Oberoi Philae Nile Cruise

murphysmum

Hello....

Although I've traveled and cruised extensively, I've never posted a review on Cruise Critic...plenty on TripAdvisor. I generally research and book my own vacations, filling in with guide/car services when necessary.

I've just returned from Egypt and would like to share information on the loveliest cruise I've ever taken. Having researched group tours and available cruises I decided on the Oberoi Philae and booked directly through the Oberoi website. The ship is in a class unto itself and I would rate it a 5-6 star experience based on atmosphere, decor, staff and service, quality of tours provided at each port, food and food service and overall ambiance.

The entire ship has a British Colonial flavor. All cabins have balconies with period iron work rails and rattan seating. Beds and bedding are to die for. Although cabins are rather small (suites are available), the open feeling/balcony and the very large public areas gave a feeling of spaciousness. The upper deck combined both sun and shade lounging areas around a beautiful pool. Parlour, tea room/lounge and dining room were "British country home"...dark wood, brass and tasteful decor.

The age of those aboard appeared to be 45-65 or 70. This is not a "party ship". It's upscale and sophisticated. Tour groups are broken into groups of 8-10 and you avoid the large buses belching smoke at temple sites. Guides provided by Oberoi were well versed in Egyptology and multilingual. We met groups from Spain, Germany, South Africa and the UK. Most had booked through tour groups except the young couple from England.

We sailed from Aswan to Luxor on the four day cruise. When we do it again, we'll spend six days on the ship...We didn't want to get off.

I would also recommend starting a trip with a stay at the Mena Oberoi, Palace Wing, Pyramid View with Balcony. Great experience all around and perfect for touring Pyramids and Sakkara.

We flew to Aswan and stayed at Old Cataract, Nile View with Balcony. Both of these older hotels are well worth the money; the reports of them being run down are simply not true.

After debarking in Luxor we flew immediately back to Cairo. I wish I would have spent extra time in Luxor. It would take four days just to begin to see the sights. We had only two.

We ended the trip at the Four Seasons First Residence. In this case, your choice is either a Nile view or a view of the Cairo Zoo. We chose a corner room with direct view of the zoo, corner view of Nile. Waking up to thousands of ibis circling the zoo trees and hippos lounging in their pond was quite an experience. The hotel is in a much quieter location than the other Four Seasons...away from the traffic and feels like a wonderful respite after the traffic chaos of Cairo traffic and a long trip.

If you are on a budget, it may help to price booking a trip individually as we did. We stayed in first class accommodations, yet paid no more than a moderately priced Egypt Tour. If you're after charm, elegance and a little "Agatha Christie", this is the trip for you.

I have deliberately omitted attempting to describe the wonders we saw in Egypt; they will be wonderful no matter how you decide to travel. Just because we heard a lot of concerns for our safety when we left for Egypt, I will add that we felt completely safe at all times. We walked the streets at night to shop and never felt a moment of risk. I hope this is helpful to someone!

Thanks for the post. When were you in Egypt?? We are planning on going next Nov. and was wondering what the weather was like. We are arranging a trip with 3 nights Cairo at the Grand Hyatt doing the normal excursions, 4 nights Nile cruise on Sonesta Moon Goddess from Luxor to Aswan, then 4 nights Lake Nasser cruise on Kasr Ibrim from Aswan (High Dam to Abu Simbel). We are pretty excited about going.

One question - how much money did you allow for bakshish (tipping)? From all the posts I read here and on Virtual Tourist and Trip Advisor, it sounds like you are handing out dollar bills right and left. What was your experience?

Thanks. And any other handy tips you want to pass along, I would love to hear.

The OP really makes me smile, because we just returned (10 days ago) from a 2 week trip to Egypt where we were also on a 4 day cruise on the Oberoi Philae. I agree with the prior review that this is a darn good river boat. There are over 300 boats doing cruises between Aswan and Luxor, and the Oberoi Philae is certainly one of the best. Is it 6 star? No. But, its probably about as good as it gets in Egypt. As to Luxor, we spent a couple of extra days at the Old Winter Palace Hotel and I highly recommend this hotel...particularly the rooms in the older wing (not the New Winter Palace). The Queen of Norway was also staying at the hotel during our stay. The weather in late Oct early Nov is perfect in Cairo and South to Luxor where daytime highs ranged from low 70s in Cairo to mid 80s in Luxor and Abu Simbal. However, we did encounter winter-like weather (50s) when spending a couple of days in the northern city of Alexandria. Regarding the Grand Hyatt, we spent 4 nights at this perfectly located hotel where all the rooms offer Nile views with small balconies. We were also impressed by the Marriott Hotel, which is on an island in the middle of the Nile where everything was a bit more upscale (many of the embassy personnel live in this area). I would also caution about the Oberoi Mena House Hotel which is very popular because of its location within a stones throw of the Great Pyramids at Giza. This hotel has a small wing in its old "palace" building where there are some excellent rooms. However, most rooms are located in newer buildings across the pool area from the main building, and these buildings and rooms are similar to well-worn Holiday Inn rooms. If you are planning to stay at this famous hotel, pay the extra dollars and insist on a Pyramid View in the Palace building.

