going from a balcony to inside cabin

volfan22701

we took our first cruise this fall, and needless to say loved the cruising experience. now looking at options for next year, and would like to book after the first of the year. on the first cruise we booked an ov guarantee, and were upraded to a balcony (lucky huh?). we know we want to take a cruise with extended family next november, but would like to do one earlier with just the two of us. we loved the balcony, but really did not spend a lot of time either on the balcony or in the room. usually stayed out until late, came in and went to bed, and were going again as soon as we got up. so my question for any with experience is, do you think going cheap with an inside room would be a let down for us?

we feel to get more cruises we could afford the inside cost much easier but not sure if we would enjoy not having a view from the room, even though we didn't spend much time the first time in the room.

any comments from you experienced cruisers?.......thanks

Hi I have sailed in both balcony, inside and ov rooms. As long as you take an illuminated alarm clock for the inside cabin I say go with that room and cruise more often. The darkness is great for sleeping but waking up and being able to tell what time it is is great because you don't want to sleep past your reservations if you have any. As long as I am cruising I don't care what type of room I am in. Have a great time on your cruise.

Hey neighbor! I live just 30 miles or so east of you! I have never sailed in an inside cabin before, but have been in one to visit. For me personally, I would not do well inside. I go on my balcony first thing when I wake up, have room service deliver coffee and breakfast and start my day there. It sounds like you did not use your balcony much though, so an iside may be perfect for you. We like to use ours on sea days to sit and read too. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

I'm probably not the best person to answer this as I just love th balcony. I son't always spend that much time out there, but it is so wonderful to have that option at least. especially at night , leaving the door open to hear the ocean.....

I have done OV and even that is inferior now after being used to a balcony, but at least there is light and you can see outside, the ocean etc. I did a last minute trip a few weeks ago for my birthday and could only get an inside. I have to say even tho it was a short 4 night cruise, and I wasn't in the cabin much at all, I truly hated not having a window or some view of the outside daylight etc.

The inside is quite claustrophobic and always so dark, I didn't like it at all, so even tho its much cheaper and you don't spend much time in it, I would still prefer to pay the extra and at least have a window, if I couldn't afford a balcony...just my opinion.

Yea we made the mistake of booking a balcony on our first cruise and now we can't book anything else. We loved having the morning coffee, afternoon drink, late night glass of wine and the views were great. I guess once you had one it is difficult not to have one:rolleyes:

We sailed our last cruise inside cabin. It was the first time for us because we took alot if family with us and we were watching our budget. Prior sailings we have had OV and once a balcony which I really enjoyed.

I was apprehensive about the inside, but it was fine. It was actually very nice for sleeping if you are late night people it is probably the best. It is a great way to save money. If it would be a choice between an inside cabin or no cruise I would do and inside.

Our first cruise on the Legend we were bummed up from a 4a to an 8f balcony needless to say we were quite taken with it. But as you stated you are hardly in the cabin at all and we found we were on the balcony mostly for sail away. Our last two we were inside and loved it. We would go out on deck 6 at the front of the ship and watch the sail aways from there. it was awesome!! I cannot justify spending the extra money for the balcony, IMHO. This next cruise we have connecting cabins with our teen daughters and it was quite a bit less then the expense of one balcony for the 4 of us. Book a 4a guarentee and who knows :D

We have had anything from an ocean view on the third deck, to a balcony on the ninth deck to an inside room on the ninth deck and a few other ocean views too. My wife and I are on a fixed income, so we can not travel as much as we'd like, so we do what we can. For us, we are only in the room to sleep and change clothes, so it really doesn't matter what we have. If I could, of course I'd rather have a suite, but we would rather cruise more often. We spend most of the time on the pool deck in the sun anyway. Don't know about you, but I'd be happy almost anyplace as long as I was on a cruise. :)

for the replies. as i imagined the opinions are varied, but i enjoyed reading them all. guess we will just have to book enough to try all room types.

since we are not claustrophobic will probably go inside next to see how it is. and maybe go for the balcony again later.

dan, loved your reply. i think we may feel that way also. looking forward to many more cruises.

doug

We had always had an ov or balcony but on our last cruise we got an inside room and it was fine. i really liked the fact that I could sleep in after a long night. Could also take a quick nap before dinner- sleeping was much easier with no light!!! Our next cruise in Jan we paid for an inside room and got a 5a- which is an obstructed view- We got a cabin between two lifeboats and have french doors that open. So we get some fresh air.

