RCI Freedom VS Carnival Freedom

DISFANS3

I am looking for Info on RCI Freedom vs Carnival Freedom. Size of cabins, Price 7-day, Teen activitys? I know Carnival Freedom will not be open until 07. Have been on Disney, looking for something different. Like to go in May 08... Any help. Thanks...

Hey Disfans3,

I haven't been on the Carnival Freedom, but when selecting a ship, you have to do some research on the cruiselines and what they have to offer and what type of demographics they target. So basically you have to choose the cruiseline of your interest rather than the ship. Carnival, in my opinion is a party ship. You have a younger crowd who enjoys partying every night and more of a Las Vegas type of feel~neon everywhere, exaggerated decor, adult waterslide, kid friendly, etc. As far as Royal Caribbean, it is more sophisticated and targets the age range from late 20's-60's and also has a huge area dedicated to kids and teens. Royal Caribbean basically offers a more of a variety of things for people within this range. THeres a rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, promenade (like a street running through the ship), and many other fabulous public areas. So you have to ask yourself which suits you and your family better?

Hey Disfans3,

Carnival, in my opinion is a party ship. You have a younger crowd who enjoys partying every night ..

I must have missed this on my last six Carnival Cruises.:rolleyes:

OP, Carnival is not just a place to party. There are places on board, to party, if that is what you choose. As far as a younger crowd, well I dunno about that either, I have seen many people of all ages, including many seniors on Carnival ships. In fact I read that Carnival carries more seniors than any other cruise line.:cool:

*I* am not one to make a broad generalization, and I have not sailed RCCL yet ( 17 more days and I will ) but I have a strong feeling that when I do, I will find that Carnival and RCCL are more alike than either of the fans care to admit.:eek: Carnivals decor is definately NOT toned down. On the earlier vessels you will find a lot of neon, glitz etc.. Its still there on the later ships, but a little more subdued. You will always find something to do onboard.

I personally think no matter what you choose you will have a great time.

-Mike

Having been on both, not recently but still, I have to say that I liked RCL better. When I did sail Carnival their camp staff was not very well trained and the activities suck but RCL had lots of things to do. Especially with the newer class ships having rock climbing and skating it will attract the young adults because they will never be bored.

I would say choose RCL Freedom, much more to do.

RCI Freedom is much larger with many more activities. They have the surfing, ice skating, water park and more pools. There is really no comparison. On average, carnival rooms are larger. But in my opinion, RCI is worth taking a few less sq ft for. Freedom is an awesome ship. You will love it. You can also look at Carnival Liberty...the newest ship in that class. It is almost identical to Carnival Freedom. Check out webshots.com for comparison photos.

Have done 3 CCL and 3 RCI and by far there is more to do on the ship of a RCI line. If you only want to drink and sit by the pool then CCL will save you some money and take you to the same places. To me at this point, I enjoy what the ships offer and there is more to do on RCI. I enjoy the art on this line more and the sophistication of layout vs ccl. The food is a bit better on CCL and the entertainment is about the same, with CCL giving a more adult edge to late night comedy. ALso, they do more with the shows...fireworks, aerial artists.... but I will still be on RCI since I love their ships.

I have sailed both: Royal Caribbean on Explorer of the Seas(2004, 2005) and just returned from Carnival Legend (11/08). Straight to the point...we will never sail Carnival again. Royal Caribbean offers much more in the way of activities, entertainment, and food selections. Overall, the staff on Royal Caribbean was much more pleasant and friendly.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You will make it the vacation you want it to be.

