What to wear?

pnhmrk

This is the first time that I've seen the Voyage Information say that casual is OK on any night in The Lido. It also says that the code applies to the entire ship after 6-00pm so I suspect that this is something that they've just brought in and haven't changed everywhere it occurs.

Gosh, I hope no one has to run into the laundromat after 6PM on a formal night. And God forbid they wanted to swim or go in the spa! This would be kinda tough in a tux!

Not sure what Cunard's point is here. They are putting in more casual nights at the same time they are enforcing the dress code ship-wide on QE2. It doesn't make sense that they seem to be going more formal and less formal at the same time!

Oh well, "Ours is not to wonder why..."

Karie,

who fesrs she shall have to sleep in an evening gown if she goes on QE2!

Just a few questions to add to this. What happens if you do not adhear to the dress code correctly ? Are you thrown overboard ?

Unfortunately proper attire is not always enforced nowadays but than it is rarely necessary on the QE2 as most people dress well. On several instances I have seen staff approaching passengers and politely inform them about the requested attire. BTW this includes people denied afternoon tea in the Queens' Grill Lounge.

Also, if it is a warm night after dinner is the man allowed to remove his tie and jacket ?:)

So far the dress code applied to all public rooms all night after 6 pm (besides the Lido). Anway it is just bad behaviour to remove jacket and tie and expose youself.

Anway it is just bad behaviour to remove jacket and tie and expose youself.

Hmm, well, removing the coat and tie and exosing yourself are two totally different subjects! <LOL> But the latter could make for an exciting time onboard. Hope they have enough smelling salts to go round for the ladies! <G>

Well, I hope they don't mind sneakers or maybe even fuzzy slippers on under my evening gown. I can't stay in heels or even flats I am not used to for very long.Very painful for me, and I will be in bed the next day. Not how I like to send a cruise. Might decide to go without certain tight and sometimes painful items of underthingies that men do not have to suffer through, too! So Cunard. If you are REALLY going to be that strict, WATCH OUT! Things could go flying! <G> If certain appendages normally controlled get loose, it could be dangerous! (Formal underthingies different from everyday underthingies and would no doubt look awful with a low cut gown!)

Karie,

who is being silly of course, but then, I thought I left dress codes behind in the 60's!

It certainly is, Carl. Very bad form:).

Regards, Mary

With apologies Carl, but I couldn't resist. Your English is fantastic, my German is pathetic, but this quote could be misinterpreted. I'm sure one of the gentlemen on here will explain:).

PS Karie and I seem to think along the same lines and posted simultaneously. She got in first.

PS Karie and I seem to think along the same lines and posted simultaneously. She got in first.

Gee, Mary,

Another double entendre (Sort of!)

BTW- CarlMM is not his name it means Caronia Lover MM is something German.

FYI CarLMM (Heck, now Ive forgotten your REAL name!<G>)

And in English, Exposing oneself usually does not refer to the part of the anatomy above the waist

Karie,

who is pushing the limits of propriety! :D

Taking off your jacket and tie in public is far worse than revealing other bits - just think of Scotsmen and kilts.:) (something else with the underpinnings missing:D )

Masonic Organizations for teenaged girls.

My mother was in Eastern Star. Dad was Masonic Lodge.,Masonic Temple, 12th degree Mason. He was also a sphinx, which I didn't realize, only looked up recently what they are- Why they wear a fez with an Arab Scimitar!

Karie,

who never felt a need to be a mason- I can hire a bricklayer if I need a mason! <G> Now a CARPENTER! That I could use! THis weekend would be good! (and one who can lay Corian preferrably!)

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I thought that Rainbow Girls were some sort of scouting organization.:D

It was a pleasant surprise to realize that I had confused the number of casual nights as opposed to the semiformal nights. There are three casual on our cruise (QM2) and one semi-formal.

For very good advice and a generally friendly group, you should surf over to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

--judy

Just a few questions to add to this. What happens if you do not adhear to the dress code correctly ? Are you thrown overboard ?

Also, if it is a warm night after dinner is the man allowed to remove his tie and jacket ?:)

I think it is permitted to undo one's bow tie towards the end of the evening.

Yikes...take a day off and look what happens. Malcolm started out asking for some dress assurances and now we've got people exposing themselves... :eek: I think I'd better go back and re-read this. I must have missed something.;)

Malcolm....giving up on trying to sort out the intricacies of rainbow Girls, eastern Star etc is a wise choice. I'd have had trouble translating anyway!! Now Cotillion and debutante I can do...just be VERY formal. And that includes elbow length gloves. When will these archaic things go away??? Slightly overdressed beats underdressed all the time...I'm betting you'll look smashing!

Bobby1119...the mind BOGGLES at the thought of 57 formal night!! And here I'm worryng about packing 3 gowns for our formal nights!! Need a steamer trunk? Call Karie...she's planning to borrow mine for some nefarious reason...;)

Cheers, Penny

Gee, Mary,

Another double entendre (Sort of!)

BTW- CarlMM is not his name it means Caronia Lover MM is something German.

FYI CarLMM (Heck, now Ive forgotten your REAL name!<G>)

And in English, Exposing oneself usually does not refer to the part of the anatomy above the waist

Karie,

who is pushing the limits of propriety! :D

Karie, the double entendre stemmed from my pathetic rush to get the first joke in (which I failed to do by one measly minute). I bow to your superior speed.

CarlMM - apologies for getting your name wrong.

Mary

Who is busily proof reading this for anything that could conceivably be construed as a double meaning, double negative or anything else unsavoury:).

No need to apologize, Mary, the confusion is due to my unlucky choice of member name.

On the contrary, I would like to apologize to every lady for any embarrasement I might have caused.

Yet I am happy I gave some reason for a good laugh to some. Thanks to all for improving my knowledge of the English / American language. Sometimes you learn the hard way. (Actually not that hard with forgiving people like you around.)

I am just glad I expressed the view I had, and did not state it was IMHO allright to *** oneself after dinner dancing in the Queen's Room or something like that.

Archived