Galveston to Dallas?

Meco21

Does anyone know how long of a drive it is to Galveston from Dallas? Mapquest shows like 4 to 5 hours, just wondered if that was accurate?

Yep, between 250 to 300 miles depending on your destination, take IH 45 North off the island, it goes to Dallas. Getting through extended Houston can be your greatest challange. The Conroe area North of Houston can get pretty congested.

I live in a suburb north of Dallas and we cruise every year out of Galveston. It usually takes us 5 hours with one stop. The police are out in a lot of locations, so speed limit is 70 in most areas. As mentioned earlier, congestion from Huntsville south through Conroe really slows you down. However, when it opens up south of Conroe, watch out. People drive like they are in the Indy 500. I actually get a little scared until we get through downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are trying to establish a timeline 5-7 hrs would probably do it, based on good traffic flow. The Conroe to North Houston stretch of I-45S can back up pretty good and slow you down, not too mention the stretch of I45S from the Beltway 8 interchange to the Dixie Road overpass south of Houston.

Once you get past Dixie Road it is clear sailing to Galveston, the only other construction is at the Causeway and it is not a problem.

HOw close is galveston to houston>????

we might be taking a cruise from galveston and we are flying in from CA.. im just wondering, im assuming galveston doesnt have an airport? correct me if im wrong anyone please. weve only been to houston to get a connecting flight to NO,,

any info id appreciate.

thank you

Melika091900-

No, Galveston doesn't have a commercial airport and it is necessary to fly into Houston. There are two airports in Houston, Bush (IAH) and Hobby (HOU). If possible, try to fly into Hobby, which is - depending on traffic and time of day - 45min to an hour from the cruise terminals. Bush Airport is located on the north side of Houston and travel time to Galveston can really be impacted by time of day and/or traffic. I'd say the typical travel time would be in the 1 1/2 -2 hour range. Travel times for both would be less if you are taking a local limo service cause those guys know how to avoid the delays a typical driver experiences when driving through a major urban area.

There are several threads on CC about limos, cruise transfers, rental cars, etc. from both airports to Galveston and they have lots of good info.

Archived