Hank

Hi!

Regarding your questions about temperature in Egypt and tipping....We were just there...late October leaving on 15th November. The weather was actually quite pleasant...low 80's during the daytime and usually 60's at night except for one chilly night in Cairo.

I had taken a jacket, sweater and pashmina. I never wore the jacket, wore the lightweight cashmere one night and never wore the shawl...even when sitting on the upper deck of the ship late in the evening. Linen clothing came in very handy during the day in the dry heat. A lot of wraps are sold in the kiosks..some good quality, some not..but it's a nice thing to bring home. My husband had taken a navy blazer and we found that even in finer restaurants most people were more casual. I think he wore his sweater only once. In retrospect, I would take one comfortable sweater or jacket that would "pass" in an upscale restaurant and my husband would take only the blue blazer. It was probably colder on the plane than it ever was in Egypt.

As far as tipping, an Egyptian friend gave me advice before leaving home. He suggested changing our dollars to Egyptian pounds in the airport and tipping 10-20 per cent depending on service. I DID find a lot of outstretched hands, but most of it was done with good grace and it's pretty clear that many of the employees really need the money so I didn't find it particularly annoying.

I tipped the approximately the equivilant of $2 per bag, $10 per day for daily room cleaning (as the same person tended to the room morning and evening), 20 per cent of the cost of a private day tour to both the driver an the guide and found that most tips were included in room service so I simply added a very small amount to that.

While on the ship, we were told that tipping at the end would be at our option and were asked that money be put in one large envelope to be distributed evenly amoung the entire crew. We individually tipped our room attendant ($10 per day) and tour guide (same guide each day for approx 4 hours) the same amount. The assistant manager had been particularly helpful in giving me the room I requested, confirming airline, etc and we gave him $75. I think we put $20 per day in the large envelope to be distributed amoung the crew....We had so many people waiting on us at dinner that it was impossible to distinguish who to tip.

Do get some 1 pound notes at the airport for use in bathrooms (WC in Egypt). You can't get in and out of a bathroom without paying for your paper.

DO be careful when negotiating (probably in Aswan or Luxor) for donkey carriage rides. They're a lot of fun, but we negotiated fairly in Egyptian pounds and after the ride the driver demanded British pounds....quite a difference...and we're from the US. Since he happened to have dropped us next to the guard gate at the Old Cataract, the guard settled it pretty quickly. In this case, I did NOT tip...and would have been quite generous as we enjoyed the experience.

I hope that you enjoy your trip as much as we did and that this information is helpful.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the post. When were you in Egypt?? We are planning on going next Nov. and was wondering what the weather was like. We are arranging a trip with 3 nights Cairo at the Grand Hyatt doing the normal excursions, 4 nights Nile cruise on Sonesta Moon Goddess from Luxor to Aswan, then 4 nights Lake Nasser cruise on Kasr Ibrim from Aswan (High Dam to Abu Simbel). We are pretty excited about going.

One question - how much money did you allow for bakshish (tipping)? From all the posts I read here and on Virtual Tourist and Trip Advisor, it sounds like you are handing out dollar bills right and left. What was your experience?

Thanks. And any other handy tips you want to pass along, I would love to hear.

Hi!

Regarding your questions about temperature in Egypt and tipping....We were just there...late October leaving on 15th November. The weather was actually quite pleasant...low 80's during the daytime and usually 60's at night except for one chilly night in Cairo.

I had taken a jacket, sweater and pashmina. I never wore the jacket, wore the lightweight cashmere one night and never wore the shawl...even when sitting on the upper deck of the ship late in the evening. Linen clothing came in very handy during the day in the dry heat. A lot of wraps are sold in the kiosks..some good quality, some not..but it's a nice thing to bring home. My husband had taken a navy blazer and we found that even in finer restaurants most people were more casual. I think he wore his sweater only once. In retrospect, I would take one comfortable sweater or jacket that would "pass" in an upscale restaurant and my husband would take only the blue blazer. It was probably colder on the plane than it ever was in Egypt.

