Worth $500 upgrade for Concierge Class?

jswrpw83

I'm considering the Constellation for a February cruise. The only Veranda cabins left are not midship and my daughter and husband like to be as stable as possible. I can move from forward on deck seven to midship on deck nine, but would have to pay for the Concierge Class upgrade. I'm wondering if anyone thinks this is a good deal?

Many thanks for your advice,

Well just over $200PP is what we've seen on prior cruises and we've enjoyed it. So on a Connie cruise for next February, which would be 10 or 11 days, I'd personally say yes - presuming the difference is in total and not per person. But as I always point out, this is a very personal decision based on both your own preferences and financial position. For some people anything more than an inside is a waste of money, and some wouldn't consider a room other than a larger suite. Now that we're cruising a bit more we're trying to save money on some cruises, but still would probably book the CC room at the difference you're talking about.

Here are some comments we posted on another thread after our recent cruise, which was our first in a non-cc room:

After four cruises in Concierge Class cabins we tried a "2C" cabin on the Connie a few weeks ago, taking advantage of a great last minute veranda guarantee fare that was substantially less then what a Concierge Cabin would have cost us. Overall we were happy with the cabin and didn’t miss the CC class cabin and amenities too much – but enough to continue to book CC class in the future if the price difference is just the 10% or so we’ve found in the past and maybe a little more if we could snag an aft CC cabin. If the price difference was significantly more than that, as it was this past cruise, we wouldn't hesitate to book a 2C cabin again.

While the 2C cabin was just fine we did miss the extra space, even though it isn't much, particularly the small amount of additional counter space, and nicer veranda furniture found in the CC rooms and the minor improvements in linens and other amenities. Our steward did bring us feather pillows and a mattress waffle topper without question when we requested them. We were also fortunate enough to get assigned to cabin 6030 which is one of the forward rooms which have veranda’s about twice the normal size. The extra space was nice and the veranda was bigger than a standard CC room veranda, although didn't have the larger table and nicer chairs - which wasn't a big deal for this cruise.

We are on the Jan 29th Connie cruise and I signed up for CC when I booked and then I kept watching the pricing fall as they tried to fill up. What they did on our cruise is make the CC about $50 more then the outside balcony. Celebrity will refund the drop in price if you happen to notice it when they post on the web site. By booking now you can get the room you want and knowing if the price changes you get the best of both worlds. The trick is to watch the web site every couple of days because they will lower it if they do not get enough people to bite on the price they have posted.

Good luck

I think some of you are missing the point. The OP and her daughter are looking for a midship location for stability. A regular (non-CC) balcony in this location is simply not available. I would say that the reason behind this preference will determine the answer. If the OP and her daughter will be seasick for 11 days in a non-midship cabin, then YES IT WOULD BE WORTH $500 TO FEEL OKAY AND ENJOY THE CRUISE. If it's a simple preference for more stability, then it's more murky...

All other things being equal, it doesn't seem that CC is worth $500 more. However, in this case, all other things are NOT equal. Each individual has to determine for him/herself how much weight those other factors have.

You guys are great! The cruise is for 10 days, and so the upgrade cost is 10% of the standard veranda room. I'm just not sure if the midship location, two levels highter up is better than a lower lever but forward room for sea sickness? I loved the tip about watching to see if the price falls. However, since this is Valentine's week and often Winter Break for many schools, this particular week may not be weak in attendance. I'll have to find out if they have the kid's program going on. Anyway, you all really did give me several points to consider. THANKS!

DH and I did Connie and our first cc cabin a few weeks ago. We really, really enjoyed the menu for breakfast in the cabin. Is it worth $500? Ummm, that's a very tough question. Because we really enjoyed having a full breakfast in our cabin without having to get showered and dressed to go out.

Shay

... we really enjoyed having a full breakfast in our cabin without having to get showered and dressed to go out.

Shay

You can get a full breakfast from room service in any stateroom as you can order any item available from the dining room during dining room hours. Although if you want to eat on the balcony, we found that the non-CC rooms didn't have a table large enough to eat at - just a tiny table for drinks.

