short time on island. Solo tour info

airlink diva

I'm visiting Martinique in April 2007. My ship is only in port from 7:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. :( . This is a very short time in port. I want to do a tour, but since I'm traveling solo and while it's a chance that someone on the boat would be willing to share a taxi for a short tour, I need to have a backup plan.

I really want to shop for handmade items, small painting, crafts,etc. If I don't do a tour, what's near-by for these items

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We've just returned from Martinique; our Princess cruise was there for longer than you'll be, but I think we can help you. Just as you get off the ship, there is a "mall" where you can buy some of the things you mentioned. You'll be docked right in Fort de France; the La Samane Park, which you can see from the ship, has "vendors" where we found everything we wanted to buy.

But . . . I think it would be a shame to go to Martinique and not see anything. I'd like to recommend a wonderful, knowledgeable tour guide, Kleber, who is a charming and sophisticated gentleman with an immaculate Mercedes. He took us around to see the Balata Cathedral [replica of Montmartre], a rum factory that was gorgeous, the ruins of St. Pierre, the Gauguin Museum, and then drove along the beach back to Fort de France. I don't know how much you can reasonably do in the time you have, but if you email him and tell him your time frame, he will be able to help you. He can also tell you where to buy the souvenirs you wish. His email address is kleber-gontran.magdeleine@wanadoo.fr I recommend him without reservation. Hope you enjoy Martinique as much as we did! :)

GG

Hi,

We've just returned from Martinique; our Princess cruise was there for longer than you'll be, but I think we can help you. Just as you get off the ship, there is a "mall" where you can buy some of the things you mentioned. You'll be docked right in Fort de France; the La Samane Park, which you can see from the ship, has "vendors" where we found everything we wanted to buy.

But . . . I think it would be a shame to go to Martinique and not see anything. I'd like to recommend a wonderful, knowledgeable tour guide, Kleber, who is a charming and sophisticated gentleman with an immaculate Mercedes. He took us around to see the Balata Cathedral [replica of Montmartre], a rum factory that was gorgeous, the ruins of St. Pierre, the Gauguin Museum, and then drove along the beach back to Fort de France. I don't know how much you can reasonably do in the time you have, but if you email him and tell him your time frame, he will be able to help you. He can also tell you where to buy the souvenirs you wish. His email address is kleber-gontran.magdeleine@wanadoo.fr I recommend him without reservation. Hope you enjoy Martinique as much as we did! :)

GG

Thanks for the info!! Someone else suggested him also. I e-mail him, got one reply from him. I sent him additional infomation and now I'm waiting to hear back.

Where you on the Sun Princess? I was leaning towards the ship, but got a better rate on another line.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

EarlM...fyi...the beach next to Ft. de France landing area is lovely, but when we were there several years ago we found out (afterwards) that it was a known hangout for drug deals....that's after my husband was stabbed at 11:30 in the morning! (he's fine now). However we found the ship's personnel knew it was a bad area...not sure if it's been cleaned up, but I'd be careful.

Jan

• 1 year later...

Archived