What to wear?

pnhmrk

We've just received two packets from Cunard: our Voyage Information booklet (one or two months late depending on what part of the Cunard site you look at for guidance) and out tickets (three weeks early). There is an entry on the "Cruise Information" page that has never been there before; It reads "Evening Attire: Formal - 4, Semiformal - 7, Casual - 5". This raises several questions:

1) What is Semiformal? Do they mean Informal?

2) We are at sea for six days. As one of those is our last day shouldn't there be five formal nights?

3) We don't sail from Malaga until 11-00pm so we knew that night would be casual. There are four nights where we sail at 6-00pm, are those also going to be casual?

4) When there was only one casual night we found that most people just treated it as an informal night. Now that there are a lot more casual nights will people wear something different? Will there actually be five casual nights?

5) What is the casual dress code for men on the QE2? The brochure says "Slacks and a sweater or shirt" and the Voyage Information says "Slacks, collared shirt and a jacket" however in the past the daily programme has said sports jacket and tie for casual nights.

Perhaps the most shocking thing is in the Voyage Information booklet where it says "Casual wear is acceptable every evening in the Lido". Does that mean that the dress code no longer applies to the entire ship? (Although on the same page it does refer to the "suggested dress" being for the restaurants and all public rooms!)

That is odd Malcolm. 7 Semiformal (informal) nights? I mean I'm on the newer QM2 on a 7 day Caribbean sailing and we're only doing 1 semiformal along with 3 casuals and 3 formals. Your QE2 trip seems rather weird in terms of the dress code but then again.........this is the wonderful world of Cunard. This is my first sailing but we have all heard stories about how the numbers of nights change once you get on board.

David

We're on the QM2 November 25th -- a week from today:)

Our impression of the dress code is as follows:

Formal -- Tuxedo

Semi Formal -- Jacket and Tie

Casual -- No tie.

We are looking forward to the cruise and dressing up. It is our understanding that there are three formal nights on our voyage.

--Judy

Hello Malcolm, Cunard told me a while ago that semi-formal was their new terminology for informal, and it does seem to be a more apt description for cocktail dress/lounge suit.

My guess is that a few people arrived at dinner on the first 'informal' night imagining that informal meant what it said on the tin (ie jeans, logo t-shirts, trainers etc:D)

Nice to be able to help you for a change,

Regards, Mary

Cunard told me a while ago that semi-formal was their new terminology for informal

That explains a lot:) It would be nice if they changed their terminology at the same time as all their publications. That way you wouldn't read one thing in one place, a different and contradictory thing further down the page and finally be told a third, fourth and fifth thing!

Casual -- No tie

Yes on the QM2. The brochure has always said the same thing for the QE2 but, when you get the programme for that day, it says that casual is a jacket and tie. I suppose that my question is to those people who've been on the QE2 very recently (since they started announcing a large number of casual nights); What did the men wear?:confused:

Malcolm

I wish I could help here (as you've been so helpful to many incl myself previously), but I can only give advice re QM2 (not as "dressy" as QE2?) where formal = black tie, semi/in formal = jacket and tie and casual = open neck shirt and or sweater and trousers. I saw no-one in black tie when they "shouldn't" and several in jacket/tie on the casual nights. Only the four main restaurants enforced these codes, the four "lido" restaurants in the Kings Court were casual all the time, night and day.

I hope you have a great voyage.

Okay, My turn!

What is the saying- US and Britain, two peoples separated by a common language?

In the US, Semi-formal is dressy- Like your prom might be formal but the homecoming dance is semi-formal. Usually that is a shorter formal dress, not floor length. Guys might wear suits instead of tuxes, or some might wear tuxes. Informal, to me, is not even really dressy! Like if I had an informal party at my house, you wouldn't necessarily wear a dress. It could even be shorts.

anyway- Started writing this hours ago- I am on call 24/7 for work this week til Tuesday. It's been non-stoop today! (So much for my Saturday!)

Karie,

who always wondered about those definitions!

Okay, My turn!

What is the saying- US and Britain, two peoples separated by a common language?

In the US, Semi-formal is dressy- Like your prom might be formal but the homecoming dance is semi-formal. Usually that is a shorter formal dress, not floor length. Guys might wear suits instead of tuxes, or some might wear tuxes. Informal, to me, is not even really dressy! Like if I had an informal party at my house, you wouldn't necessarily wear a dress. It could even be shorts.

anyway- Started writing this hours ago- I am on call 24/7 for work this week til Tuesday. It's been non-stoop today! (So much for my Saturday!)

Karie,

who always wondered about those definitions!

