If we buy our own snorkeling masks, can we skip the fins

weebo

or can we rent just fins at the islands? I read the posts about buying your own equipment and I admit it makes sense.

No germs from someone else’s use of the masks and making sure you have a good fit...

But what exactly do we need? How much do you think we'd spend and can you get this stuff in Michigan? Is a scuba shop the best place to buy? I'd like to try it all on.

A scuba sgop is the best place to buy these items. This shop is in the snorkeling/diving business. They make it their job to help you and find you the best possible fit fins or whatever you buy.

Buy the whole snorkeling equiptment--mask, fins (if fullfooted), snorkel and a bag to carry all your things in. Ask the salesperson in the shop.:p

We just have our mask and snorkels (bought at a dive shop in WI). They cost about $75 ea, Well worth the cost. We have used them for a couple of years now and alos loaned them out to friends. They have more than paid for themselves and not so much the germ thing, but the comfort factor was why we decided to purchase. Ours are so soft and pliable they don't even feel like you have anything on your face or in you mouth. We also have bags to pack them in. We don't have fins and have always rented them onboard or through an excrusion, but I am going to try and rent some from the excursion desk/dive team for the entire week. I don't know if they will let us do that, but that's my goal next week. I'll let you know when I return!

Thanks 10XDenny.

We are in southeastern Michigan near the Ohio border. We have talked to the guys at Diver's Paradise on Reynold's road in Toledo about buying masks and snorkles. Probably will rent fins when we get there due to my DH groaning about how much this cruise is starting to cost! :)

Where abouts is your part of MI? (Go Bucks!;) )

Weebo

Weebo,

Sunfield is small town that barely warrants a dot on Michigan's map, with a population of about 550.

It is located on M-43 about 30 miles west of Lansing. We are in a unique location; 35 miles east of Grand Rapids, 20 miles south of Ionia, and 35 miles north of Battle Creek. Small town living with lots of big towns not far away.

My wife, Paula, and I have been on 11 cruises, with 3 more booked. We leave on the Crown Princess on 1/27/07 for back-to-back cruises out of San Juan, on a 31 night out of Sydney, Australia in April 2008.

We both love snorkeling and I scuba dive as well. We take all of our own equipment with us, including fins. I once had a bad fit on rental fins and they wore the skin off the tops of both feet the first time I used them. For the rest of the cruise I had trouble wearing shoes let alone do more snorkeling.

We try to snorkel at every port, but I do try to dive at two ports in a 7 day cruise. I don't like to leave Paula to fend for herself so I only dive when she can go snorkeling with friends while I'm gone.

Enjoy your snorkeling adventure.

Denny

We bought Body Glove snorkel, mask & fin sets for $20 at our local Sam's Club. They are the snorkels that close off when you dive under the water, and the mask and snorkel are very comfortable.

If you don't have a Sam's Club near you, or your store is out, you could try their auction website, as I have seen they have the snorkel sets there, but you'll pay shipping. My Dad calls it Sam-Bay - LOL!

Go here for the Sam's Club auction site (it is way hard to get to otherwise!) http://auctions.samsclub.com/

I checked and they had one auction, and the current price was $2.

• 2 weeks later...

I think fins are important. They make a few kinds. If you decide to pick up a pair, be sure to get the full foot style. They are very comfortable and do not require a water shoe. Also, when you buy the mask, make sure you clean the inside of the lense with toothpaste. During the manufacturing process the inside of the lense is covered in silicone greese. Although you cant see it, it's there and if you dont remove it, the mask will fog and you wont be able to see a thing. I like leisure pro. http://www.leisurepro.com

Their prices are great and they sell quality stuff.

:)

or can we rent just fins at the islands? I read the posts about buying your own equipment and I admit it makes sense.

No germs from someone else’s use of the masks and making sure you have a good fit...

But what exactly do we need? How much do you think we'd spend and can you get this stuff in Michigan? Is a scuba shop the best place to buy? I'd like to try it all on.

