How are the Jeep tours? Worth $$ ?

Thoth

Hello, I'm considering several ship tours for next year.

While I love nature, I'm not into lying on a beach so I need something interesting to see. In 2001 I did the turtle farm, Hell, and glass bottomed boat. Needless to say, I want to do something else this time. Grand Cayman is all about the beach and understandably so. Too bad I'm not into beaches !

Here are some prospective ship excursions,

"Grand Cayman off the beaten path" consist of Morgan's Harbor, Barkers National Park, Spanish Bay Reef, Botswain Bay, Governor's Beach, Beach Club Colony.

OR

"Grand Cayman Jeep Adventure" which goes to Wreck of the Ten Sails and Reef Resort.

Do y'all think these tours are worth $99 ? THANKS

The JEEP adventures sound cool, and that was our intial pick.

However, after thinking it over, we switched to the ATV adventure because we wanted to go to more "off-road" places and trails.

Plus....the main factor for the switch: we got to drive our own vehicles!!! :D

In the JEEP, you will be a party fo 4 and may get stuck being a passenger the whole time. You also may get paired up with folks you may not paritcularly care for, or have a different agenda than you. Not a chance we wanted to take!

Let us know what you decide!

The JEEP adventures sound cool, and that was our intial pick.

However, after thinking it over, we switched to the ATV adventure because we wanted to go to more "off-road" places and trails.

Plus....the main factor for the switch: we got to drive our own vehicles!!! :D

In the JEEP, you will be a party fo 4 and may get stuck being a passenger the whole time. You also may get paired up with folks you may not paritcularly care for, or have a different agenda than you. Not a chance we wanted to take!

Let us know what you decide!

I hadn't thought of an ATV. I'll look into doing that. In the jeep tour hopefully they will switch up drivers. If I pay $99 I WILL drive my share. One advantage for me is I'm a teetotaler and the rules state drivers cannot drink, so I might be driving back?

We rented from Andy's, but there are others on the island. The great thing about Grand Cayman is you can go anywhere and feel safe. Just use the usual precautions you'd use anywhere.

Whatever you do, have a great time! :)

One disadvantage is I am solo traveler, so I prefer a group tour.

Thoth, we just took the private Jeep 4x4 @$69 pp, which ends up at Rum Point. I think you might like this as you set the pace. It is operated by Island Marketing. We ended up being the only couple booked, so our private tour with Gino was great. We met him at the little church next to the Blue Iguana before the Tortuga Rum Cake little store. As rain was in the forescast, he opted to keep the hard top on which proved to be very wise.

Our first stop was at the large Tortuga Rum Cake factory. Liquor will be shipped back to your ship, so you don't have to worry about carrying it with you. Next stop was Pedro's Castle then onto the shore to see some of the hurricane damage that still exists on the "rich" side of that island. Next stop was to view rock formations including Caymenite and rock/stone formations like at Hell. All the time during our tour, Gino gave us the history, the home values then and now, and lots of new information about this rich island. Our last stop and time for leisure was at Rum Point. There is plenty of shade and it is a beautiful place for swimming or just laying back in a hammock (all free). There is table service for lunch and bar service (2 drinks =$22) is available just a few steps from the pier. We elected for a 2 hour stay and our driver relaxed on the beach while we enjoyed the Caribbean tropical breezes and warmth. It was very relaxing and a great way to spend the day again in GC.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Thoth, we just took the private Jeep 4x4 @$69 pp, which ends up at Rum Point. I think you might like this as you set the pace. It is operated by Island Marketing. We ended up being the only couple booked, so our private tour with Gino was great. We met him at the little church next to the Blue Iguana before the Tortuga Rum Cake little store. As rain was in the forescast, he opted to keep the hard top on which proved to be very wise.

