Hatcher Pass

LarryF

I would like to drive the Hatcher Pass Road and possibly stay a night at the Hatcher Pass Lodge. This would be on May 29 or 30. Will I be able to drive this road at that time of year? I read somewhere that the road somtimes has a lot of snow on it as late as July?

Budget Queen is right about checking for local conditions. Severe flooding in August closed the road on the west side; not sure what the conditions will be but the road rarely opens until mid June at the very earliest.

You can still drive up from the Palmer Side but mine usually opens after Memorial Day. Lodge is open year round.

• 2 weeks later...

Barring an avalanche, you should be able to get up to the lodge that time of year, there will be lots of snow still, but the road will be open. There may still be some x-country skiing going on. They have paved a lot of the road coming in from the Palmer side, maybe even up to the lodge, I haven't been there for a year or so.

scott

Archived