Do you think the $30 charge per person is worth it?

crazy4cruisn

Do you think the $30 per person is worth the special dining room?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the $30 per person is worth the special dining room?

Although I can imagine circumstances where I could be persuaded to shell out that kind of money, they are few and far between---like a 50th wedding anniversary. :) Or a 100th birthday party. (You know HAL's demographic and all. ;) )

I've enjoyed the Pinnacle, but I'm perfectly happy in the dining room.

My wife and I went along with our son. We all had the fee paid as a gift from our travel agents. The experience was a pleasant one but not worth it if I had paid the $30 out of my own pocket. When it was a $10 fee, it made sense to try it but the regular dining room is so good, I can't see paying $60 plus a tip per couple for a marginally better meal.

At least from our experience on the Zuiderdam a few years ago. It is a special experience. Very private, very quiet. Especially good for those at a large table that would like to get away and have a table for two. Regardless of ship, if offered, we go for the extra dining option and try it for a night (cheaper than most shore excursions). We like to try different things and stir things up a bit. $60 for two is a drop in the bucket when compared to what you spend on a HAL cruise (or what you pay to go out for a nice dinner on dry land). I would recommend it. Our MO is to snag a view of all the dinner menus the first day of the cruise (do it when confirming your table placement). There are always menus that are better than others. We always find that there is a menu "Caribbean Night" - whatever you call it that is just not to our liking. So we view the menus, pick our least favorite and book the up-charge dining room for that night.

Voted no - it is just not worth $30 per person charge - that's $60 per couple. Then add on the extra tip of at least $20. Now you are talking about $80 extra for a wonderful meal. But eating in the dining room where the food is great doesn't cost anymore. We will only do the Pinnacle if it's a gift.

We voted No. We enjoy the meals in the diningroom. We rarely visited the Marco Polo room when it was free so why would we pay $30 now. If we wanted to get away from the large table we would have asked for a smaller one or eat in a corner of the Lido. Take care.

Because the Pinnacle "experience" seems to be a random experience from ship to ship, I'd say some have definitely been worth the extra $$, others not.

The wait staff and the seating can make all the difference. On a recent Westerdam cruise, the seating arrangement was absolutely not worth the charge nor was the service.

We did express our displeaure to the guest services manager and since we were doing B2B's the next week was significantly better - but one shouldn't have to complain to get decent service!!:rolleyes:

The Westerdam was the first ship on which we've experienced the "sloppy" service and even the availablilty of the lousy seating, The smaller ships seem to do it better (Veendam, Rotterdam, Prinsendam). We were on the Noordam in May doing B2Bs, but the itinerary was so port intensive that we didn't "do" the Pinnacle.

:( I have always enjoyed the Pinn room. First night was only $10 and another night was $20. I know the dining room is free but the food isn't nearly as good. So, this will be my last time in the pinn room because they can't justify $30 more on top of what we pay for the freebie in the dining room. I had already paid $40 for two nights before the change.. I think they will find they jumped a little too much this time. Greed gets them nothing. :rolleyes:

Unless you are completely strapped for cash, what is another $80 (with tip) for a special dinner? Give me a break. I don't mean to offend. Maybe others have had bad dinners in the specialty dining room. The main dining room is fine; yes. Far from superior. Maybe I'm the spoiled one. We eat great at home; fine cuts of meats - plus the wife is an outstanding cook. When we go on a cruise, it's nice to eat in the formal dining room. I have never understood those who choose the buffet. Still, the meal is average on most lines (HAL included). To me, it's nice to get served and not to have to do the dishes. Cruiseline fare - in general - doesn't touch on what I get at home on a nightly basis; save the additional courses. Going to the Pin to me (or other related on other ships) is fine dining. It is worth every penny. Heck, a simple massage in the spa will run you almost as much as a dinner for two in the Pin. I think people are missing something or getting way too cheap. Or they have bad cooks at home. Oh man am I stirring the pot tonight :D

My wife and I went along with our son. We all had the fee paid as a gift from our travel agents. The experience was a pleasant one but not worth it if I had paid the $30 out of my own pocket. When it was a $10 fee, it made sense to try it but the regular dining room is so good, I can't see paying $60 plus a tip per couple for a marginally better meal.