Our first stop was at the large Tortuga Rum Cake factory. Liquor will be shipped back to your ship, so you don't have to worry about carrying it with you. Next stop was Pedro's Castle then onto the shore to see some of the hurricane damage that still exists on the "rich" side of that island. Next stop was to view rock formations including Caymenite and rock/stone formations like at Hell. All the time during our tour, Gino gave us the history, the home values then and now, and lots of new information about this rich island. Our last stop and time for leisure was at Rum Point. There is plenty of shade and it is a beautiful place for swimming or just laying back in a hammock (all free). There is table service for lunch and bar service (2 drinks =$22) is available just a few steps from the pier. We elected for a 2 hour stay and our driver relaxed on the beach while we enjoyed the Caribbean tropical breezes and warmth. It was very relaxing and a great way to spend the day again in GC.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Thanks for your feedback. As a solo traveler, I prefer a group tour. Does a private tour work for solos? Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I made my decision and it's this....

"Grand Cayman off the beaten path with lunch" consist of Morgan's Harbor, Barkers National Park, Spanish Bay Reef, Botswain Bay, Governor's Beach, Beach Club Colony.

I'll have to share my feedback after I return. cheers to those who offered their thoughts.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me if the Jeep tours thru Island Marketing in Grand Caymen are nice.($69pp) Do they get you back to the dock in plenty of time to be tendered back to ship? I have a GREAT fear of taking an independant shore excursion for that very reason. Will be on Caribbean Princess next October sailing and the jeep tour sounded better than any of the excursions ship was offering.

Hughbud

Infact, I've heard only positives about Island Marketing and this excursion. I'll be on it in a few short months, and will report back. In the meantime, I think it's quite a deal and offered everything we were looking for. The tour itself says it's scheduled to return to Georgetown around 1:30...three hours or so before our ship is scheduled to depart.

Hey Thoth' date='

I just noticed that you're from Petal. I grew up in Biloxi, and I have cousins who live in Petal. Small world, isn't it?[/quote']

small world indeed ! I also spend some time at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, so I sure miss the old Highway 90 beachfront. Katrina broke my heart.

We enjoyed our private tour with Gino on the Jeep 4x4 to Rum Point. Check out these photo's that certainly helped to sell me.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2500551880033765339XYTlII

As Rum Point is your last stop, you set the time for the return. Allow one-hour drive as you won't be stopping on the return. We had already shopped at the Tortuga Rum Factory and bought Cake and Rum. IMHO that's the highlight of souvenir shopping in GC. We walked abto the pier out 10 minutes from the pick-up/drop spot which is before the real downtown congestion and next door to the Blue Iguana . I wouldn't worry about getting back on time, just make allowance. Oh, Gino stayed right there on the beach anyway while we relaxed, so you could leave when you wanted to.

Bon Voyage.

I do have a few questions.

1.) Did you have a hard time making it in time, tendering after the Carnival excursion passengers and VIPs? I'm kinda freaked about it. Any tips for getting early tender tickets?

2.) How was the timing on the tour? Did it seem too long or too short? How about the time at Rum Point?

3.) How expensive were the munchies and drinks at Rum Point? I'm working out our budget now.

4.) Was it hard to remember to drive on the left side of the road?

5.) Did you actually learn things about the island on the tour? Or was it more periodic stopping for photo ops?

I think the trick to tender tickets is to be there early. If you booked a non ship excursion you had to get your tickets at the shopping desk on deck 5. If they say they are going to start handing tickets out at 930 be there about 830 - 845. Many people don't think of this and for both our tenders we got tender #1 so this system works! Gino our tour leader asked us what time we wanted to be back at the ship so he will totally work the tour around your timeframe. Count on it taking almost 1 hour to get back to the ship from Rum Point. I think we said we wanted to be back by 3:30 - no problem. It might be a little more of an issue if the group is large you will need to get a group concensous of your departure time from rum point. The timeframe for the tour was excellent everyone was very happy with the day. The food at Rum Point was excellent. Large portions I think about 10 - 15pp plus a drink. Chairs , hammocks etc. were all for free. Lots of shade avail as well. The water temp great I don't like cool water. Clean showers, change rooms and bathrooms.:) I was going to drive but because there were only 2 jeeps Gino our tour guide drove our jeep and my friends husband drove the other you simply follow the jeep ahead and that makes driving on the wrong side much easier. Also, the lead jeep would pull over if the second jeep wasn't immediately behind. No, we learned lots. especially those of us in the jeep with Gino. At the photo stops he would repeat the highlights and the rest of us would repeat other tidbits he had told us about. I would do the tour again it was a great way to see the island. :)

Archived