As far as tipping, an Egyptian friend gave me advice before leaving home. He suggested changing our dollars to Egyptian pounds in the airport and tipping 10-20 per cent depending on service. I DID find a lot of outstretched hands, but most of it was done with good grace and it's pretty clear that many of the employees really need the money so I didn't find it particularly annoying.

I tipped the approximately the equivilant of $2 per bag, $10 per day for daily room cleaning (as the same person tended to the room morning and evening), 20 per cent of the cost of a private day tour to both the driver an the guide and found that most tips were included in room service so I simply added a very small amount to that.

While on the ship, we were told that tipping at the end would be at our option and were asked that money be put in one large envelope to be distributed evenly amoung the entire crew. We individually tipped our room attendant ($10 per day) and tour guide (same guide each day for approx 4 hours) the same amount. The assistant manager had been particularly helpful in giving me the room I requested, confirming airline, etc and we gave him $75. I think we put $20 per day in the large envelope to be distributed amoung the crew....We had so many people waiting on us at dinner that it was impossible to distinguish who to tip.

Do get some 1 pound notes at the airport for use in bathrooms (WC in Egypt). You can't get in and out of a bathroom without paying for your paper.

DO be careful when negotiating (probably in Aswan or Luxor) for donkey carriage rides. They're a lot of fun, but we negotiated fairly in Egyptian pounds and after the ride the driver demanded British pounds....quite a difference...and we're from the US. Since he happened to have dropped us next to the guard gate at the Old Cataract, the guard settled it pretty quickly. In this case, I did NOT tip...and would have been quite generous as we enjoyed the experience.

I hope that you enjoy your trip as much as we did and that this information is helpful.

Enjoy!

• 4 years later...

I'm sorry to revive this thread but (pending political/social unrest in the region) I have been planning a trip to Egypt for myself which has been tentatively postponed, but I would still hope to embark later in the year if possible and I had a couple of questions.

Initially, I was not interested in exploring the deserts and valleys by way of the Nile but travelling by land. However, after having researched and planned a basic itinerary, I've decided that I would really like to fit a cruise on the classy Oberoi Philae into our plans somehow.

I wonder if anyone could comment and provide feedback on whether ot not the following IT would seem redundant based on our travels:

• Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh, Sinai - Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite (2/3 Nights)

• Mena House Oberoi, Cairo - The ***** Khaltoun Suite (3/4 Nights)

• Adrère Amellal, Siwa - Desert Rooms (2 Nights)

• Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh, Hurghada - Grand Suite (2 Nights)

• Al Moudira Hotel, Luxor - Luxury Suite (2/3 Nights)

• The Oberoi Philae, Nile Cruiser - Deluxe Suite (4 Nights)

In other words, would the final Nile Cruise at the tail end simply revisit all that we would have explored throughout our journeys already, and simply bore us by taking a different route along the same track (been there done that?) or would it offer new and equally exciting views and a memorable extended trip experience alongside the land portion of our travels? I realize this might be a silly time to be posting such a question, but as we were planning on booking around this time, (prior to the eruption of violence and uprising in the region), it has been on my mind and I would really like to try to make it over there as soon as we feel safe to travel.

Also, to those who have done this trip (as someone above had posted that they had wished they'd extended their Luxor stay by a couple of nights) - please feel free to comment upon or offer suggestions as to the length of stays in each destination as you might see above, there are still some uncertainties! Budget is not a factor as this would be a very special 'once in a lifetime' luxury trip. While one might easily assume that if the time and financial means exist to lengthen a stay in any part of the world, go for it... I really want every moment of this trip to be a 'highlight' and don't want to burn ourselves out. Even though we're young, travelling can be exhausting; But don't misinterpret leisure for boredome! I really want this trip to be a perfect balance of rousing sandswept adventures in the ancient lands of the pharoahs, and exotic Arabian nights in absolute opulence... so if you think we should lean towards x-number of nights in one destination, instead of another, please say so! It would be a shame to miss out on cultural experiences or significant sights, but I don't ever want to be lounging at hotel pools for days in a row waiting to move on. It would be a first time in Egypt for both of us, and a meaningful trip, so any advice and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!

We did not do a trip like yours, but rather a tour. We began with 3 nights in Cairo, then flew to Luxor and cruised the Nile for 7 nights. Down to Aswan and back to Luxor. 2 nights in Luxor (on the ship) then bus to Hurghada for 2 nights in AI. Flew back to Cairo for 1 night then flew home the next morning.

