Roz, Live From the ms Volendam

Roz

Hi! I posted this over one the roll call board for the next sailing, but thought I'd also post here. It's Day 8 of our 10-day Southern Caribbean itinerary. We left Pt. Everglades on Nov. 13 and will return Thanksgiving Day.

Having a wonderful time on the ms Volendam. Some observations to share with you:

1. The reported AC problems aren't here. All systems working fine.

2. Our CC roll call for Nov. 13 met on the second day, our first full day at sea. Enjoyed meeting everyone. Not a space alien or escaped felon in the bunch.

3. One couple in our group reported persitent toilet problems in their cabin. I've not experienced this personally.

4. The piano bar pianist/singer is absolutely terrible. I feel sorry for the bar waiters, because they're not making any money. No one wants to sit in there and listen to his loud, off key shrieking. His piano playing isn't much better.

5. Aruba is one of the most overrated places I've visited. It's dirty and rundown, and there's not much to see or do there. They got 8 inches of rain the day we docked, and many roads were flooded.

6. Curacao is WOW! Lots of us pleasantly surprised at how clean and beautiful it is. I took the trolley train tour and was very pleased with it. Make sure you visit the synagogue with the sand floor. I want to come back here and stay a week.

7. Today we're in Dominica. Probably the most beautiful island I've visited in the Caribbean in terms of natural beauty. Reminds me of the island in Jurassic Park. Took the best shore ex to the Emerald Pool, and then to a bar/dance hall where locals sang and danced for us. They were very entertaining. The last place we visited was the Botanical Garden. The island is very poverty stricken, so I'm hoping they can develop their tourism business.

8. There's something a bit off with the food on this cruise. A lot of dishes are lacking in taste, although I have had a few things that were really good, like the Dover Sole and the Braised Short Ribs. Last night, for the first time on a cruise, I sent back my entree. I cut into the pork chop and it was RAW. Can you believe it?

9. This is the friendliest crew I've ever encountered. Everyone from the maintenance men to the officers in white uniforms. I feel like this is my home. Now I understand what Doone has been saying all along about this ship and its crew.

10. An observation, not a complaint - the ship is showing signs of wear. A specific example is the dining room chairs. They need re-cushioned, reupholstered, and refinished. Or maybe just replaced! Anyway, it gives the DR a shabby appearance.

11. I'm having a great time!

Roz

Jean, I'd love to sail with you again. I'll buy the first round of drinks. The group is from the Phillipines, and they're called Crossover. I'm enjoying them.

KK, actually I didn't enjoy the Master Chef's dinner that much. The food itself didn't really appeal to me, and it started at 8:15 and ended at 10:15. I was hungry and tired from the day's excursion, and wasn't interested in having my food paraded around the DR. I sound cranky, don't I? :D

Sue, you'll have a great time.

Roz

Thanks Roz for the comments. Like Spot, we will be on the 12/3 Volendam. I'm disappointed about the piano player...that's always one of our favorite places to go when we cruise. Also concerned about your opinion of the food. Is it too much to hope they kick the piano player off the ship at the end of your cruise?

Lon

Thanks for posting. I am going to be on this ship in February -- it is the Panama Cruise. I haven't been on this ship and was looking forward to this cruise. Hope food is better and they kick this piano player on the ship.

Thanks for sharing.

Emily

Good news...I talked to one of the asst. cruise directors, and he said the piano player is a fill-in, and will be disembarking when we get back to Ft. Lauderdale. Someone else will take his place.

Roz

Good news...I talked to one of the asst. cruise directors, and he said the piano player is a fill-in, and will be disembarking when we get back to Ft. Lauderdale. Someone else will take his place.

Roz

Roz, thanks...you made my day!

NNN, yes the mini suites have all of the usual amenities, shampoo, conditioner,lotion, 2 sizes of soap, shower cap, sewing kit etc:cool:

Thank gawd! That's wonderful news. I dunno how I'm going to get all of this stuff in our suitcases. *she looks with disgust at her "packing area"* :rolleyes:

Many thanks for the reply.:)

Jean, thanks for answering Nanette's question about the toiletries. I used the Elemis shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and lotion, and was very pleased with them.

To those of you wanting to know the name of the piano player I didn't care for, I prefer not to use the names of people in a public forum like this, unless I'm saying complimentary about them. Hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Roz

To those of you wanting to know the name of the piano player I didn't care for, I prefer not to use the names of people in a public forum like this, unless I'm saying complimentary about them.
Besides, he's leaving the ship anyway.

Archived