Booze Purchased On a Cruise - Airport Concerns???

CruiseChat

You will not be allowed to carry any liquids besides your quart plastic bag with small amounts of personal itmes onboard the aircraft. Therefore, booze, whether packaged in the islands or elsewhere is NOT ALLOWED as carry on luggage. It must be checked either in your luggage or boxed up and will count in the allowed amount of luggage that your carrier excepts. (usually 2 checked bags per person)

The answer to your question depends on where you are coming from, but in general....

You can carry 3 ounces (each) of liquid/gels/aerosols/creams/lotions per person in a ziplok no larger than 1 quart. So, unless you plan to buy your alcohol in the duty free stores within the secured areas of US airports, pack well.

For those who are coming home through a duty free airport, such as San Juan, you can purchase liquor from the duty-free shop after you've cleared security and carry it on board. The prices were pretty much the same as in any of the islands and if you puchase 4 bottles, they throw in a neat cushioned container with nice carry handle. Duty free also had perfume, cigarettes and some jewelry,,,but the Grey Goose is what flew home with me. Personally, I would not carry liquor home is luggage,,,,,,,ever watch the rampers throw that luggage around. If your's made it home, you are one of the lucky ones.

For those who are coming home through a duty free airport, such as San Juan, you can purchase liquor from the duty-free shop after you've cleared security and carry it on board. The prices were pretty much the same as in any of the islands and if you puchase 4 bottles, they throw in a neat cushioned container with nice carry handle. Duty free also had perfume, cigarettes and some jewelry,,,but the Grey Goose is what flew home with me. Personally, I would not carry liquor home is luggage,,,,,,,ever watch the rampers throw that luggage around. If your's made it home, you are one of the lucky ones.

That only works if you're not connecting anywhere. If you have a direct flight home, you can get it at the duty free at the airport, if you connect, they won't let you take it on the second flight. We bought some of those Rum Runner flasks and will fill those and put them in our luggage to bring home. A lot safer bringing home plastic.

We bought 3 bottles on the Crown last week, & then realized that security would not let us carry it on so we went back to check-in & one of the American Airlines supervisors told us that we shouldn't check it packed in the travel carton that Princess provided because it would never arrrive intact. He suggested that we check one of our carry-ons & was able to rearrange our carry-on & pack the liquor by ripping the original laquor carton & using it to protect the bottles. He did this right in the middle of the concourse floor & worked very hard at it! He was so helpful & refused a tip, so I took his name & have written a letter of praise to AA headquarters in Dallas & San Juan. He really went above & beyond!

We brought home 3 1 litre bottles from our cruise a couple of weeks ago. Living in Western Canada, we had two long flights, connecting in Toronto. We took the chance and packed all three in our checked bags. I had taken along large ziplock baggies and extra green garbage bags. We wrapped the bottles in the plastic bags then secured them with our clothes. It worked great and they survived baggage handlers at three airports. As long as you're buying hard liquor like Vodka it's easily washable out of clothing anyway. Worse case, you lose your bottle of booze (we paid $6.00 for a 1 litre of Absolute) which I can live without and it makes a bit of a mess in your suitcase.

Archived