I was recently on the Carnival Liberty (same as Carnival Freedom) and I've been on a few Royal Caribbean Voyager class ships (similar to Freedom class on RCCL) and I'd have to go w/Royal Caribbean. I thought that the Carnival Liberty would have the same feel as a Royal Caribbean Voyager class ship but it didn't at all. The Carnival Liberty was huge and had the potential to be an awesome ship but I'd say only about 1/2 of the areas were utilized, if that. There were a lot of great spaces but they were almost always vacant, with the exception of the promenade at night and the clubs that were located off of it. I'd definitely say that Royal Caribbean knows how to use the ship better than Carnival, and I'd choose the Freedom of the Seas. Also, the layout of the Carnival Freedom is just crazy. I was on the Liberty (again, same ship as Carnival Freedom) for 12 days and I still couldn't get from point A to point B without passing ZDXY and up 10 flights and then down 4. And I'm usually an expert w/these things! It drove all of us nuts (and we're all in our 20's...we usually like challenges)!! It wasn't the size, just the poorly designed layout. Also, the food on Carnival was pretty much always cold and not so great, and the service on Royal Caribbean is way better, in my opinion. Good luck!

Laura

I did forget to say service on RCI is superior to CCL. The cabin stewards say hi to us by name, the waiter cut our kids food for us... Although the cabins are bigger on ccl, it is also not as well insulated, thus you hear things from the next cabin and the hallway. Never had this on RCI. And the space in the cabin is utilized better. Better storage and such.

It's been a while since I have been on carnival, but that is because I also agree with a lot of posters here. RCCL offers so much more to do, especially on these voyager class ships. I have been on the mariner 3 times now and I still find new things to do, it amazes me every time. I love the royal promenade area, the parades, the parties...there is always something going on.

I loved all of my carnival cruises but there ships do not seem to have as much to offer compared to these voyager class ships. I just got off the freedom, if you have kids the flow rider was awesome. We have taken several teenagers with us, they have their own deck, game room, johnny rockets, basketball court, minature golf, inline skating, ice skating..and I can keep going, there is plenty to do on these ships.

Honestly I would do more carnival if they offered more things like the voyager class ships do.

I did forget to say service on RCI is superior to CCL. The cabin stewards say hi to us by name, the waiter cut our kids food for us... Although the cabins are bigger on ccl, it is also not as well insulated, thus you hear things from the next cabin and the hallway. Never had this on RCI. And the space in the cabin is utilized better. Better storage and such.

LOL, that was my exact experience on RCI!! To be fair, we were on the SOS, so I am looking forward to trying one of the larger ships... but the service on the SOS was not very good... I was never referred to by my name the entire time... they pushed drinks ever 2.5 seconds, but never bothered to learn my name... but on each of my CCL cruises, I have been called by my name by stewards, bartenders and waiters. It could have just been a bad sailing.. the staff seemed extremely agitated at the passengers, so maybe it was the end of contracts for many... I will say that the number one thing that Carnival has over at least the SOS was cabin size.... I don't think I could cruise with more than 1 in those cabins from now on!!!!

To the OP... I agree about taking into account what you are interested in. For me, I could care less about skating rinks, climbing walls, etc... I can have any of that at the mall down the street... I would say that all in all, the lines are more similar than they are different... they are both mass market cruise lines and the service, food, etc are going to be similar. If you are interested in the addl activities, take RCI... I don't think you can go wrong with either. Also, you will find that the newer ships are not "purple and neon" like many think... and they are definitely not "party ships"... They are, just like any mass market cruise line, going to have people of all ages, who enjoy doing many different things. Whatever you decide, have a great time!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I have sailed both lines and have to say that there is not a great deal of difference in the two. Both must compete for the mass market and have done so nicely. I would disagree that Carnival is a party line. On the Miracle, they did have activities geared in the evening toward those who wanted to "drink the night away," but I think there have been as many instances published about RCI (lest we forget the late "George" and his bride) about people partying too much. Can't say I've heard these stories about Carnival.

I was very pleased with the Miracle activities (we do not party) as well as RCI. I think that RCI now has one up on Carnival with the Voyager Class and now Freedom. But if you don't care for these type things, then it won't matter. When a ship is new, that is part of the enjoyment for me.

In the end, I really think it is the itinerary that makes or breaks a cruise as well as the weather.

If you are physically active or like to watch people then I would say RCI is going to be a point ahead in the game for you.

