stand behind the my chair - which he did - cause he was too polite to make the guy take a hike and not wanting to make a scene in the restaurant. And no, we didn't buy any pictures after that. :p

M

This too was a real complaint of mine on the Dawn this year. The photographers were always interrupting you and wanting you to move. I just looked at the fool and said, if you want to waste your film, then take it where I am and without me posing. On all of my NCL cruises, the photo crew on the Dawn this past summer was the absolute most rudest, clueless and greedy bunch I ever had experienced. They also did not let more than one person be in a disembark photo in port. I never had that problem before. It was sad because on all the other NCL cruises, we have great disembarkation photos of our whole family in the ports. We weren't "allowed" to have those on the Dawn and so we bought none.

On all of my NCL cruises, the photo crew on the Dawn this past summer was the absolute most rudest, clueless and greedy bunch I ever had experienced. They also did not let more than one person be in a disembark photo in port. I never had that problem before. It was sad because on all the other NCL cruises, we have great disembarkation photos of our whole family in the ports. We weren't "allowed" to have those on the Dawn and so we bought none.
I also don't understand rude photo staff. I think that the simple answer is probably that some are better managed than others. The good groups understand that happy campers make good photo subjects, and that good photo subjects are more likely to want to buy the results.

On the Sun the week before last, some of the photo staff were good, friendly people to whom one could relate. The upshot was that we actually spent rather more on photos than we'd planned to, largely because the results were actually worth having. It says something for them that we all liked the embarkation photo, over which we spent some time with the photographer. It then needed a bit of cropping to hide our flabby bits, but the photo manager was happy to try that for us - and when it worked, she sold four copies at once.

We were on the Sun last week and took advantage of the 2-for-1 cover charge for the 5:30 and 6:00PM reservation times at East Meets West Steakhouse. The steak was very good and certainly worth the $20 for two of us. We also ate extensively at Pacific Heights (the healthy dining), not necessarily because the food was fantastic, but because of the excellent service and quieter atmosphere. It didn't seem to be very popular with most of the passengers, which was just fine with us. Also, there is only one menu for the entire week, so you're limited to about 8 entrees total.

Archived