Transfers Gatwick to Dover

Thanks Deb...I will be anxious to hear how your tour/transfer works this year. Hopefully, we will be able to arrange something like it for next year. Please get me all the info you can...I would appreciate it. What is it costing?

Globaliser...I would consider train transfer but am concerned because of luggage. How does the train work? Do you have an idea as to the cost?

Thanks

Globaliser...I would consider train transfer but am concerned because of luggage. How does the train work? Do you have an idea as to the cost?
There is a railway station connected to the terminal at Gatwick airport. You have to change trains once for most journeys from Gatwick to Dover Priory, although some journeys require two changes. A saver return is £31.30 per person. This is an example of a fast journey in both directions, on which that fare is valid:-
Thursday 19 August 2004

GATWICK AIRPORT depart 12:53

TONBRIDGE arrive 13:37 depart 14:03

DOVER PRIORY arrive 14:58

Friday 27 August 2004

DOVER PRIORY depart 10:46

TONBRIDGE arrive 11:55 depart 12:04

GATWICK AIRPORT arrive 12:55

You can search for train times and fares on the trainline and on qjump.

Dover Priory station is in the middle of the town of Dover, and a short taxi ride away from the port.

Globaliser...thanks for the info..I sure do like the cost, but I'm afraid my husband would kill me if he had to drag 2 HEAVY suitcases on a train. Wonder if porters would be available to do the lugging?

The only honest answer about porters is "don't count on it". You can get luggage trolleys (carts) to help you to a certain extent, but they're not a complete answer because (for example) they are not allowed onto the platforms at Gatwick.

If you can't lift and carry your own luggage, then the train may well not be feasible, especially with the change of trains involved.

• 3 weeks later...
Check out Nationalexpess.com, they are a coach service that provides tranfers from Gatwick to many places.
It's actually http://www.nationalexpress.com. But they aren't the best bet for Gatwick to Dover because the only services they seem to offer are by connecting in central London. The journeys seem to take between 4½ and 5½ hours, which is a very long time. A car transfer might make more sense, even if it is more expensive.

As an earlier poster mentioned Centra executive Trave out of Dover is probably the least expensive. 90 pounds for two of you from Gatwick to Dover (ship or hotel). By the time you do the train and bus along with taxis for two it won't be that much more expensive and much more confortable. Remember you ARE on vacation. Michael.

Web site is http://www.centralexectravel.co.uk Good Luck

Archived