Maasdam Review Of 10/06

alaud

JUST READ THE LATEST REVIEW OF THE MAASDAM 10/06. IT WAS HORRIBLE. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME IT WAS NOT AS BAD AS THAT. THERE WAS ANOTHER REVIEW OF 10/06 WHICH WAS MUCH BETTER. SAILING IN JANUARY AND THIS IS SCARY!:confused:

It's just the old bell curve: on any given cruise you'll see reviews at both extremes, and the overwhelming majority have an experience somewhere in the middle. Odds are high that you'll have a fine time if you just don't let any trivial problems or disappointments fester! :D

I read the review you are talking about, and frankly I wouldnt take any review too seriously when the poster can find nothing positive to say. I have sailed on the Maasdam at least 10 times, including after the SOE upgrades this year. I am sure the poster had some bad experiences, but I can also tell you that some of his statements are either false, or dont make any sense. For example:

"The Maasdam is an old ship constructed in 1993 and apparently never renovated"

Fact: The Maasdam has been renovated several times, most recently a multi million dollar SOE dry dock earlier this year.

"Honestly the Golden Corral family restaurant has better overall food, selections and buffet"

Fact: Not been my experience at all! Read other reviews and posts here for a more balanced view.

"Even the ice machines in the Lido Café are so difficult to operate that a bus boy needs to get you the ice"

Fact: They do this as a service! At off hours I have never had any problem operating the ice machine to get my own ice. The bus boy is there to assist with drinks at the beverage station.

"Health Conscious Fare is not a priority with Holland. People who may be Health Conscious will have no real alternative aboard the Maasdam"

Fact: HAL has a spa cuisine menu in the dining room. Lunchtime choices inlclude a very fresh and well stocked salad bar, soups, sandwiches, etc.

"The third largest complaint was the roughness of our cruise."

Fact: His other cruises appear to be out of Florida. Anyone who has sailed from the East Coast, around Cape Hatteras, should be familiar with the seas. (I happen to like the feel of the ocean)

"We were about 120 miles from shore and shore lights could be seen "

Fact: I'm not sure about the incident he's reporting, but I can guarantee you there are some inaccuracies. Seeing the shore from 120 miles out? LOL.

" We were viewing the Da Vinci Code, but half way through it the captain broke in, the sound turned off so we could only here him. He proceeded to tell us weather conditions, location etc."

Fact: Yes, every day there is an announcement from the bridge at 1pm telling of the ship's postition, weather, and other interesting facts. I would think they would interupt the movie for this. Not sure what the big deal is.

I could go on and on about almost everything he wrote, but I wont. There are plenty of other posts here on food, service, and tipping, I would read them and draw your own conclusions.

"We were about 120 miles from shore and shore lights could be seen "

Fact: I'm not sure about the incident he's reporting, but I can guarantee you there are some inaccuracies. Seeing the shore from 120 miles out? LOL.

In fact, it's physically impossible. Assuming the Sports Deck of the Maasdam is about 80 feet above the waterline, the horizon will be about 15 miles away. Under perfect conditions, one could then see the top of another 80 foot lighted object 30 miles away, and a tall lighthouse perhaps 40 miles away.

"The Maasdam is an old ship constructed in 1993 and apparently never renovated"

Fact: The Maasdam has been renovated several times, most recently a multi million dollar SOE dry dock earlier this year.

I apologize for the dumb question... but what does SOE stand for?

I personally would not take the review too seriously...I have met people that complain that the sun is too bright & warm & the rain is too wet......they are probably the type of people that would complain about anything.. just to hear themselves complain....

... but what does SOE stand for?

Signature Of Excellence. It's a HAL initiative to upgrade minor and major components of the ship and cruise experience.

It ranges from such things as lighted make-up mirrors in all cabins, to upgraded towels, mattresses, sheets, to more substantial things like Explorations Cafe. There are dedicated Club HAL and teen areas (except on the Prinsendam).

Archived