Can you translate that for me. I can't figure it out.:confused:

I think he is saying: Balcony (is) good, Inside (is) good; cruising (is) good; you bet (cha)

We started crusing with a balcony, and have done both an oceanview and inside since then. I didn't feel claustrophic in the inside room. We did take a night light and lighted clock so we could tell the time. We cruised an NCL that had no chair or loveseat in the inside room, and I really missed that. I am told that the Glory inside rooms don't have a chair either, so I plan on booking at least an oceanview, just to get a chair to relax on, rather than having to sit on the bed.

Hello Volfan, we're practically neighbors. I'm down in the Thornburg area now, but lived for 27 years in Chantilly.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your 1st cruise,and lucky you to get an upgrade. You can see by my signature that I've been on a few cruises,and have Never been upgraded yet. Notice I still say yet. LOL

Anyhoo,

I also say go for the inside. Personally I can't do inside,as I'm claustrophobic and Must have at least a port hole. I have to be able to see out. But, if being in a totally dark cabin,day or night if the lights are not on,won't bother you,Go for it. As far as size goes the Inside and Ocean View cabins are exactly the same size. Both of them,I believe,are even a bit larger than the balcony cabins. The balcony itself takes up some of the advertised space for that type of cabin. I have had both OV and Balcony,and like both of them. Obviously having a balcony is nice,especially for certain itinerary's,but to me it's not a make or break for the cruise.

Just to sleep,I could sleep on a lounger on the deck if it meant I'd be on a cruise. It might be a tad difficult to shower and change clothes on the deck tho,so I opt for the cabin. :D:

seems the majority of responses are leaning toward any room is a good room if it is on a cruise. think i will book inside, and see how it is. i am looking at the liberty eastern 8 day cruise next november or early december from fort lauderdale. my son lives there, and wants to go with us. has anyone here been on that itinerary at that time of year, and if so any comments. any must do's. also how is the weather. is weather better in the eastern or western that time of year.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Its ALL good, 'kay?

Dan

Ha! Ha! ha! I had to edit this. That was a response to a different question I asked on the board tonight.

O.K. I got what you were saying. As soon as someone explained it to me, I saw it. I just was not doing a good job of reading it phonically. My bad!!!!

I was sounding out "gud" like it rhymed with "mud". Ha! Ha! ha! Me a dummy!!! So sorry.

Ha! Ha! ha! I had to edit this. That was a response to a different question I asked on the board tonight.

O.K. I got what you were saying. As soon as someone explained it to me' date=' I saw it. I just was not doing a good job of reading it phonically. My bad!!!!

I was sounding out "gud" like it rhymed with "mud". Ha! Ha! ha! Me a dummy!!! So sorry.[/quote']

Perhaps a "Senior Moment", I get lots of them.................I think---

Dan

After several cruises with a window or balcony and totally loving every cruise, I thought: How bad could an inside possibly be? We'll be on the ship, save lots of money, etc., etc. Well, it was REALLY BAD, so bad that I will never, ever do it again (now 20+ cruises here)

My experience: I was so claustrophobic that I dreaded going back to the cabin even to change clothes and just wanted to stay up all night or sleep on the deck. I felt like I was in coffin. We had to leave the bathroom light on...night lite didn't do it. I SOOOOO missed looking at the sea, even just out of a porthole.

But, that is just me, and you may not feel like that at all. I still had a great time, though, because it was a cruise, but I would NEVER do it again. The inside cabin tainted the cruise and the minimal cost savings is not worth it for me.

Good for you if you can handle it, because you will be able to cruise more often. At minimum, I'll spend the little extra and see daylight from a porthole. Preferred cruise, most all cruises now, we get a balcony. It's worth every penny because I can stare uninterrupted at the sea.

Judy

I have booked many IS but so far have been lucky and got upgraded to 5A's or OV. I have also done a Balcony on the Sun. Like others have said, didnt spend much time in the room to justify the cost. For us, just being on the ship is a good thing. Saving money is even better. Because the Caribbean has been so undersold this year, we will have ended up on 7 cruises in 2006 after we take the Dec 4th one. We would not have been able to do that booking balconies.

With all that said, I did book a balcony on our 15-night cruise on the NCL Spirit from New York to New Orleans. At the time I booked it, it was only a $400 difference from an IS to a BAL. Plus a balcony going through St. Thomas will be great. Even though this cruise is less than a year away, our cabin has gone up $1100 in price since we booked it. The eight ports of call are selling this cruise plus you get to spend time in NY and NOLA.

Dave

Archived