I'll also repeat though, that we're in CC on a similar cruise in March, and again in the med in September, with a similar price difference and not thinking much about switching back. But that is our preference and not might not be the right answer for all.

I just did the Connie CC 6143 to New England/Canada 11 night cruise. I paid approx. $400 pp more for the CC. For cabin 6143 I felt it was worth it. The balcony was triple the size of a normal balcony, and the cabin was approx. 1-2 feet larger than the normal balcony cabin. We had fresh flowers everyday in the cabin and restroom, special Concierge breakfast menu, canapes every afternoon which we didn't care for so asked to have cheese and cracker plate instead which Seby (our attendant granted our request with fruit added), special massage shower head, special pillows, tucked in amongst the suites it was so quiet. And although Seby had all the suites on the port side of the ship, you would think we were the only cabin he had. He was always prompt and attentive. I'm glad I paid the extra money for CC, but to go to the 9th deck when you suffer from seasickness, I'd think twice about that. The higher up you are, the more you are going to feel the motion. That's a lot of money to spend to take a chance you will be seasick and not enjoy the cruise anyway. Just my opinion, I'd stay on the lower deck.:D

You can get a full breakfast from room service in any stateroom as you can order any item available from the dining room during dining room hours. Although if you want to eat on the balcony, we found that the non-CC rooms didn't have a table large enough to eat at - just a tiny table for drinks.

I thought that the standard CC balcony is the same size as a non-CC balcony. Just the room is 20 sq feet larger.

We have enjoyed the extra space on our two 14-day cruises in CC.

I thought that the standard CC balcony is the same size as a non-CC balcony. Just the room is 20 sq feet larger....

I think you're correct n that dileep. But in all the CC rooms we've had there has been a table height round pedestal table, maybe 24" in diameter or larger. When we've ordered breakfast the attendant has set it out there on request, sometimes even with a tablecloth. There was also a very small, maybe 12" in diameter drink table that was chair height, not table height. OK for setting a drink, coffee cup, or such on but not much more. In our 2C room a few weeks ago there was only the smaller table. So if we had breakfast out on the veranda we would have been holding our plates. Now in the standard size CC rooms it was a bit larger with the larger table, but it was nice having it there - and we just pushed it to the side when we didn't need it.

agabbymama - there are a hand full of CC rooms with largest than average verandas, and some of the rooms are large than average too. These are mostly great rooms, and 6143 is one of the better ones having a large veranda with wood flooring and a larger than average room as well. It and three other CC rooms are nestled between the suites on the penthouse deck. All the aft CC rooms have gigantic verandas which might be as big as the rooms themselves. If you search through the boards there are several threads that identify the room numbers of all the rooms on board which are larger than normal or special in some way.

I declined the room on the ninth floor because of the pool deck overhang--and if there had been any noise from above it would have really bugged me. My TA found room 8049. It does sit forward, but not as far forward as the non-CC veranda's on deck 7. There's really not a lot left in the veranda categories that accomodate three people! I guess I'll spring the total of $500 and take the CC class. There are no choices at all on any other deck: only decks nine, eight and seven. Some rooms are at the far aft, but the vibration keeps me up at night. Boy! I sure sound pickier than I am.

Thanks again to all,

We just did the CC class on connie. We thought the upgrade was worth it because we were able to get an aft cabin. the balcony was quite large. 3 lounge chairs a large dining talbe and 2 padded chairs and a small drink table and still plenty of room. That being said, I'm not sure I would Book CC unless it was notan aft. As Larry said, you can get anything from room service for breakfast in a regular cabin (we have done it) I don't think an aft would be good if you were prone to seasickness . So, the long answer to a short question, I would not upgrade to CC for that price unless it was an aft . We were able to upgrade for a total of 200 dollars more than our original price.

I declined the room on the ninth floor because of the pool deck overhang--and if there had been any noise from above it would have really bugged me.

Thanks again to all,

I do not like Deck 9 due to the overhang. On our South America cruise we were in a friend's room on deck 9 and the obstructed view did not allow me to take pictures of glaciers and I had to go back down to our cabin on Deck 8!

Archived