We chose this tour because of the Red Sea resort AT THE END of the trip. I am so glad we did. After the prior 12 days it was a wonderful relaxing way to end our trip.

There is so very much to see and do you are going going going...... so to enjoy the Red Sea at the end was perfect. We are both divers and truly enjoyed diving there.

I cannot imagine the trip without the Nile cruise part. The Nile is such a big part of Egypt and unlike many of the other ships, we lazily sailed down and back....... enjoying watching the villages and sites go by. Also, would your cruise take you to Aswan ? We visited the dam, the quarry with the unfinished obelisk and Philae temple. We also used it to fly out/in to Abu Simbel - one of the main sites I wished to visit. Do not miss Abu Simbel ! Also while on the way back down the Nile we visited Kom Ombo..... also a must see in my opinion.

I will say you should be a writer....... rousing sandswept adventures and exotic Arabian nights...... my. But those are perfect descriptions of our trip to Egypt. Be sure to visit the bazaars, smoke shisha at a hooka bar, listen to some Nubian musicians and immerse yourself in Egypt and the people.....who we found to be very friendly and just as curious about us as we them.

Thanks so much!

I like the idea of cruising the Nile at the tail end as well, because it would seem absolutely ideal to be able to kick back and simply take in the surrounding beauty of the land while lazily flowing down the river after so many days of constant travel and non-stop sightseeing. The cruise would indeed take us to Aswan; in fact it'd be our destination port. We'd leave from Luxor (initially the final stop of the trip) and sail to Aswan on a 4 night/5 day journey. Overall we're looking at about 20 nights total split between Sainai, Cairo, West Bank, Siwa, Hurghada, Luxor and the Nile river tour. Anyways, it sounds like an essential part of touring Egypt and you've convinced me that it's a must so as soon as we're able to safely travel again (hopefully soon!) I plan on booking the full itinerary with the Oberoi Philae cruise... Thanks again for your help!!

We did not do a trip like yours, but rather a tour. We began with 3 nights in Cairo, then flew to Luxor and cruised the Nile for 7 nights. Down to Aswan and back to Luxor. 2 nights in Luxor (on the ship) then bus to Hurghada for 2 nights in AI. Flew back to Cairo for 1 night then flew home the next morning.

We chose this tour because of the Red Sea resort AT THE END of the trip. I am so glad we did. After the prior 12 days it was a wonderful relaxing way to end our trip.

There is so very much to see and do you are going going going...... so to enjoy the Red Sea at the end was perfect. We are both divers and truly enjoyed diving there.

I cannot imagine the trip without the Nile cruise part. The Nile is such a big part of Egypt and unlike many of the other ships, we lazily sailed down and back....... enjoying watching the villages and sites go by. Also, would your cruise take you to Aswan ? We visited the dam, the quarry with the unfinished obelisk and Philae temple. We also used it to fly out/in to Abu Simbel - one of the main sites I wished to visit. Do not miss Abu Simbel ! Also while on the way back down the Nile we visited Kom Ombo..... also a must see in my opinion.

I will say you should be a writer....... rousing sandswept adventures and exotic Arabian nights...... my. But those are perfect descriptions of our trip to Egypt. Be sure to visit the bazaars, smoke shisha at a hooka bar, listen to some Nubian musicians and immerse yourself in Egypt and the people.....who we found to be very friendly and just as curious about us as we them.

My only question now is... Philae versus Zahara??

I personally much prefer classic and historic luxury to modern and contemporary design. I can't stand grand resort style accommodations, nor luxury hotel/shopping mall sized cruise ships that seemingly need to cater to every amenity rather than the smaller boutique lines centering on specific and focused qualities and services. Zahara is a lovely looking ship, and probably more comfortably pampered, however I feel that it lacks the timeless charm and classic elegance of the Philae's vintage riverboat modeled wheeler. That said, I've read some really disconcerting feedback of the Philae in reviews which have commented on the "tiredness" of the ship and cabins (I would only book for the Deluxe Suite) as well as the inadequecy of dining and overall disappointment with the luxury and comforts (or lackthereof) on this cruise liner. I'm a bit concerned and undecided in which of the two I should book. Any feedback or opinions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

I like the idea of cruising the Nile at the tail end as well, because it would seem absolutely ideal to be able to kick back and simply take in the surrounding beauty of the land while lazily flowing down the river after so many days of constant travel and non-stop sightseeing.

Perhaps I should re-post and explain a bit better.