I think there's some method to HAL's madness in raising the fee from $20 to $30. I don't think HAL expects many people to book the Pinnacle on their own anymore. What they do expect, however, is the restaurant to be pretty full each night with people whose TA's have given them a "Pinnacle Grill Experience" voucher as part of their bennie package for booking with that TA. I think pretty much all TA's will have these vouchers to offer ... so pretty much everyone on each sailing will have one night at the Pinnacle free of charge (with the exception of tip). That's how HAL will keep the restaurant full each night ... and with all the free vouchers being given away, I think raising the price was an effort to discourage individuals from making reservations on their own. After all, the Pinnacle can only handle so many people each night, and with just about everyone on the ship having a voucher, the Pinnacle will be operating at pretty much capacity on most sailings.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I voted No as well. Don't think it is worth it. Have tried the Pinnacle before but courtesy of our TA. Our entire party - 6 - agreed that no one would have paid for this meal (and that was when it was $20/pp). I can't see paying $30/pp. I have heard they are upgrading their menu somewhat - which is good, because we thought it was rather limited.

I don't think we are necessarily being cheap - but rather thinking of it as a more value comparison. The additional charge just didn't equate to value for us. Would rather take that money and use towards shore excursion or a meal in port, etc.

Unless you are completely strapped for cash, what is another $80 (with tip) for a special dinner? Give me a break.

True, the Pinnacle is not that expensive at $30 per person plus tip ... IF you were dining there on land. Don't forget, on the ship you've already paid for a meal each night in the dining room, including tip. So, the actual cost of your Pinnacle dinner has now gone up substantially from $30 to what? $50 or so, plus tip.

I don't know what you are used to spending for a dinner out, but I eat out quite a bit ... and I know that it is only on a rare special occasion that I will spend $50 per person, exclusive of liquor, for a dinner in a restaurant. I can get a perfectly good meal at several places in my neck of the woods for less than $25 per person ... and even some "family style" restaurants for about $15 per person. So, a restaurant would have to be offering me something pretty special to motivate me to spend anything in the neighborhood of $50 per person.

Of course, I am sure there are some people ... such as yourself ... who may be able to afford that kind of money on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. I'd prefer to dine in less fancy surroundings and use the money saved for other pleasures ... such as taking more cruises. For this reason, I will no longer be dining at the Pinnacle when on a HAL ship ... unless, of course, my TA gives me a free voucher.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

I voted yes. My only experience was on my May Alaskan cruise on the Westerdam. It was a lovely dinner experience with lots of extra pampering and attention to detail that I fully expected. We enjoy fine dinning here at home as well. Yes we can eat out for under 30 each, but it's not an elegant place, only commonplace. The fare in the dinningroom was adequate at best, I'd have to agree with E19.

I voted no. When we spent that much money at home on meals, we are always able to bring home the leftovers and make another out of them.

We always have leftover food as we aren't able to eat everything at the Pinnacle.

And I have no intention of asking for a doggy bag like one woman we saw on one of our cruises.

I think pretty much all TA's will have these vouchers to offer ... so pretty much everyone on each sailing will have one night at the Pinnacle free of charge (with the exception of tip). That's how HAL will keep the restaurant full each night ... and with all the free vouchers being given away, I

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita,

I wonder how 'free' those vouchers are? After all, the TA must pay HAL for the passenger they give the voucher to. I don't think it is the full amount ie $30 less a discount. But at the end of the day it is still the passenger who is paying.... might not be upfront but they are still paying.

$30 is 5% of a $600 fare. That is a fairly large chunk out of a TA's commission.

Stephen

Is $75,000.00 too much to pay for a Mercedes

How about $8,000.00 to fly first class to Europe on BA

Any thoughts on a Rolex for $5,000.00

Would you pay $3,500.00 for a custom made suit vs. buying off the rack

What about jewelry: $50,000.00 too expensive for a clear cut emerald diamond vs. the "machine made gem"

Anyone willing to go $995,000.00 for a house

Is a suite on the World Cruise really worth more than $100,000.00 per person or $200,000.00 + per couple for 109 days

why buy an original oil if you can find the same in a print

IMHO it's not about the price as much as it is about the choice

Go or don't go to Pinnacle

buy the $10,000.00 car not the Mercedes

don't fly first class; opt for coach

why spend all that money for a Suite when the person staying in the inside cabin eats in the same dining room and drinks at the same lounge:eek:

what is important for one person is trivia to another

each person makes his/her own selection

that's why it's called choice:)

On the Zuiderdam earlier this month we ate in the Pinnacle (compliments of TA).... we have had better service at a local cafe... we would finish a course and dirty plates sat in front us for 20 minutes....crumbs were never swept, chairs were not pulled back, napkins not put in our laps... water not refilled or bread or butter ... the only outstanding person was the wine steward .... The assigned waiters to our table were too busy giving EXCELLENT service to another table, officers and staff from the ship!.....This was our experience, I know not the same as everyone else, but it was enough to say that we would NEVER pay to eat there again, We would probably try it again if we got another gift, but that would be the only way.... we would not shell out $30.00 each for a hit or miss......On the other hand we had FANTASTIC 5 STAR service in the main dining room and food was almost as good so why would we bother? sincerely.... Dan