Eh?? .... what's that Karie - pack lots of denim ???? icon12.gif

Ken

who would looooove to bump into you on a cruise (as long as it was on QM2)

Eh?? .... what's that Karie - pack lots of denim ???? icon12.gif

Ken

who would looooove to bump into you on a cruise (as long as it was on QM2)

Ken,

It is very easy to bump into me. I am big and clumsy!

(and MIGHT be wearing denim! Easier to row in! <LOL>)

Karie,

who is NOT a rabble rouser...much!

Poor Malcolm...ask a perfectly reasonable question and look where it's going!! Right into the dreaded "J" word AND the "S" word, all in one sentence!;)

Karie...do you plan to do that rowing after they find you in my steamer trunk? Might be too hot for them in the Caribbean!:p

Malcolm...are you catching the subtle difference between "prom" wear and "homecoming" attire? Even I'm getting confused as i wore formal (long) to both...that would be way back in the dark ages though.:rolleyes: I'm not trusting to what Cunard has stated in our docs...I'm packing tux, black suit, sport jackets, shirts with ties and shirts to wear without ties...Steve will be ready for anything...what's another suitcase!!;) At least you don't have to worry about how many gowns and accessories to take!!

Cheers, Penny...who has a feeling that Malcolm will be splendidly dressed no matter what

In all the times I've been on Queen Elizabeth 2 I have only ever had one casual night (on an overnight stop at Quebec) and as far as I recall I wore a blazer and tie.

Lounge suit (very dark grey - virtually black) for informal

Dress Suit for formal.

I would not go to dinner without a tie in the Queens Grill, and I was far from the only one that evening. On the other hand, anyone who took the guidance more literally wouldn't have been horribly out of place.

The "shipwide" guidance was in force as recently as last month. It was kept to - even on a three nighter.

I've had no end of ports where we've sailed at six - and never less formal then informal.

If I were you (and I'm not) I'd follow what I've done in the past. In fact, I can see myself in those circumstances deciding that I'd take casual to read informal and wear a suit.

Karie...do you plan to do that rowing after they find you in my steamer trunk? Might be too hot for them in the Caribbean!:p

Malcolm...are you catching the subtle difference between "prom" wear and "homecoming" attire? Even I'm getting confused as i wore formal (long) to both...that would be way back in the dark ages though.:rolleyes: I'm not trusting to what Cunard has stated in our docs...I'm packing tux, black suit, sport jackets, shirts with ties and shirts to wear without ties.../quote]

And that's just for HER to wear! You should see what's she's bringing for hubby! <G> (ducking!)

Actually, Homecoming I wore a long dress, but it had harem pants under and slit all the way up the sides. purple with Gold Trim all the way around the hem and slits of the skirt part.

(Okay made out of old flour sacks Granny saved for all of my high school years.<LOL> NOT!)

Okay- Semi-Formal- what you would wear to a Rainbow Girls.Triangle Girls thing- Formal what you would wear to installation, Or cotillion or Debutante Ball. Semi-Formal more like a girl's party dress, for grown-ups!

P.S. What steamer trunk? ;)

Malcolm...are you catching the subtle difference between "prom" wear and "homecoming" attire? Even I'm getting confused as i wore formal (long) to both...that would be way back in the dark ages though.:rolleyes: I'm not trusting to what Cunard has stated in our docs...I'm packing tux, black suit, sport jackets, shirts with ties and shirts to wear without ties.../quote]

And that's just for HER to wear! You should see what's she's bringing for hubby! <G> (ducking!)

Actually, Homecoming I wore a long dress, but it had harem pants under and slit all the way up the sides. purple with Gold Trim all the way around the hem and slits of the skirt part.

(Okay made out of old flour sacks Granny saved for all of my high school years.<LOL> NOT!)

Okay- Semi-Formal- what you would wear to a Rainbow Girls.Triangle Girls thing- Formal what you would wear to installation, Or cotillion or Debutante Ball. Semi-Formal more like a girl's party dress, for grown-ups!

P.S. What steamer trunk? ;)

Karie - you could have written that in French and it would have made more sense!

A steamer trunk is a large piece of luggage that was typically used on liners in the days when one couldn't fly over. About 45 cm x 45 cm x 120 cm minimum.

Karie - you could have written that in French and it would have made more sense!

A steamer trunk is a large piece of luggage that was typically used on liners in the days when one couldn't fly over. About 45 cm x 45 cm x 120 cm minimum.