Based on your other question, I'd say definitely buy from a dive shop and make sure you get a mask that fits. I'd try to find a dive shop that had a pool and was willing to give/sell you some basic instruction in snorkeling that you were asking about.

One good thing is, if you are ok at snorkeling in their pool, it will be so much easier once you are in salt water.

We once purchased a 'package" from Wal-Mart. Used it once because the mask did not fit right, nor was the snorkel dry. Yes, we did not know the difference!

Next day we went to a pro shop and received great service. Our snorkeling experience now is well worth the money and snorkeling will be the high light of our next cruise in January.

We got the whole package of really great equipment online with Costco. We used it at every stop on the Spirit last February and are taking it again for our Dec. 17th sailing. It cost about $49.00 and is well worth the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a set off Amazon for $25 plus free shipping. It is by US Divers and includes fins, mask and snorkel but no bag. It looks like a decent set and has gotten good reviews. We'll see! I was also wondering about leaving the fins at home to save on space and not having to lug them into port, but it sounds like most recommend the fins. Am I right??

My husband, daughter and I all have really nice sets of masks, snorkels and fins. This last trip we left our fins at home (a lot of space in the suitcase). We were fine using the fins that the vendors had onboard in both Cozumel and Grand Caymen.

I would always take my mask and snorkel because I want a good fit and to know that they are sanitary. I guess I just don't worry so much about my feet.

Have fun!!!

If you rent the fins, make sure they fit properly and even then, I would suggest you wear socks with them to keep them from rubbing your feet raw. Most rental equipment is not the best quality but the toughest to stand up to constant wear.

As for defogger for a mask. Don't spend the money for expensive commercial products. Use a drop of Johnson's Baby shampoo in each lense, rub it around and slightly rinse the mask. I scuba dive and that's what most of the professionals use.

We take our own masks and snorkels on vacation, and have really liked US Divers brand. If fins are available on a trip (included with a snorkeling tour) we use them. If we're on a deserted beach, we go finless with no problem.

If you buy your own mask and snorkel, rinse them thoroughly after swimming with fresh water, because salt does a number on equipment. A quick squirt from a water bottle will work temporarily; just rinse them in a sink later that day. I also recommend a good defogger; I've seen people use baby shampoo, toothpaste, and spit, but I prefer dive shop defogger, with baby shampoo being a close second.

I bought my stuff at a dive shop a few years ago and paid big $.

A few months ago I bought a full set for MDW at about half the cost & it fits her great. With all the silicon masks these days the fit is much better. I suggest that you at least take a look at http://www.snorkel-mart.com/ .

I also suggest that you find the room in your luggage to take fins too!

You definitely need fins for snorkeling in the ocean, especially in Cozumel where we have currents. Even a mild current can be impossible to kick against without fins.

If buying your own masks and fins, fit is one of the primary concerns. It sounds like a simple enough item, but every manufacturer has different sizes, shapes, frames, etc. As far as fins, some are wider in the foot, have softer bindings, etc. I DO recommend FULL FOOT fins for snorkeling (vs. strapped fins that require booties). The full fut fins are much better for surface swimming.

If you don't have a good fit in the mask, you'll find your mask filling up with water constantly.

If you don't have a good fit on the fins, you'll end up with blisters because they are too tight, or because they are too loose. If they are too loose, you can also end up with severe leg cramps as your swimming technique changes as you fight to keep them from slipping off.

For these reasons, it is not a good idea to buy these things online unless you have already tried on a particular mask/fins and know what you want. I AM NOT saying to go to a local dive shop and try the stuff on and then buy online. You need to support the shop that is providing the service. However, if you've tried a friends mask/fins, or rented a set you liked...that would be a good instance to buy online.

Investment in a good mask, snorkel and fins is worth it. They will last a long time and if yo decide to get into scuba, proper fit and comfort become critical.

Archived