Is $75,000.00 too much to pay for a Mercedes

How about $8,000.00 to fly first class to Europe on BA

Any thoughts on a Rolex for $5,000.00

Would you pay $3,500.00 for a custom made suit vs. buying off the rack

What about jewelry: $50,000.00 too expensive for a clear cut emerald diamond vs. the "machine made gem"

Anyone willing to go $995,000.00 for a house

Is a suite on the World Cruise really worth more than $100,000.00 per person or $200,000.00 + per couple for 109 days

why buy an original oil if you can find the same in a print

IMHO it's not about the price as much as it is about the choice

Go or don't go to Pinnacle

buy the $10,000.00 car not the Mercedes

don't fly first class; opt for coach

why spend all that money for a Suite when the person staying in the inside cabin eats in the same dining room and drinks at the same lounge:eek:

what is important for one person is trivia to another

each person makes his/her own selection

that's why it's called choice:)

Ah you touch on a very very good point!!!

Value ........Are you getting something of value for the extra money?

All those luxory things you mention in your post are superior , in some case very rare or one of a kind things , and with them come the big price tag.

When you are buying the Mercedes, the Picasso, the rare Jewel, you are paying for and expecting the best. You get what you pay for.

I have yet to sail HAL so obviously have not dined in a Pinnacle, but from many posts here , not just on this thread, but many others. The Pinnacle does not sem to be offering the quality and value they are expecting you to pay for.

We have all read countless posts on so so to bad meals and service in Pinnacle , while at the same time hearing about very good and excellent food and service in the main dining room. So what is my incentive to spend the extra $30 when I can be getting just as good if not better in a dining venue I have already paid for with my fair.

When I am in the market for a quality object, car ,jewelry, whatever, I know it is going to cost me big and I know I can't do it on the cheap. I know I can't get the expensive diamond at Kays jewelers in the mall. I know I can't get the Picasso at Prints Plus. I know I can't get a $4000 Armani suit off the rack at Burlington Coat Factory.

If the Pinnacle was offering something really special that the dining room couldn't even come close to, then yes the $30 woul be worth. Like I said I cannot comment from personal experience, but from a lot of posts , from a lot of people , I would have to say no.

The Pinnacle Grill is revenue generating floorspace on the ship. If they charge too much thats keeping passengers away, then they may find that they are losing revenue. However, if they jack the price up 50% but they don't lose 50% of the Pinnacle's customers, then they are actually coming out ahead. I suspect only the bean counters at HAL HQ really know how their customers are reacting to this.

The wife & I would never pay that much. We thought $20 was pushing it, so we never tried the Pinnacle on our cruise. If you think it costs too much, don't go. The free market is a wonderful thing. If they are losing revenue because they are charging too much, the free market will force them to make adjustments.

The Pinnacle Grill is revenue generating floorspace on the ship. If they charge too much thats keeping passengers away, then they may find that they are losing revenue. However, if they jack the price up 50% but they don't lose 50% of the Pinnacle's customers, then they are actually coming out ahead. I suspect only the bean counters at HAL HQ really know how their customers are reacting to this.

The wife & I would never pay that much. We thought $20 was pushing it, so we never tried the Pinnacle on our cruise. If you think it costs too much, don't go. The free market is a wonderful thing. If they are losing revenue because they are charging too much, the free market will force them to make adjustments.

Just got back from the Amsterdam.

Had a great meal in the Pinnacle. Our TA pick-up the tab. I belive the Pinnacle is making a profit by selling the wine. How could you not enjoy A great meal in the Pinnacle with out a bottel of good wine. We had two bottels and paid $125.00 for the two. If they did not make a profit then something is wrong. We all know that wine is always over price at any resturant you go to.

We've had some good experiences at the Pinnacle but the last few times we actually had things to complain about. This last visit in September on Westerdam was dismal. Poor seating and uncaring service, undercooked side dishes, spoiled Bernaise sauce were among the negatives. One server was so inattentive to requests she ignored my comments on the way my steak was cooked, my undercooked baked potato, and the Bernaise and focused her attention elsewhere. Then she was "out" finding more butter for another table and never came back. We did describe our experience in the PG on the survey at the end of the cruise but since it was another couple's anniversary we didn't say anything negative at the table. The atmosphere was so different from what we're used to on HAL. It's almost like the PG is an alien entity. We won't go back.

GN

Archived