Kindlychap...trust me..if you talk to Karie long enough, strangely it will suddenly make sense....very scary!:eek: And she knows well what a steamer trunk is...she's trying to convince me to take one Dec 2nd so she can stow-away in it and sleep on someone's balcony! (not mine!! nothing personal karie..I have other plans for that balcony!;) )

Quote Karie..."Okay- Semi-Formal- what you would wear to a Rainbow Girls.Triangle Girls thing- Formal what you would wear to installation, Or cotillion or Debutante Ball. Semi-Formal more like a girl's party dress, for grown-ups! "

Malcolm...do you need a translation for this? ;)

Cheers, Penny

semi-finale-formal- correct ce qui vous porteriez aux filles de l'arc-en-ciel Girls.Triangle une chose formelle ce que vous porteriez à l'installation, ou boule de cotillon ou de débutante. semi-finale-formal davantage comme la robe de la partie d'une fille, pour des adultes !

Hey! The stowaway part was Beth's idea!

And it's David's Balcony- We're also planning on bringing a hibachi grill sow we can make dinner out there.

I am thinking of a hammock, though, instead of a sleeping bag. Much more tropical! <G>

Karie,

Who does NOT speak French that well!

Quote Karie..."Okay- Semi-Formal- what you would wear to a Rainbow Girls.Triangle Girls thing- Formal what you would wear to installation, Or cotillion or Debutante Ball. Semi-Formal more like a girl's party dress, for grown-ups! "

OMG Karie, are the Rainbow Girls still around? I was really big in that back in the 1940s.:D

OMG Karie, are the Rainbow Girls still around? I was really big in that back in the 1940s.:D

Not me! My older sister, Debby!

Too stuffy for me! I was in the band, Girl Scouts, and Civil Air Patrol!

Debby was in one in New York State and the other when we moved to Florida.

Karie,

No Mason, I!

Okay. I give up. What are Rainbow Girls and Triangle things?

--Judy, who really has a need to know!:D

Masonic Organizations for teenaged girls.

My mother was in Eastern Star. Dad was Masonic Lodge.,Masonic Temple, 12th degree Mason. He was also a sphinx, which I didn't realize, only looked up recently what they are- Why they wear a fez with an Arab Scimitar!

Karie,

who never felt a need to be a mason- I can hire a bricklayer if I need a mason! <G> Now a CARPENTER! That I could use! THis weekend would be good! (and one who can lay Corian preferrably!)

I just received my world cruise documents and there are:

57 formal nights (tuxedo or dark business suit)

37 informal nights (jacket & tie)

14 "casual elegant" nights (Jacket & collared shirt or sweater with collared shirt)

There are some bizarre items, too... on many sailings after 7 and even 8pm the dress code is informal rather than casual. There are even some sailings such as Moorea at 6pm that are given as formal.

I was rather put off by QE2's interpretation of casual as requiring a jacket. On Queen Mary 2 I wore dark dressy shirts and slacks on the 3 casual nights on a recent cruise and it was fine, including 1 dinner in Todd English. Moreover, there is no way I am wearing anything other than casual in the Lido on those nights that I choose to dine there, even when the dress code is formal or informal. I know that I will not want to dine all 108 nights in the Caronia - I can't eat like that every night and will want the option to eat something lighter and later in the evening in the Lido. The enforcing of the dress code is at so at odds with the option of the Lido. It is absurd to expect a tux or a suit or even a blazer in the Lido.

I adore the QE2 and love to dress for dinner, but whoever designs the dress code designation is out of touch with reality. Even the best restaurants in NYC do not require that degree of formality. I dined in one of them last night and no one was in jacket or tie! And there were even some in jeans! But that's another rant and another thread! :rolleyes:

End of tirade...at least for now on land.;)

In all the times I've been on Queen Elizabeth 2 I have only ever had one casual night (on an overnight stop at Quebec) and as far as I recall I wore a blazer and tie.

I'd say the same thing except it was an overnight in Gibraltar (!) and I just wore a lounge suit. The reason I'm questioning it this time is that this is the first time I've ever seen the dress codes stated on the ticket and with there being so many casual nights.

On the other hand, anyone who took the guidance more literally wouldn't have been horribly out of place.

We were in PG, but I didn't see any man on the ship who wasn't wearing a tie.

The "shipwide" guidance was in force as recently as last month. It was kept to - even on a three nighter.

This is the first time that I've seen the Voyage Information say that casual is OK on any night in The Lido. It also says that the code applies to the entire ship after 6-00pm so I suspect that this is something that they've just brought in and haven't changed everywhere it occurs.

If I were you (and I'm not) I'd follow what I've done in the past. In fact, I can see myself in those circumstances deciding that I'd take casual to read informal and wear a suit.

I think that is what we will do. I'd far rather be slightly overdressed than underdressed:cool:

Archived