The END of our trip was spent at the All-inclusive resort on the Red Sea at Hurghada. Not on the cruise.

The cruise was in the MIDDLE - and was very full of tours !!

After a go-go-go 4 days in Cairo we flew to Luxor. Then the Nile cruise stopped at various locations, we would get off and tour. We went all the way down to Aswan staying 2 nights there. Aswan was also go-go-go. On the return portion of the cruise, we also made stops/tours.

What I had meant to convey was that our ship was being passed on the river by all the other ships - very much in a hurry....while ours was not. I think because ours was a 7 day cruise and the others perhaps 3-4 day cruises. While on the ship we used our time to relax to re-charge for the next stop and the ensuing tours. While each stop and each tour was exhilerating - it was also exhausting.

AFTER the cruise we bused to Hurghada. No more tours - just relaxation.

Even our guide who had just done the opposite itinerary (RedSea first) said this was the better option. Hope that clears up any confusion.

Ah, thanks for verifying.

It just seemed to make more sense to book it prior to Luxor as it seems to be closest en route. Here's the tentative plan:

* Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh, Sinai - Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite (3 Nights)

* Mena House Oberoi, Cairo - The ***** Khaltoun Suite (4 Nights)

* Adrère Amellal, Siwa - Desert Rooms (2 Nights)

* Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh, Hurghada - Grand Suite (2 Nights)

* Al Moudira Hotel, Luxor - Luxury Suite (4 Nights)

* The Oberoi Philae, Nile Cruiser - Deluxe Suite, Nile-Facing View (4 Nights)

It seems that in terms of travel time and logistics, this would make the most sense and we could then fly straight out of Aswan Int'l after the cruise, rather than retracing all of our steps. It would also give us more of a break and surely much needed interval between Cairo and Siwa. After spending two nights in the Sahara dunes, a weekend at the Red Sea would seem perfect! I get what you're saying though about the cruise. As we'll have already visited the West Bank and sights in the ancient Valleys independantly earlier on in our trip, it will hopefully not feel as rushed or hectic on this portion. Did you venture to Sharm El Sheikh, Giza, Cairo and Luxor on your own prior to the Nile cruise, or did you do ALL of your exploration and sightseeing from the river? I could imagine how that would feel much more frantic since you're always on an endless schedule...

Did you venture to Sharm El Sheikh, Giza, Cairo and Luxor on your own prior to the Nile cruise, or did you do ALL of your exploration and sightseeing from the river? I could imagine how that would feel much more frantic since you're always on an endless schedule...

Actually we did a 15 day tour with Gate 1. It was amazing. The basic tour price included the air from NY to Cairo and back. It also included the flights within Egypt as well (Cairo to Luxor and Hurghada to Cairo) All our hotels and most meals were included. The 7 night Nile cruise was included. Some excursions were also included. Then they offered optional excursions at a very reasonable price. We bought most of them. We had a wonderful guide with us 24/7 from the time we stepped off the plane until we got back on to come home. All our entrance tickets were purchased ahead of time, the bus pulled right up to the front entrance and it was truly a very smooth and well executed tour !! We will definately travel with Gate 1 again - looking at Thailand next :)

Here is the link to the tour we took....... click on itinerary to see each day. Our guide did alot of extras with us also..... on his own time. He made the trip for us !!!!!

http://www.gate1travel.com/egypt-travel/egypt-tour-15degrs7dc11.aspx

We did not get to Sharm. Next trip :D

Wow, that sounds fantastic. I'm personally not a fan of all-inclusive meal plans but otherwise it looks really terrific. Did you feel like you really benefited from having a guide throughout your excursions? I really like the idea of guided tours through many of the ancient archaeological sites, but I feel as though we can easily manage the rest on our and I think we're both the type of travelers that really appreciate our independance. As it will sort of be a romantic getaway for the both of us, I'm not yet decided if following restrictive schedules and preplanned itineraries with gides at all times is how we want to do it. That's why I really like the idea of being able to explore the region on our for at least a week before embarking on the Nile cruise, where we'll be able to experience it all from a different perspective, as led by others. It seems less exhaustive that way. I did Thailand a few years ago and had the time of my life! We stayed at the Amanpuri in Phuket, Six Senses at Yao Noi, Samui and Hua Hin, the Phulay Bay Ritz in Krabi, Rayavadee in Ao Phra Nang, Alila Luang Prabang in Laos and the Four Seasons Tented Camps in the Golden Triangle which was an otherworldly experience! We spent a month touring the entire country, no cruising though. You'll have an incredible time!

Archived