Now...what is with these lines using the same names all of the sudden for their mega ships???? What department is in charge of that?:D

I have been on the Carnival Freedom's sister ship the Glory. It is one of the worst designed ships built today IMHO. First of all the passenger flow is bad. Many areas you have to go up or down to move from the front to the rear of the ship. Second, the ship is crowded around the pool area due to the stadium style seating. Take into effect that the Conquest class of Carnival only has a passenger to space ratio of 37 and the Freedom class of RCI has a PTSR of 44. A HUGE difference in space. Carnival is placing 2974 passengers on a ship that is 110,000 tons. RCI is only placing 660 more passengers on a ship that is 50,000 tons larger.

Here is my opinion of the two cruise lines after taking a total of 23 cruises between the two lines.

Carnival = 16 times including everything from four day to eight day cruises.

Royal Caribbean = 7 times with everything from four day to seven day cruises.

Ships – The Voyager and Freedom class ships are in a class by themselves. No cruise line has a ship that can touch the options that these ships offer. Even if you are not into rock climbing, ice skating or using the flow rider, the ships themselves are a destination like no other. The Royal Promenade is a one of a kind. RCI has ships that IMHO are decorated like ships with lots of brass and glass. Carnival is very over the top in décor and basically Vegas at sea. Nothing wrong with that but I grew tired of it. I like the space ratio of the newer RCI ships. The worst designed ship that I have cruised IMHO is the Destiny/Conquest class. Poor passenger flow with crowded areas on the promenade deck and around the pools. Very poor passenger to space ratio as well. Ships always felt crowded and they were. Like the Spirit class though. Nice design. Also RCI does a much, much better job of keeping their ships clean and in good working order.

Cabins – On the older class ships Carnival easily takes the award for the larger cabins but on the newer ships RCI is about even with Carnival having a few more feet in the cabin and RCI with a little larger balcony but are just about equal in total square footage. RCI has much nicer suites. RCI also will be complete in the spring of 07with the new upgraded bedding.

Entertainment – Both are pretty close to be equal. Carnival has more comedy acts throughout the week where RCI does a better job with their major productions shows. Main show lounge on the Voyager class ships are much nicer than those of the Conquest or Spirit class ships. Better sight lines. RCI does not have those annoying games of bingo and selling of lottery tickets before the shows.

Food – Both are again very close but keep in mind that food is very subjective and we all have different taste buds. I feel that they both are equal in the main dining rooms. Royal Caribbean has a much better room service menu where you can order hot items such as pizza, hamburgers and cheeseburgers. Also one can order hot breakfast items such as omelets, bacon and eggs. You can also order from the dining room lunch and dinner menus. None of this is available on Carnival. Royal Caribbean also does a much better job with their evening casual dining options. Many items to choose from including items that are being served in the main dining room. Carnival fails here miserably. Carnival has much better pizza and deli.

Service and crew - IMHO this is where I noticed the biggest difference. The crew on RCI is much more professional and much more friendly and outgoing. Most of the crew on Carnival is somber and act like they are going through the motions of a day to day routine.

Past Guest Program – Both cruise lines offer them but it took Carnival over 30 years to put one into place and it does not match that of RCI.

Some folks will say that there is not much difference in the two lines but for me there is a huge difference. So much that I will not sail with Carnival again. To me their product is cheaper and not in price but in the overall product that they deliver. It all comes down to what one expects in an overall cruise experience and for me RCI delivers that and Carnival falls short in many areas.

Ships – The Voyager and Freedom class ships are in a class by themselves. No cruise line has a ship that can touch the options that these ships offer. The Royal Promenade is a one of a kind.

I agree with this statement 100%. I've toured Carnival ships, including the Freedom sister ship, Carnival Liberty. IMO, they just don't compare to RCI when it comes to ship design. In fact, no cruise line does. I always consider trying new ships, but just can't bring myself to book Carnival.

RCI's Royal Promenade was a genious idea.

Archived