Help with sedan service plan for Miami - Holland or Limos of Miami?

Scotch

Background: We're driving down from Orlando for our NCL cruise out of Miami. I have decided to cancel our Intercontinental Miami reservation and book at a small beach side lodge in Hollywood Beach instead for two nights before our cruise because it is so much cheaper, we'll get a 1 bedroom suite for the three of us, and we'll have easy walk to what sounds like a wonderful family friendly beach and boardwalk. We're renting the car from National and my original plan was to drop it off at the South Beach office the morning of our cruise, then take the free shuttle to the port. We want to try and get to the port by 11:30 am as it should give us sufficient time to get onboard and eat lunch before DS (2 1/2) needs to nap by 2:00. The only negative about the National car shuttle to the port is the fact that it is hard to anticipate exactly when the shuttle will be taking off from the South Beach office. I'm told that it just goes continuously back and forth between the office and the port, which equals roughly 40 minutes roundtrip. So it is possible that we'd arrive at the car rental office and just miss the shuttle; then we'd have to wait around 40 minutes for the shuttle to return. To avoid missing our goal we'd have to arrive at the office earlier.

So now I'm thinking of having DH return the rental car at the FLL office (as that is the closest to Hollywood) a day in advance, take either a taxi or a shared ride shuttle back to the motel, then take a private sedan service the next day directly to the Port of Miami. I know this would cost more, but it seems to add only around $40 more to the tab (when accounting for the cost savings of returning the car a day earlier). Giving our big savings staying in Hollywood instead of downtown Miami (or Miami beach), I don't mind.

Here is where I need help:

A shared shuttle ride back to Hollywood seem to cost around $11; does anyone know how much a taxi ride would cost from FLL to Hollywood Beach?

Also, I've narrowed the private car service down to Holland Limousine and Limos of Miami. I had sought quotes from all the companies previously mentioned on this board, including Larry's Limo and Tri-County Transportation. Two emails to two separate addresses on their website to Larry's Limo bounced back. I had previously read how they are not responsive to emails so people should call instead but I prefer to get my quotes/info in writing and I don't want to do business with a company that advertises on the internet but can't respond via email. Tri-County is out only because its quote is $70 plus gratuities whereas Holland is $60 plus gratuities and Limos of Miami is $65 plus gratuities. The $5 or $10 different doesn't really matter to us if I perceived any difference in quality; since I don't (based on previous comments on this board) I simply ruled out the more expensive one. Right now Holland is ahead because they don't need to take a deposit for a seaport transfer, they won't charge my credit card until the trip is completed, and they don't have a cancellation policy for seaport transfers (I can cancel even hours ahead if necessary.) I'm still waiting to hear back from Limos of Miami re its terms, but the original email quote mentioned the need of a deposit and its website mentions a 14 day cancellation policy (I just don't know if they waive it for seaport transfers the way Holland appears to). But I don't hear Holland mentioned that much on this board, at least not anywhere near as often as Limos of Miami. I'd appreciate it if others with experience using Holland could chime in here to give me more basis for comparing the two companies. Thanks in advance!

MaryAnn,

I'm embarassed to say that your suggestion never occurred to me! It won't be much cheaper actually because I'll have to pay an extra day of car rental (full size car); it'll save us roughly $20 compared to the private sedan plan. I do like the idea of being picked up from the motel the day of the cruise and getting dropped off right at the port, though. But yes, this does seem less confusing. I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived