Rental car drop-off near Miami port

SolidGoldCruiser

We are hoping to rent a car at FLL and then drop it off the next day at a location very near the port of Miami. Others have posted about this and mentioned that they then took a free shuttle to the port.

Has anyone done this recently? Which agency did you use? (I just called Budget and Alamo and am going nowhere fast)

Would appreciate any advice/help.

Avis has the closest downtown location to the port, barely 5 minutes away. ;)

AVIS Downtown Miami - M6I

99 Southeast 2nd Street, (at Southeast 1st Avenue)

Miami, FL 33131

305-379-1317

Mon-Fri 08:00AM-06:00PM

Sun 08:00AM-04:00PM

Sat 08:00AM-04:00PM

.///////

Also, in case anyone is looking for a rental car from FLL to Miami, Dollar is renting mid size cars for $50.02, including tax from FLL with drop off at Miami airport and free shuttle to the port. They are offering pick up at the port and return rental for $48.64, including tax. I called to reserve ours, so I could tell them I need to be dropped off and picked up at the port.

Hertz has a location downtown, but the rental is $75 with tax, as is Avis the last time I checked.

We're renting from National in Orlando and dropping off in Miami before our NCL cruise. I called the closed location in South Beach and was told they have continuous back and forth free shuttle service to the Port until 2 pm every day. The National one way rate (with our company contract) was almost twice as inexpensive as the other car rental prices I looked at.

• 4 weeks later...

We'd like to pick up a car in Fort Lauderdale Airport on January 20'07 and drop it off at the Port of Miami. I haven't read of anybody dropping off their car at the Port yet. Is this advisable? What is the pros/cons of dropping it off at the Port or dropping it off at the Miami airport? Kinda confused:confused:

Thanks in advance.

We'd like to pick up a car in Fort Lauderdale Airport on January 20'07 and drop it off at the Port of Miami. I haven't read of anybody dropping off their car at the Port yet. Is this advisable? What is the pros/cons of dropping it off at the Port or dropping it off at the Miami airport? Kinda confused:confused:

Thanks in advance.

The reason you have not read of anybody dropping their car off at the port is because there is NO place to drop it off at the port. There are no car rental agencies, desks, kiosks or rental car lots at the Port of Miami.

Avis has a drop off downtown very near the port. I've read on these boards that Hertz has a drop off at one of the downtown hotels and a poster above states National has a drop off in South Beach. :rolleyes:

//////

I have a car reserved with Alamo and when I called them they have a shuttle to the port. The drop location is not at the airport but at 3355 NW 22nd Street...

The drop off is the airport - you have to take the car back to the airport and then they will shuittle you to the pier. I called about that.

We are going to rent from Enterprise as they have a location at the Hyatt and we'll take a cab to the hotel from the Hyatt.

On two seperate trips we rented from Thrifty at the FLL airport ( we always choose them because they have the lowest rate on convertibles) and then dropped the car just off-site of the MIA airport. The free shuttle from there to the port takes about 15 minutes at the most.

On the return, we take the free shuttle from the ship back to the MIA car pick-up then return it to the FLL airport.

If you rent a convertible be careful the trunk is really small but the ride is lots of fun:D

Archived